Designate St George’s Day, or the nearest working day, as an annual public
holiday in England with effect from 2012; to designate St David’s Day, or the
nearest working day, as an annual public holiday in Wales with effect from
2012; and for connected purposes.
Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and
consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present
Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
(1) The Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971 is amended as follows.
(2) In Schedule 1, after paragraph 1, there is inserted—
The following is to be a bank holiday in England (but not in
23rd April (St George’s Day) if it be not a Saturday or Sunday or, if it
be a Saturday, 22nd April, or, if it be a Sunday, 24th April.
The following is to be a bank holiday in Wales (but not in
Should under these provisions the St George’s Day bank holiday fall on Good
Friday or Easter Monday, the Secretary of State may by order made by
statutory instrument designate an alternative date for the bank holiday.
There shall be paid out of money provided by Parliament any increase attributable to
this Act in the sums payable out of money so provided by virtue of any other Act.
St George\xd5 s Day and St David\xd5 s Day BillPage 2
(1) This Act may be cited as the St George’s Day and St David’s Day Act 2011.
(2) This Act comes into force on 1 January 2012.
(3) This Act extends to England and Wales only.