Require the Secretary of State to include the teaching of emergency life
support skills in schools as a compulsory part of the National Curriculum; and
for connected purposes.
Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and
consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present
Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
(1) The Education Act 2002 is amended as follows.
(2) In section 76, after the definition of “attainment targets” insert—
“emergency life support skills” means the set of actions needed in
an emergency situation to keep someone alive until
professional help arrives.”
(3) In section 80, after paragraph (d) of subsection (1) add—
in the case of a secondary school and a special school, provision
for emergency life support skills lessons for all registered pupils
at the school who are provided with secondary education.”
(4) In section 84, after paragraph (h)(ii) of subsection (3) insert—
“(iii) emergency life support skills.”
(5) In section 85, after paragraph (c) of subsection (4) insert—
“(d) emergency life support skills.”
This Act may be cited as the National Curriculum (Emergency Life Support
Skills) Act 2012.
(2) This Act comes into force six months after the day on which it is passed.
(3) This Act extends to England only.