European Union Bill
TO BE MOVED
[Supplementary to the Marshalled List]
Page 2, line 24, after “that” insert—
“(a) a referendum does not need to be held in accordance with section (Process for determining the necessity of referendums); or
After Clause 2
Insert the following new Clause—
“Process for determining the necessity of referendums
(1) There is to be a joint committee composed of members of both Houses of Parliament established for the purpose of examining whether a referendum is necessary under this Act.
(2) The joint committee established under subsection (1) is to be known as the “European Referendum Scrutiny Committee”.
(3) When a draft treaty or draft decision is referred to the committee under this Act it must report to both Houses with a recommendation on whether, in the opinion of the committee, a referendum is necessary.
(4) In considering whether a referendum is necessary under subsection (1), the committee must have regard to—
(a) the significance of the treaty or decision;
(b) the urgency of the treaty or decision; and
(c) whether the treaty or decision is in the national interest.
(5) A referendum is not required where—
(a) a report of the committee containing a recommendation has been made in accordance with this section; and
(b) a motion stating that a referendum is not required is approved by each House of Parliament.”
Page 4, line 7, at end insert—
“( ) A treaty or Article 48(6) decision does not fall within this section if it does not extend the European Union’s existing competencies, but in the view of the Minister merely contains provisions to enable those competencies to be exercised more effectively in the national interest of the United Kingdom.”
BARONESS WILLIAMS OF CROSBY
Leave out Clause 18