Make provision about the registration and licensing of scrap metal dealers;
and to amend the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964.
Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and
consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present
Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
The Secretary of State shall consult relevant bodies on the operation of section
1 of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 (registration of scrap metal dealers).
(2) The result of such consultation shall be laid before both Houses of Parliament.
(3) Following such consultation, the Secretary of State may, by order—
(a) repeal section 1 of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964; and
establish a new registration and licensing scheme for scrap metal
An order made under this section shall be made by statutory instrument
subject to an affirmative resolution of both Houses of Parliament.
In section 2 of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 (records of dealings), after
subsection (2)(c) insert—
“(ca) the method used to pay for the scrap metal;”.
In section 5 of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 (other offences relating to scrap
metal), after subsection (2) insert—
If any scrap metal dealer accepts or makes payment in cash that dealer
shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on
the standard scale.”
Scrap Metal Dealers (Amendment) BillPage 2
(1) This Act may be cited as the Scrap Metal Dealers (Amendment) Act 2011.
(2) This Act comes into force on the day on which it is passed.
(3) This Act extends to England and Wales only.