Amend the Airports Act 1986.
Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and
consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present
Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—
(1) The Airports Act 1986 is amended as follows.
After section 30 (directions to airport operators in the interests of national
security etc) insert—
The Secretary of State may give to any airport operator a direction
requiring him (according to the circumstances of the case) to do, or not
to do, a particular thing specified in the direction, if the Secretary of
State considers it necessary to give such a direction in the interests of
ensuring sufficient national air infrastructure between hub and
In section 34 (matters to be taken into account by CAA), after subsection (3)(a)
the need to ensure adequate services between hub and regional
(4) In section 39 (imposition of conditions by CAA), after subsection (2)(b) insert—
to ensure sufficient national air infrastructure between hub and
(5) In section 82 (general interpretation), after the definition of “functions” insert—
““hub airport” means an airport used as a transfer point for
passengers from one flight to another in order to complete a
Airports (Amendment) BillPage 2
(1) This Act may be cited as the Airports (Amendment) Act 2012.
(2) This Act shall come into force on the day on which it is passed.