Local Government Finance Bill
TO BE MOVED
IN GRAND COMMITTEE
[Supplementary to the Second Marshalled List]
BARONESS HOLLIS OF HEIGHAM
Page 58, line 8, after “income” insert “including universal credit”
Page 66, line 19, at end insert—“LGFA 1988
1A In Part 1 of Schedule 11 to the LGFA 1988 (the Valuation Tribunal for England), after paragraph A18 insert—“Power for member of First-tier Tribunal to act as member of the Tribunal
A18A (1) A member of the First-tier Tribunal (an “FTT member”) may act as a member of the Valuation Tribunal for England.
(2) An FTT member may only act as a member of the Tribunal—
(a) at the request of the President and with the approval of the Senior President of Tribunals,
(b) in relation to an appeal that relates, in whole or in part, to a council tax reduction scheme made or having effect as if made by a billing authority in England, and
(c) if the FTT member is not disqualified from being, or acting as, a member of the Tribunal.
(3) A request under sub-paragraph (2)(a)—
(a) may relate to a particular appeal or to appeals of a particular kind,
(b) may be made only if the President thinks that FTT members are likely to have particular expertise that is relevant to the determination of the appeal, or to appeals of the kind, to which it relates.
(4) An approval under sub-paragraph (2)(a) may relate to a particular appeal or to appeals of a particular kind.
(5) The President may withdraw a request at any time; and an FTT member acting as a Tribunal member in response to a request must cease to do so if it is withdrawn.
(6) References in this Schedule and in regulations made under paragraph A19 to a member of the Tribunal include an FTT member acting as a member of the Tribunal.
(7) But sub-paragraph (6) does not apply—
(a) to paragraph A7, A8, A9, A10 or A12 (which make provision about the appointment and removal of, numbers of, and payments to, members of the Tribunal);
(b) to regulations under paragraph A19, if and to extent that the regulations provide that it does not apply.
(8) The Valuation Tribunal Service may make payments to the Lord Chancellor in respect of the expenditure incurred by the Lord Chancellor in paying remuneration, allowances or expenses to an FTT member whilst acting as a member of the Tribunal.
(9) In this paragraph—
(a) references to an appeal include a review by the Tribunal of a decision made by it on an appeal,
(b) “council tax reduction scheme” has the same meaning as in Part 1 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 (see section 13A(9) of that Act).””
Page 67, line 5, at end insert—
“6A The Local Government Act 2003 is amended as follows.”
Page 67, line 6, leave out “of the Local Government Act 2003”
Page 67, line 7, at end insert—
“8 In section 105(2)(aa) (functions of the Valuation Tribunal Service: payments to members of the Valuation Tribunal for England), after “A14” insert “or A18A(8)”.”
After Clause 11
Insert the following new Clause—
“Power to make discounts discretionary
(1) Section 11 (discounts) of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 is amended as follows.
(2) In subsection (3) leave out from “or” to the end of the subsection and insert “such other percentage as the billing authority may determine”.
(3) Omit subsection (4).”
Page 17, line 7, at end insert—
“( ) In Schedule 11 to the LGFA 1988, in paragraph 8(3)(ea) (regulations about procedure before tribunals)—
(a) for sub-paragraph (iv) substitute—
“(iv) paragraph 15A or 15B of Schedule 2 to the 1992 Act or regulations under that Schedule;”,
(b) omit the “or” following that sub-paragraph, and
(c) after “1996” insert “or of information supplied under section 131 of the Welfare Reform Act 2012 for purposes relating to council tax;”.”