The House met at half-past Eleven o'clock.
1 Medway Council Bill,-The Medway Council Bill was read a second time and committed.
2 Ipswich Market Bill,-The Ipswich Market Bill was read a second time and committed.
3 Fourth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation,-Mr James Cran reported from the Fourth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation the draft European Parliamentary Elections (Combined Region and Campaign Expenditure) (United Kingdom and Gibraltar) Order 2004.
Minutes of Proceedings of the Committee to lie upon the Table.
4 House of Commons Members Estimate,-Ordered, That-
(1) There shall be a committee of this House, called the House of Commons Members Estimate Committee.
(2) The members of the committee shall be those Members who are at any time members of the House of Commons Commission pursuant to section 1 of the House of Commons (Administration) Act 1978; the Speaker shall be chairman of the committee; and three shall be the quorum of the committee.
(3) The functions of the committee shall be-
(a) to codify and keep under review the provisions of the Resolutions of this House relating to expenditure charged to the Estimate for House of Commons: Members;
(b) to modify those provisions from time to time as the committee may think necessary or desirable in the interests of clarity, consistency, accountability and effective administration, and conformity with current circumstances;
(c) to provide advice, when requested by the Speaker, on the application of those provisions in individual cases;
(d) to carry out the responsibilities conferred on the Speaker by the Resolution of the House of 5th July 2001 relating to Members' Allowances, Insurance, &c., except the responsibility of appointing the Advisory Panel provided for in paragraph (5)(1) of that Resolution.
(4) Paragraph (3)(b) above does not empower the committee-
(a) to create a new form of charge on the Estimate for House of Commons: Members; or
(b) to increase any rate of charge or payment determined by Resolution of this House.
(5) The committee shall report to the House from time to time, and in any case not less than once a year, the provisions of the Resolutions of this House relating to expenditure charged to the Estimate for House of Commons: Members, as codified and modified pursuant to paragraph (3) of this Order.
(6) The committee shall have power to sit notwithstanding any adjournment of the House.
That this Order be a Standing Order of the House.-(Mr Peter Hain.)
5 Bicycle and Motorcycle Mileage Allowances,-Resolved, That the Resolution of the House of 20th March 1998 on the bicycle allowance be rescinded and the following provision be made in its place:
(1) That, in the opinion of this House, provision should be made as from 1st April 2004 with respect to the rates of mileage allowance payable to Members in respect of journeys by motorcycle, scooter or bicycle for which if undertaken by car, the car mileage allowance would be payable,
(b) by spouses, children or employees paid from the staffing allowance;
(2) In respect of journeys by motorcycle or scooter, a motorcycle mileage allowance shall be payable at the same rate as the motorcycle mileage rate approved by the Inland Revenue and then in force;
(3) In respect of journeys by bicycle, a bicycle mileage allowance shall be payable at the same rate as the bicycle mileage rate approved by the Inland Revenue and then in force.-(Mr Vernon Coaker.)
6 Public Petitions,-A Public Petition from Robert John Hodgson for an investigation into his treatment by the Royal Air Force at the time of his sister's death and subsequently was presented; and ordered to lie upon the Table and to be printed.
7 Adjournment,-Resolved, That this House do now adjourn.-(Mr Vernon Coaker.)
And accordingly the House, having continued to sit till eleven minutes to Three o'clock, adjourned till to-morrow.
[Adjourned at 2.49 p.m.
Michael J. Martin
Mr Speaker will take the Chair at half-past Nine o'clock.
Papers presented or laid upon the Table:
Papers subject to Affirmative Resolution:
1 Local Government,-Draft Local Elections (Ordinary Day of Election 2004) Order 2004 [by Act], with an Explanatory Memorandum [by Command] [Mr Secretary Prescott].
2 Local Government Finance,-Local Government Finance Report (England) for 2004-05 [by Act]; to be printed [No. 276] [Mr Secretary Prescott].
3 Police,-Draft Independent Police Complaints Commission (Investigatory Powers) Order 2004 [by Act], with an Explanatory Memorandum [by Command] [Mr Secretary Blunkett].
Papers subject to Negative Resolution:
4 Criminal Law,-Crime and Disorder Strategies (Prescribed Descriptions) (England) Order 2004 (S.I., 2004, No. 118), dated 22nd January 2004 [by Act] [Mr Secretary Blunkett].
5 Salaries,-Salaries (Comptroller and Auditor General) Order (Northern Ireland) 2004 (S.R. (N.I.), 2004, No. 20), dated 8th January 2004 [by Act] [Mr Secretary Murphy].
6 Government Resources and Accounts,-(1) Report and Accounts of-
(i) Defence Communication Services Agency, and
(ii) Queen Victoria School
for 2002-03, with the Reports of the Comptroller and Auditor General thereon [by Act]; to be printed [Nos. 291 and 141] [Mr Secretary Hoon], and
(2) Resource Accounts of-
(ii) Department for Transport
(iv) Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
for 2002-03, with the Reports of the Comptroller and Auditor General thereon [by Act];
to be printed [Nos. 185, 174, 193, 173, 200 and 203] [Ms Ruth Kelly].
7 Health Professions,-Report and Financial Statements of the Health Professions Council for 2002-03, with the Report of the Comptroller and Auditor General thereon [by Statutory Instrument] [Mr David Lammy].
8 Transport,-Government Response to the Ninth Report of the Transport Committee, Session 2002-03, on Ports [by Command] [Cm. 6076] [Mr Secretary Darling].
1 Armed Forces (Pensions and Compensation) Bill:
(1) The Speaker has allocated the Bill to Standing Committee B, and has appointed Mr Bill O'Brien and Mr Win Griffiths Chairmen; and
(2) the Committee of Selection has nominated nineteen Members to serve on the Committee: Mr Julian Brazier, Mr Colin Breed, Mr Ivor Caplin, Mr Vernon Coaker, John Cryer, Mrs Claire Curtis-Thomas, Mr Gerald Howarth, Mr Eric Joyce, Mr Paul Keetch, Mr David Lammy, Shona McIsaac, Mr Colin Pickthall, Syd Rapson, Mr Andrew Robathan, Hugh Robertson, John Robertson, Mr Desmond Swayne, Mark Tami and Dr Desmond Turner.
2 Armed Forces (Pensions and Compensation) Bill (Programming Sub-Committee),-The Speaker has appointed Mr Colin Breed, Mr Ivor Caplin, Mr Vernon Coaker, Mr Gerald Howarth, Eric Joyce, Syd Rapson and Hugh Robertson members of the Programming Sub-Committee of Standing Committee B in respect of the Bill.
3 Employment Relations Bill,-The Speaker has appointed Mr George Stevenson and Mr Eric Forth Chairmen of Standing Committee D in respect of the Bill.
4 Employment Relations Bill (Programming Sub-Committee),-The Speaker has appointed Charlotte Atkins, Mr Peter Atkinson, Mr Henry Bellingham, Malcolm Bruce, Anne Picking, Ian Stewart and Mr Gerry Sutcliffe members of the Programming Sub-Committee of Standing Committee D in respect of the Bill.
5 Draft Terrorism Act 2000 (Continuance of Part VII) Order 2004:
(1) The Speaker has allocated the draft Order to the First Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation, and has appointed Mr Martin Caton Chairman; and
(2) the Committee of Selection has nominated sixteen Members to serve on the Committee: Peter Bottomley, Kevin Brennan, Chris Bryant, Mr Alistair Carmichael, Mr Vernon Coaker, Mr Mark Field, Mr George Foulkes, Mr Nick Gibb, Lady Hermon, Alan Howarth, Huw Irranca-Davies, Jane Kennedy, Mr David Lidington, Linda Perham, Mr Andy Reed and Jonathan Shaw.
6 Draft Criminal Defence Service (Choice in Very High Cost Cases) (Amendment) Regulation 2004,-The Speaker has appointed Mr Kevin Hughes Chairman of the Fifth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation in respect of the draft Regulations.
European Standing Committees
7 The Speaker has appointed Mr Kevin Hughes Chairman of European Standing Committee A in respect of European Union Document No. COM (03) 132 on Trans-European Transport Network.
8 The Speaker has appointed Mr David Chidgey Chairman of European Standing Committee B in respect of European Union Document No. 14686/03 on Procedures for Granting and Withdrawing Refugee Status.
Reports from Select Committees
1 Constitutional Affairs,-(1) Second Special Report from the Constitutional Affairs Committee [Government Response to the Fourth Report from the Committee on Immigration and Asylum: the Government's proposed changes to publicly funded immigration and asylum work]; to be printed [No. 299]; and
(2) Minutes of Evidence taken before the Committee [The reform of the Office of the Lord Chancellor: ecclesiastical patronage]; together with Appendices to the Minutes of Evidence; to be printed [No. 300-i]
2 Draft Gambling Bill,-Minutes of Evidence taken before the Joint Committee on the Draft Gambling Bill; to be printed [No. 139-xi] [Mr John Greenway].
3 Environmental Audit,-Minutes of Evidence taken before the Environmental Crime Sub-Committee of the Environmental Audit Committee [Environmental Crime and the Courts]; to be printed [No. 126-ii] [Mr Peter Ainsworth].
4 Public Administration,-Minutes of Evidence taken before the Select Committee on Public Administration [The Work of the Ombudsman]; to be printed [No. 41-iii] [Tony Wright].
[W.H., No. 17]
Minutes of Proceedings of the Sitting in Westminster Hall
The sitting commenced at half-past Two o'clock.
Adjournment (Afghanistan: the development challenge),-Resolved, That the sitting be now adjourned.-(Mr Gareth Thomas (Harrow West).)
And accordingly the sitting was adjourned till Tuesday 3rd February.
[Adjourned at 5.04 p.m.
Sir Alan Haselhurst