House of Commons
Session 1996-97
Publications on the internet
Order Papers

Order Paper Monday 16 December 1996

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order Paper (No. 37) for Monday 16 December 1996.


No. 37 MONDAY 16TH DECEMBER 1996 1117
ORDER PAPER

* Indicates a Question for Oral Answer
Questions marked thus
[R] indicate that a relevant registered interest has been declared

QUESTIONS FOR ORAL ANSWER

Questions to the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department will start not later than 3.15 p.m.

*1 Dr Charles Goodson-Wickes (Wimbledon):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, what consultations she has had with the Department of Health over the future of the buildings of St. Bartholomew's Hospital
7593
*2 Mr Toby Jessel (Twickenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, if she will make a statement on the impact of the National Lottery on the British film industry
7594
*3 Mr Robert N. Wareing (Liverpool, West Derby):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, what representations she has received in respect of the impact of the National Lottery on (a) the Football Trust and (b) the bingo industry; and if she will make a statement.
7595
*4 Mr Michael Brown (Brigg and Cleethorpes):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, how many individual prizes have been won since the National Lottery was established.
7596
*5 Mr Andrew Rowe (Mid Kent):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, how many proposals from Kent have received funding in the various categories from the National Lottery.
7597
*6 Mr Jacques Arnold (Gravesham):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, if she will make a statement on the Sporting Ambassadors Initiative.
7598
*7 Mr Rod Richards (Clwyd North West):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, if she will make a statement on developments in the voluntary sector since 1979.
7599
*8 Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South East):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, how much her Department spent on publicity for arts promotion in (a) 1995/96, (b) 1994--95 and (c) 1993/94
7600
*9 Mr David Shaw (Dover):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, what steps she proposes to take to improve public access to, the presentation of, and the information provided at, important heritage sites.
7601
*10 Mr Harry Barnes (North East Derbyshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, if she will introduce proposals to ensure a more equitable distribution of lottery awards by the size of population in each geographic area; and if she will make a statement.
7602
*11 Mr Alan Howarth (Stratford-on-Avon):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, what representations she has received on the future of St. Pancras Station and St. Pancras Chambers; and if she will make a statement.
7603
*12 Sir Sydney Chapman (Chipping Barnet):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, how many buildings in England are listed; and if she will make a statement.
7604
*13 Mr Anthony Steen (South Hams):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, what progress has been made to ensure that lottery funds can be used for expenditure on items other than capital items.
7607
*14 Mr Austin Mitchell (Great Grimsby):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, what plans she has to increase the percentage of National Lottery funds directed to good causes.
7608
*15 Mr Harry Cohen (Leyton):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, if she will ensure that greater priority is given to projects benefiting children and young people in the distribution of lottery proceeds.
7609
*16 Mr D. N. Campbell-Savours (Workington):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, how many projects supported by Millennium Commission awards are currently being taken forward.
7610
*17 Mr Hugh Dykes (Harrow East):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, if she will commission a study of the different cross-Channel transport modes as means of promoting tourism to the United Kingdom.
7611
*18 Bridget Prentice (Lewisham East):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, if she will make a statement on National Lottery awards to disadvantaged groups.
7612
*19 Sir Teddy Taylor (Southend East):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, what is the total sum contributed by the National Lottery to organisations, groups and charities in the Borough of Southend-on-Sea.
7613
*20 Dr Robert Spink (Castle Point):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, if she will make a statement on the role of the National Lottery in preserving the nation's historic churches.
7614
*21 Mr Paul Flynn (Newport West):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, what plans she has to fund further public readings of English poetry.
7615
*22 Lady Olga Maitland (Sutton and Cheam):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, if she will make a statement on the British tourist industry.
7617
*23 Mr David Lidington (Aylesbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, what plans she has to pay an offical visit to the Buckinghamshire County Museum and Art Gallery to discuss developments at the museum.
7618
*24 Mr Peter Luff (Worcester):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, how many grants the National Lottery funding bodies have made to protect and conserve the nation's heritage since the inception of the Lottery.
7619
*25 Mr Hartley Booth (Finchley):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, if he will made a statement on the safety of the oldest buildings of national importance in the cities of London and Westminster.
7620
*26 Mr David Amess (Basildon):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, what recent representation she has received concerning grants to historic churches in Basildon.
7621
*27 Mr Peter Thurnham (Bolton North East):    To ask the Secretary of State for National Heritage, what representations she has received about the effect on smaller charities of the National Lottery; and if she will make a statement.
7622

Questions to the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department will start not later than 3.15 p.m.

*28 Mr Richard Spring (Bury St Edmunds):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what plans he has to visit magistrates' courts in Suffolk, to discuss possible court closures and amalgamations.
7623
*29 Mr Elfyn Llwyd (Meirionnydd Nant Conwy):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what is the procedure for intervention by the Lord Chancellor's Department in the matter of a dispute about closure of a magistrate's court; and if he will make a statement.
7624
*30 Mr Jacques Arnold (Gravesham):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what steps he is taking to avoid legal aid being granted for vexatious litigation against schools.
7627
*31 Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South East):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what representations he has received regarding the proposed merger of Coventry, Birmingham and Solihull magistrates' committees and courts.
7628
*32 Sir Anthony Grant (South West Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what proposals for reform of procedures were proposed by the Lord Chancellor during his recent visit to the European Court of Human Rights.
7630
*33 Mr Harry Cohen (Leyton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, if he will take steps to increase the number of judges, masters and registrars of the High Court and magistrates from ethnic minorities.
7631
*34 Mr Andrew Robathan (Blaby):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what assessment he has made of the Law Society's proposals for the reform of legal aid with special reference to the control of the legal aid budget.
7632
*35 Sir Ivan Lawrence (Burton):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what assessment he has made of recent representations to his Department about proposals for the reform of legal aid.
7633
*36 Mr Harry Barnes (North East Derbyshire):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what investigations he is conducting into the operations of the Land Registry.
7634
*37 Mr Paul Flynn (Newport West):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what new proposals he has to reduce the costs of legal aid with particular reference to solicitor's fees.
7635
*38 Mr David Lidington (Aylesbury):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, what plans he has to secure continuing public access to the census returns following the closure of the Public Record Office, Chancery Lane.
7636
*39 Mr Peter Thurnham (Bolton North East):    To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, if he will make a statement about progress with the PFI for new magistrates courts buildings.
7637


ORDERS OF THE DAY AND NOTICES OF MOTIONS

Those marked thus* are Government Orders of the day

1 FISHERIES
The Prime Minister
Mr Secretary Heseltine
Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer
Mr Secretary Howard
Mr Douglas Hogg
Mr Secretary Forsyth
        That this House takes note of European Community Document COM(96)641 relating to the fixing of total allowable catches for 1997 and certain conditions under which they may be fished; and supports the Government's intention to negotiate the best possible fishing opportunities for British fishermen consistent with scientific advice and the need to sustain the stocks for the benefit of future generations of fishermen.
        European Community Document Nos. 9999/96 establishing a Community system for fisheries and aquaculture, 11016/96 on monitoring Community conservation and management measures applicable to third country fishing vessels, 11164/94 relating to guide prices for fishery products in 1997, 11171/96 relating to third country fisheries agreements, and the unnumbered Explanatory Memoranda submitted by the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food on 9 December 1996 relating to Community catch possibilities in NAFO waters for 1997, and on 9 December 1996 relating to reciprocal access and 1997 quotas with Norway, are relevant.
        As Amendments to the Prime Minister's proposed Motion (Fisheries):
Mr Tony Blair
Mr John Prescott
Dr Gavin Strang
Mr Elliot Morley
Mr Donald Dewar
Mr Doug Hoyle
        Line 1, leave out from 'House' to end and add: 'believes that the failure of this Government in its seventeen years of office to tackle the problems facing the fishing industry is an unacceptable threat to the future of fishing communities in England, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland; regrets the failure of the United Kingdom Government to implement a decommissioning policy until 1993; recognises that fishing by non-UK vessels against UK quotas is unacceptable to our fishing industry and calls for effective action to tackle quota-hopping; regrets the Government's failure to prevent increased Spanish access to the Irish Box and Western Waters from 1 January 1996; concludes that the United Kingdom Government has not represented effectively in Europe the interests of this country's fishing industry; further recognises that the overriding priority for the Common Fisheries Policy must be the conservation of fish stocks, without which the fishing industry cannot survive; and calls on Her Majesty's Government to work in Europe to achieve reforms of the Common Fisheries Policy that ensure the conservation and fair allocation of fish stocks with effective enforcement by all European States'.
Mrs Margaret Ewing
Mr Alex Salmond
Mr Dafydd Wigley
Mr Andrew Welsh
Roseanna Cunningham
        Line 1, leave out from 'House' to end and add: 'asserts the importance of the fishing industry to the economies of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland; demands that the Government gives due prominence to the issue of quota hoppers in the course of the IGC negotiations by securing an appropriate treaty amendment, and does not jeopardise any agreement on fishing by posturing on the 48 hour directive; notes the solution presented to the flags of convenience problem in the course of the Merchant Shipping Bill 1988 which would have introduced a domestic residence requirement for fishing crews; contrasts this with the Government's latest farcical proposal to introduce an English language rule; and calls on Her Majesty's Government to focus on acceptable technical conservation measures as a means of controlling fishing effort and to work to negotiate radical change to the Common Fisheries Policy which will match the demands and interests of the fishermen of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and ensure proper compliance and enforcement by all Member States'.
Mr Paddy Ashdown
Mr A. J. Beith
Mr James Wallace
Mr Paul Tyler
Mr Robert MacLennan
Mr Archy Kirkwood
        Line 3, leave out from 'fished' to end and add: 'deplores the Government's neglect of the fishing industry and fishing communities during its seventeen years in office with the resulting loss of livelihoods and morale for many fishermen; notes the Government's lack of progress in the IGC towards resolving the problem of flags of convenience; and calls upon the Government to adhere to its stated policy to resist implementation of the Multi Annual Guidance Programme IV ensuring a resolution of the flags of convenience problem; and further calls on the Government to implement the main recommendations of the report of the Common Fisheries Policy Review group and to negotiate the best possible fishing opportunities for British fishermen consistent with scientific advice and the need to sustain the stocks for the benefit of future generations of fishermen'.
          The Speaker will put the Questions necessary to dispose of proceedings on the above Motion not later than Ten o'clock, pursuant to Order [13th December].
2 ADJOURNMENT (CHRISTMAS)
Mr Tony Newton
        That this House, at its rising on Wednesday 18th December, do adjourn till Monday 13th January.
          To be decided forthwith, pursuant to Standing Order No. 22.
3 NORTHERN IRELAND
Secretary Sir Patrick Mayhew
        That the draft Criminal Justice (Northern Ireland) Order 1997, which was laid before this House on 20th November, be approved.
          To be decided forthwith, pursuant to Standing Order No. 101(6).
4 NORTHERN IRELAND
Secretary Sir Patrick Mayhew
        That the draft Criminal Justice (Northern Ireland Consequential Amendments) Order 1997, which was laid before this House on 20th November, be approved.
          To be decided forthwith, pursuant to Standing Order No. 101(6).
5 COUNTY COURTS
Mr Gary Streeter
        That the draft High Court and County Courts Jurisdiction (Amendment) Order 1996, which was laid before this House on 25th November, be approved.
          To be decided forthwith, pursuant to Standing Order No. 101(6).
6 FINANCIAL SERVICES
Mrs Angela Knight
        That the Financial Services Act 1986 (Extension of Scope of Act) Order 1996 (S.I., 1996, No. 2958), a copy of which was laid before this House on 25th November, be approved.
          To be decided forthwith, pursuant to Standing Order No. 101(6).
7 COMMUNITY RAILWAY POLICY
The Prime Minister
Mr Secretary Heseltine
Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer
Mr Secretary Howard
Mr Secretary Rifkind
Secretary Sir George Young
        That this House takes note of European Community Documents Nos. 10003/95, relating to the development of the Community's railways, and 9654/96, the Commission's White Paper on the revitalisation of the Community's railways; and endorses the Government's position on the actions proposed by the Commission.
          To be decided forthwith, pursuant to Standing Order No. 102(9).
*8 FLOOD PREVENTION AND LAND DRAINAGE (SCOTLAND) BILL: Second Reading.
Mr Tony Newton
Mr Secretary Forsyth
        On the Order for the Second Reading of the Flood Prevention and Land Drainage (Scotland) Bill being read, to move, That the Bill be referred to the Scottish Grand Committee.
          To be decided forthwith, pursuant to Standing Order No. 94E(2).
9 SCOTTISH GRAND COMMITTEE
Mr Tony Newton
Mr Secretary Forsyth
        That at the meeting of the Committee on Monday 13th January, notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (3) of Standing Order No. 94E (Scottish Grand Committee (bills in relation to their principle)), the Chairman shall put any Question necessary to dispose of any Motion which may be made in relation to the Flood Prevention and Land Drainage (Scotland) Bill at half-past Two o'clock, if not previously concluded.
          On the Motion for the Adjournment of the House under Standing Order No. 9 Mr Tim Smith proposes to raise the subject of protection of the Green Belt.

COMMITTEES
STANDING COMMITTEE
1 First Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation 4.30 p.m. Room 11 (public)
        To consider the draft Non-Domestic Rating (Chargeable Amounts for Small Hereditaments) Regulations 1996.
SELECT COMMITTEES
2 Welsh Affairs 9.00 a.m. Morriston Hospital, Swansea (public)
        Subject: Morriston Hospital NHS Trust.
        Witnesses: Morriston Hospital NHS Trust; Iechyd Morgannwg Health (at 10.30 a.m.); Former Non-Executive Directors of the Trust (at 11.45 a.m.); Morriston Medical and Nursing Staff (at 1.30 p.m.); Mr Andrew Cottom, Director of Finance, Glan Hafren (at 3 p.m.); Mr Tony Beddow, Former Chief Executive of the Trust (at 3.45 p.m.).
3 Trade and Industry 2.45 p.m. Room 8 (private)
3.00 p.m. (public)
        Subject: Replies from the Government and Director General of Fair Trading to the Committee's Sixth Report of Session 1995/96, on Petrol Retailing, HC 527.
        Witnesses: Mr J. Bridgeman, Director General of Fair Trading: the Rt Hon the Lord Fraser of Carmyllie, Minister for Energy, Department of Trade and Industry (at 4 p.m.).
4 Public Accounts 4.30 p.m. Room 15 (public)
        Subject: British Rail Maintenance Ltd: Sale of Maintenance Depots.
        Witness: Sir Patrick Brown, KCB, Permanent Secretary, Department of Transport.
5 Health 5.00 p.m. Room 6 (private)
6 Standards and Privileges 6.15 p.m. Room 19 (private)
[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]

 

© Parliamentary copyright 1996
Prepared 16 December 1996