House of Commons
| Session 1997-98|
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business
|Order of Business
Tuesday 23rd June 1998
Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for Tuesday 23 June 1998.
* Indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.
+ Indicates Government business.
|At 2.30 p.m.||Prayers|
|At 2.35 p.m.|
|*1||Mr Nick St. Aubyn (Guildford): How many applications were made to Scottish universities for undergraduate courses starting in the 1998-99 academic year by students whose principal residence is in England, Wales or Northern Ireland; and how many such applications were made for courses starting in the 1997-98 year.|
|*2||Mr David Stewart (Inverness East, Nairn and Lochaber): What representations he has received about the level of road deaths in Scotland.|
|*3||Mr Desmond Browne (Kilmarnock and Loudoun): What level of support the Scottish Enterprise Network is giving to indigenous companies, with particular reference to small and medium-sized businesses.|
|*4||Miss Julie Kirkbride (Bromsgrove): What representations he has received on the conduct of East Ayrshire local authority.|
|*5||Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East): How many times he has met the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority in 1998 to discuss energy policy.|
|*6||Mr Andrew Rowe (Faversham and Mid Kent): What steps he intends to take to regulate direct labour organisations.|
|*7||Mr Jonathan Sayeed (Mid Bedfordshire): If he will make a statement about the current level of non-housing debt in the North Lanarkshire local authority.|
|*8||Mr Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield): If he will make a statement on the effect of the current exchange rate on business confidence in Scotland.|
|*9||Mr Andrew George (St Ives): If he will introduce measures to improve cultural links relating to Celtic heritage between Scotland and (a) Wales, (b) Cornwall, (c) the Isle of Man, (d) Brittany and (e) Ireland.|
|*10||Mr Andrew Robathan (Blaby): If he will make a statement on the Agenda 2000 proposals for EU structural funding.|
|*11||Mr Archy Kirkwood (Roxburgh and Berwickshire): What discussions he has had with Scottish Enterprise on the development of a strategy for the textile industry in Scotland.|
|*12||Mr John McAllion (Dundee East): What recent discussions he has had with Scottish local authorities on the problem of social exclusion in Scotland.|
|*13||Mr John Home Robertson (East Lothian): If he will make a statement on the progress of his review of plans for investment in improvements to the trunk road network.|
|*14||Mr Andrew Lansley (South Cambridgeshire): If he will make a statement about the effects of the current exchange rate on Scottish manufacturing industry.|
|*15||Mr Mohammad Sarwar (Glasgow, Govan): What plans he has to improve breast cancer services for women in Scotland.|
|*16||Mr Eric Forth (Bromley and Chislehurst): If he will make a statement about the future of direct labour organisations in Scotland.|
|*17||Mr David Marshall (Glasgow, Shettleston): When he next intends to meet Glasgow City Council to discuss local government finance.|
|*18||Mr Andrew Welsh (Angus): If he will make a statement on the level of investment in public sector housing in Scotland since 1990.|
|*19||Mr Michael Fabricant (Lichfield): If he will meet Ministers in the Department for Education and Employment to discuss entry qualifications for higher education.|
|*20||Mr John Swinney (North Tayside): What representations he has made to the Chancellor of the Exchequer regarding the impact of interest rates on the Scottish economy.|
|*21||Mr Michael Connarty (Falkirk East): What progress has been made in introducing the early intervention and literacy programmes to Scottish schools; and if he will make a statement.|
|*22||Mr Alasdair Morgan (Galloway and Upper Nithsdale): When he last met the STUC to discuss the minimum wage in Scotland.|
|*23||Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham and Sale West): If he will make a statement on (a) the number of electors and (b) the amount of council tax raised per household in 1997-98 in the North Lanarkshire local authority.|
|*24||Mr Alex Salmond (Banff and Buchan): When he last met representatives of the Scottish Council for Development and Industry to discuss export initiatives.|
|*25||Mr John Bercow (Buckingham): Which committee of North Lanarkshire Council is responsible for the Direct Labour Organisation.|
|*26||Mr Malcolm Chisholm (Edinburgh North and Leith): When he will issue guidelines concerning primary care trusts and local healthcare cooperatives.|
|*27||Mrs Margaret Ewing (Moray): If he will make a statement on the future configuration of National Health Service trusts in Scotland; and when he expects to introduce proposed legislation.|
|*28||Sir Robert Smith (West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine): What assessment he has made of the economic impact on Scotland of the Government's proposed changes in the North Sea oil and gas tax regime.|
|At 3.15 p.m.|
|*29||Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire): If he will make a statement on his policy towards the availability of county court services in rural areas.|
|*30||Mr Andrew George (St Ives): What representations he has received on his proposals to amalgamate the Magistrates' Courts Committee in Cornwall with that of Devon.|
|*31||Mr Tam Dalyell (Linlithgow): What documents in relation to terrorism have been passed to the Lord Chancellor in the proper form under the Great Seal of the Realm.|
|*32||Mr Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield): If he will make a statement on levels of charges for legal aid work.|
|*33||Mr Denis MacShane (Rotherham): What assessment he has made of the earnings of senior barristers relative to other professions requiring similar qualifications and skills; and if he will make a statement.|
|*34||Mr David Faber (Westbury): If he will review the operation of the Public Trust Office.|
|*35||Mr David Ruffley (Bury St. Edmunds): What recent representations he has received regarding the closure of magistrates' courts.|
|*36||Ms Rosie Winterton (Doncaster Central): How many times he has met local authority representatives to discuss uniformity of decision-making in community disputes.|
|*37||Mr David Winnick (Walsall North): If he will make a statement on the level of legal aid fees paid to senior QCs.|
|*38||Dr Alan Whitehead (Southampton, Test): What steps he is taking to ensure that litigants in civil disputes with companies are not denied redress as a result of company registrations in the Channel Islands.|
|*39||Mr Philip Hammond (Runnymede and Weybridge): What plans he has to review the operation of the Public Trust Office.|
|*40||Jackie Ballard (Taunton): How many women judges have been appointed since 2nd May 1997; and what percentage this is of the total number of appointments.|
|*41||Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon): What plans he has to regulate the activities of unqualified claims assessors in personal injury claims.|
|*42||Bob Russell (Colchester): If he will (a) meet a deputation from the Association of Essex Councils over the closure of magistrates' courts in Essex and (b) halt the closures pending a policy review involving the Association.|
|*43||Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West): What plans he has to review the availability of legal aid for divorce proceedings.|
|At 3.30 p.m.||Private Notice Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)
|1||TEMPORARY CLASSROOMS [Up to 20 minutes]|
|Mr David Heath
|+ 2||CRIME AND DISORDER BILL [LORDS]: As amended in the Standing Committee, to be further considered [2nd allotted day]. [Up to 6.5 hours]|
|At the end of the sitting:|
|1||Standing Committee A||10.30 a.m.||Room 12 (public)|
|2||Standing Committee D||10.30 a.m.
|Room 9 (public)|
|3||Standing Committee E||10.30 a.m.
|Room 10 (public)|
|4||Standing Committee G||10.30 a.m.
|Room 14 (public)|
|5||First Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation||4.30 p.m.||Room 12 (public)|
|6||Second Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation||4.30 p.m.||Room 11 (public)|
|7||Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs||9.30 a.m.||Room 16 (private)|
|8||Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs: Environment Sub-Committee||Immediately after the meeting of the main
|Room 16 (private)|
|9||Foreign Affairs||10.00 a.m.
|Room 15 (private)|
|10||International Development||10.00 a.m.
|Room 5 (private)|
|11||Deregulation||10.00 a.m.||Room 21 (private)|
|12||Home Affairs||10.15 a.m.
|Room 6 (private)|
|13||Social Security||10.30 a.m.
|Room 19 (private)|
|14||Standards and Privileges||10.30 a.m.||Room 13 (private)|
|15||Public Administration||3.30 p.m.
|Room 8 (private)|
|16||Education and Employment||3.45 p.m.||Room 18 (private)|
|17||Finance and Services||4.00 p.m.||Room 13 (private)|
|Room 15 (private)|
|19||Statutory Instruments||Immediately after the meeting of the Joint
|Room 7 (private)|
|20||Parliamentary Privilege||10.30 a.m.||Room 4 (private)|
|21||Statutory Instruments||4.15 p.m.||Room 7 (private)|
|1 ||Yvette Cooper (Pontefract and Castleford): To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department, when the Advisory Board on Family Law intends to publish its first annual report.|
|2 ||Mr Phil Hope (Corby): To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what changes he plans to announce to cash limits and running costs limits within his responsibility for 1998-99.|
|3 ||Mr Ivor Caplin (Hove): To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will make a statement on the outcome of the experiment involving the private sector undertaking work in the rating and council tax fields.|
|4 ||Mr Jeff Ennis (Barnsley East and Mexborough): To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what are his plans for English Partnerships following the creation of regional development agencies.|
|5 ||Helen Southworth (Warrington South): To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what changes will be made to the cash limits of his Department in 1998-99.|
|6 ||Mr Gareth Thomas (Clwyd West): To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, what changes he is proposing to make to the voted cash limits for his Department in the current financial year.|
|7 ||Mr Bill Etherington (Sunderland North): To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what proposals he has to change his Department's cash limits for 1998-99.|
|8 ||Ms Oona King (Bethnal Green and Bow): To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what changes have been made to the 1998-99 cash and running costs limits for expenditure by her Department.|
|9 ||Mr Derek Twigg (Halton): To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what changes are proposed to the cash and running costs limits for Her Majesty's Treasury in 1998-99.|
|10 ||Mr Phil Woolas (Oldham East and Saddleworth): To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what changes he proposes to make in his Department's cash limits and running costs limits for 1998-99.|
|© Parliamentary copyright 1998||Prepared 23 June 1998|