House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 1997-98
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business Tuesday 3rd November 1998

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for Tuesday 3 November 1998.

* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.

At 2.30 p.m.Prayers
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Scotland
*1 Mr Douglas Alexander (Paisley South):    What progress is being made in the development of one-stop clinic services in Scotland.
*2 Mrs Ray Michie (Argyll and Bute):    What steps he is taking to encourage more Gaelic-speaking teachers to undertake training for work in Gaelic medium units.
*3 Mr Eric Clarke (Midlothian):    What steps he has taken to assist Scottish businesses in respect of the recent international financial crisis.
*4 Mr Nick St. Aubyn (Guildford):    If he will make a statement on progress towards implementing the new Higher Still exams.
*5 Mr Alasdair Morgan (Galloway and Upper Nithsdale):    What additional steps he proposes to assist employment creation in the South of Scotland.
*6 Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    If he will make a statement on publicity for the elections to the Scottish Parliament in May 1999.
*7 Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):    If he will make a statement on the beef industry in Scotland.
*8 Mr John M. Taylor (Solihull):    If he will make a statement about the level of council house debt in Scotland.
*9 Mr Tom Clarke ( Coatbridge and Chryston):    When he next expects to meet Scottish Screen to discuss the potential for film production and exhibition in Scotland.
*10 Mr Christopher Gill (Ludlow):    If he will take measures to assist young people entering the Scottish fishing industry as skipper-owners.
*11 Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    What studies his Department has made of the effects on the Scottish economy of the lower growth assumptions for the UK economy in 1998-99.
*12 Mrs Caroline Spelman (Meriden):    If he will make a statement about the economic prospects for the Borders.
*13 Mr David Marshall (Glasgow, Shettleston):    How many people he estimates in Scotland have household income below half of the national average; and what steps he is taking to alleviate the impact of poverty.
*14 Dr Lynda Clark (Edinburgh Pentlands):    What plans he has to review the operation of bankruptcy law in Scotland.
*15 Mr Crispin Blunt (Reigate):    What estimate he has made of total per capita Government expenditure in Scotland in 1999-2000.
*16 Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    What plans he has to ensure that Scottish servicemen are able to vote in the elections to the Scottish Parliament.
*17 Mr Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield):    What assessment he has made of the impact of the future Scottish Parliament on his accountability to honourable Members.
*18 Mr John Home Robertson (East Lothian):    If he will designate the A1 trunk road as a core national route.
*19 Dr Norman A. Godman (Greenock and Inverclyde):    What plans he has to modify the regulations covering the ownership, management and inspection of private residential homes and nursing homes for the elderly.
*20 Mr Donald Gorrie (Edinburgh West):    What proposals he has to implement Lord Cullen's recommendations on the introduction of a national system to ensure that there are adequate checks on the suitability of youth leaders and workers.
*21 Mr Mohammad Sarwar (Glasgow, Govan):    What assessment he has made of the use of closed circuit television for combating crime in Scotland.
*22 Mr Nigel Griffiths (Edinburgh South):    What steps he is taking to improve the quality of Scotland's housing stock.
*23 Mr Andrew Welsh (Angus):    When he last met representatives of the higher and further education sector in Scotland to discuss funding levels.
*24 Mr David Stewart (Inverness East, Nairn and Lochaber):    What plans he has to review the procedure for selection of boards of management of colleges of further and higher education in Scotland.
*25 Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    What representations he has received from Scottish local authorities regarding the level of public expenditure per head in 1998-99.
*26 Mr Alex Salmond (Banff and Buchan):    When he last met Scottish Enterprise to discuss developments in the Scottish manufacturing sector.
*27 Mrs Teresa Gorman (Billericay):    What estimate he has made of the cost of establishing a Scottish Parliament.
At 3.15 p.m. 
Oral Questions to the Minister of State, Lord Chancellor's Department
*28 Mr Christopher Chope (Christchurch):    For what reasons legal aid debts are being exempted from legislation on the late payment of debts.
*29 Mr David Kidney (Stafford):    What assistance is given by his Department to persons who cannot afford to pay the prescribed fees for the issue of public records.
*30 Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):    If he will list those insurance companies selling insurance products to underpin conditional fee arrangements.
*31 Fiona Mactaggart (Slough):    How much spare capacity exists in magistrates courts in the Greater London area and nearby; and what assessment he has made of the extent to which this could be used to help to tackle the backlog of immigration and asylum appeals.
*32 Mr David Amess (Southend West):    When he last discussed his legal aid reforms with the Lord Chief Justice and the other heads of divisions of the High Court.
*33 Bob Russell (Colchester):    What criteria are used to determine whether a magistrates court should close.
*34 Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    If he will make a statement on progress in the implementation of the Civil Justice Review.
*35 Mr Barry Sheerman (Huddersfield):    What targets he has set to broaden recruitment within the legal profession.
*36 Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    When he proposes to grant solicitors full rights of audience; and if those rights will be extended to barristers who have left private practice and are now employed.
*37 Mr Austin Mitchell (Great Grimsby):    What proposals he has for establishing law centres in areas which do not at present have them.
*38 Mr Andrew Mackinlay (Thurrock):    What is his Department's policy on the suspension with pay of members of the judiciary, pending criminal investigations.
*39 Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    How many times in the last 12 months he has met representatives of the Law Society; and what was discussed.
*40 Mr David Hinchliffe (Wakefield):    What steps he has taken to monitor the adequacy of local court facilities.

At 3.30 p.m.Private Notice Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business
Notice of Presentation of Bill
1   WILDLIFE    [No debate]
 Mr David Lepper
        Bill to provide for conservation purposes to be furthered by any person discharging a function under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981; to make new provision for the protection of certain species and sites; and for related purposes.
Formal first reading: no debate or decision.
Ten minute rule Motion
2   CONDUCT OF REFERENDUMS    [Up to 20 minutes]
 Mrs Eleanor Laing
        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to set up an election commission with powers over the conduct and financing of referendums.
        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).

Main Business
+  3   ADJOURNMENT    [Until 10.00 p.m.]
 The Prime Minister
        That this House do now adjourn.
        Proposed subject for debate: Personal pensions mis-selling.    
        The Minutes of Evidence taken before the Treasury Committee on 6th and 14th May, 25th June and 2nd July (HC 712-i to -iv) are relevant.
Debate may continue until 10.00 p.m.
+  4   LIAISON COMMITTEE    [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]
 Mr Keith Bradley
        That Mr Eric Clarke be added to the Liaison Committee.
If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.
At the end of the sitting:
        Proposed subject: Farming (Mr Lindsay Hoyle).
        Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).

1   First Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation 10.30 a.m. Room 9 (public)
        To consider the draft Meat and Livestock Commission Levy (Variation) Scheme (Confirmation) Order 1998.
2   Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs 9.40 a.m. Room 15 (private)
3   Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs: Environment Sub-Committee 9.45 a.m.
10.45 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
        Subject: Local Government Finance.
        Witnesses: Guy Hollis, Price Waterhouse Coopers; Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions officials (at 11.10 a.m.).
4   Culture, Media and Sport 10.00 a.m. Room 16 (private)
5   Foreign Affairs 9.00 a.m.

9.30 a.m.
Grand Committee Room (private)
        Subject: Sierra Leone.
        Witnesses: Mr T Spicer, OBE, Sandline International; Mr P Penfold, CMG, OBE, British High Commissioner to Sierra Leone.
6   Public Administration 10.00 a.m. Room 6 (private)
7   Agriculture 10.15 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 21 (private)
        Subject: CAP Reform: Rural Development.
        Witnesses: Country Landowners Association; English Nature; UK Objective 5b Partnership.
8   Home Affairs 10.15 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 8 (private)
        Subject: Police Training and Recruitment.
        Witnesses: Mr Peter Hermitage, QPM, Director, National Police Training; Home Office officials.
9   Environmental Audit 10.30 a.m. Room 19 (private)
10   Finance and Services 10.30 a.m. Room 7 (private)
11   Treasury Sub-Committee 10.30 a.m.
10.45 a.m.
Room 18 (private)
        Subject: Office for National Statistics.
        Witness: Dr Tim Holt, Director, Office for National Statistics.
12   Welsh Affairs 10.30 a.m. Room 17 (private)
13   Administration 5.30 p.m. Room 13 (private)
14   Statutory Instruments Immediately after the meeting of the Joint
Committee of
Statutory Instruments
Room 7 (private)
15   Parliamentary Privilege 10.30 a.m. Room 4 (private)
16   Statutory Instruments 4.15 p.m. Room 7 (private)
[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]

Written Questions tabled on Monday 2nd November for answer today++
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, if he will make a statement on the outcome of the EU Social Affairs Council meeting on 27th October.
Angela Smith (Basildon):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make an announcement on family policy.
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what proposals he has to change his Department's cash limits and running cost limits for 1998-99.
Mr Ivor Caplin (Hove):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will make a statement about the reports of the Treasury-sponsored working groups on (a) the financing of high technology companies and (b) smaller quoted companies.
Mr Barry Gardiner (Brent North):    To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what performance targets have been set for the Defence Estates Organisation for 1998-99.
Mr Ken Purchase (Wolverhampton North East):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what proposals she has to change the 1998-99 External Finance Limit for the Commonwealth Development Corporation.

House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries

© Parliamentary copyright 1998
Prepared 3 November 1998