House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 1997-98
Publications on the internet
The Order Book

Part 1: Written Questions for Answer on Monday 16 March 1998

Here you can browse the Written Questions for answer on Monday 16 March of which previous notice has been given in the Notices of Questions paper. They are arranged in alphabetical order of answering Department.

For other Written Questions for answer on Monday 16 March, of which no previous notice has been given, see the Order of Business.

For Written and Oral Questions for answer from Tuesday 17 March, see Part 2 of this Paper.

Notes:
* Indicates a Question for Oral Answer.
+ Indicates a Question not included in the random selection process but accepted because the quota for that day had not been filled.
[N] Indicates a Question for Written Answer on a named day, i.e. the Member has indicated under S.O. No. 22(4) the day on which he wishes the Question to be answered.
[R] Indicates that a relevant interest has been declared.
 


 
MONDAY 16th MARCH
1  
  
Ms Candy Atherton (Falmouth and Camborne):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what extra provision he has made for the Cornish handline mackerel fishery; and if he will make a statement on its future.
(34944)
2  
N  
Mr David Drew (Stroud):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what plans he has to discuss with the American authorities their intention to redefine organic food, enabling greater use of genetically modified organisms.
(34098)
3  
  
Mr Andrew George (St Ives):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, if he plans to ban the use of Lindane.
(34785)
4  
N  
Mr Christopher Gill (Ludlow):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what payments are made by the EU for access to Greenland fishing waters.
(34299)
5  
  
Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, for what reasons the recent appointment of a Chairman of the New Covent Garden Market Authority was not conducted under the Nolan rules process.
(34980)
6  
  
Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, if he will publish the letters of appointment given to the New Covent Garden Market's immediate past chairman and his successor.
(34983)
7  
  
Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, how many board members currently serve on the New Covent Garden Market Authority Board; and what is the maximum number of board members permitted.
(34979)
8  
  
Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what is his Ministry's current policy on the disposal of the New Covent Garden Market.
(34989)
9  
  
Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what estimate he has made of the costs of compensating tenants if New Covent Garden Market were sold.
(34982)
10  
  
Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, which bodies and individuals his Ministry would be obliged to consult in any disposal of his interest in New Covent Garden Market.
(34988)
11  
  
Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, under what circumstances the current management of the New Covent Garden Market will be allowed under the present ownership arrangements to have more capital expenditure flexibility in order to attract new tenants.
(34981)
12  
  
Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, in what ways his Ministry could dispose of its interests in New Covent Garden Market; which options he has evaluated; and if he will make a statement.
(34987)
13  
  
Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, under what circumstances he will allow leases lasting beyond 2005 to be given to existing tenants of New Covent Garden Market.
(34985)
14  
  
Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what redundancy packages he has evaluated with reference to the disposal of the New Covent Garden Market; and if he will make a statement.
(34984)
15  
  
Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, how long his Department proposes to retain ownership of New Covent Garden Market.
(34986)
16  
  
Mr Austin Mitchell (Great Grimsby):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, pursuant to his Answer of 2nd March, Official Report, column 496, if he will raise each of the fishing measures listed at the next Council of Ministers meeting.
(34861)
17  
  
Mr Austin Mitchell (Great Grimsby):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, if he will meet (a) the National Federation of Fishermen's Organisations and (b) the Scottish Fishermen's Federation before the next Council of Ministers meetings.
(34862)
18  
  
Mr Patrick Nicholls (Teignbridge):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, when he expects to answer the questions of 27th February from the honourable Member for Teignbridge, reference 32064 and 32065, concerning his visits to the West Country and other counties.
(34788)
19  
N  
Mr John Swinney (North Tayside):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what was the total expenditure by his Department on (i) building maintenance and (ii) office running costs, in the last year for which figures are available (a) in total and (b) broken down by offices and buildings in (1) London and (2) Scotland.
(34227)
20  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, if he will list the sites that will form the regional network of the UK Sports Institute.
(34223)
21  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what steps he has taken to promote drug control programmes in sport.
(34228)
22  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what contracts have (a) been signed and (b) put out to tender in relation to the establishment of the United Kingdom Sports Institute.
(34218)
23  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what steps he has taken to develop the Football in the Community Initiative.
(34217)
24  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what recent representations he has received from organisations concerned with (a) sport, (b) tourism, (c) the arts, (d) museums and galleries, (e) libraries, (f) royal palaces and parks, (g) the built heritage and (h) film requesting increases in government funding.
(34731)
25  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what steps he has taken to ensure that sport governing bodies have plans to develop school sports projects as a condition for receiving Sports Council grants.
(34215)
26  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what steps he has taken to encourage the Sports Council to promote links between schools and sports clubs.
(34216)
27  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, when the United Kingdom Sports Institute will be opened; and which sports will be catered for.
(34230)
28  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what assessment the Sports Council has made of community sports facilities provision; and if he will make a statement.
(34211)
29  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, if the updating of the Sports Council's National Sports Facilities Database is complete.
(34212)
30  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what awards have been made (a) by the Sportsmatch Panel and (b) by the Sportsmatch Panel to schools related projects since 1st May 1997.
(34214)
31  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, what steps he has taken to encourage business sponsorship in the field of youth and school sports.
(34213)
32  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, if he will estimate the proportion of the funding for the United Kingdom Sports Institute to be provided by the National Lottery.
(34219)
33  
N  
Norman Baker (Lewes):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to his Answer of 10th March, Official Report, column 149, concerning RAF Leeming, if he will list the bodies for which money was raised.
(34764)
34  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what monitoring of the activities of the Turkish armed forces in Iraq is undertaken by British troops; and if he will make a statement.
(34309)
35  
N  
Ms Roseanna Cunningham (Perth):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what were the original projected cost savings to be gained from the implementation of the MRP II Scheduling System at (a) NARO Almondbank and (b) NARO Fleetlands; and what have been the actual cost savings of its implementation.
(34591)
36  
N  
Ms Roseanna Cunningham (Perth):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what was the original projected cost of the implementation of the MRPII Scheduling System at (a) NARO Almondbank and (b) NARO Fleetlands; and what has been the actual cost of implementation.
(34592)
37  
N  
Ms Roseanna Cunningham (Perth):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what was the original projected timescale for the implementation of the MRPII Scheduling System in (i) NARO Almondbank and (ii) NARO Fleetlands; and what has been the actual timescale for implementation.
(34594)
38  
N  
Mr Tam Dalyell (Linlithgow):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will make a statement on the procedure relating to the issuing of a challenge current in the 1st Battalion Scots Guards in September 1992; on how many occasions since 1st September 1992 such procedures have not been complied with; and what revision to procedures has taken place since that date.
(34312)
39  
N  
Mr Lindsay Hoyle (Chorley):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to his Answer of 3rd March, Official Report, column 538, what action he is taking to press the American government to contribute to the cost of clearing up Holy Loch.
(34295)
40  
N  
Mr John Swinney (North Tayside):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will list the defence procurement contracts with value of greater than £5 million for each year since 1987; and what were the companies involved in each of these contracts.
(34183)
41  
N  
Mr Peter Atkinson (Hexham):    To ask the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, who took the decision to hold the EU Conference on Better Government in Manchester; when the decision was taken; and for what reason Manchester was chosen in preference to Newcastle upon Tyne.
(34688)
42  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, if he will call for a report from the Property Services Agency on its contact with Islington Borough Council concerning future use of Archway Tower and relevant local development plans; and if he will make a statement.
(34313)
43  
  
Mr Chris Mullin (Sunderland South):    To ask the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, how much his Department (a) has spent since 1st May and (b) is planning to spend on focus groups.
(34965)
44  
N  
Mr John Swinney (North Tayside):    To ask the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, if he will list the number and percentage of civil servants employed at each grade in (i) Scotland, (ii) London and (iii) the South East of England.
(34225)
45  
N  
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what representations he has received from the Coventry Intermediate Labour Market Company.
(34181)
46  
N  
Mr Archy Kirkwood (Roxburgh and Berwickshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, if he will make a statement on the informal EU Social and Education Council of Ministers meeting on 12th and 13th March.
(33403)
47  
  
Mr Chris Mullin (Sunderland South):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, how much his Department (a) has spent since 1st May and (b) is planning to spend on focus groups.
(34967)
48  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, if the amount of sport provided by schools inside and outside school hours has increased since 1st May 1997.
(34229)
49  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what assessment he has made of the OFSTED audit of initial teacher training in physical education.
(34202)
50  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what steps he has taken since 1st May 1997 to encourage teachers to obtain recognised sports coaching qualifications.
(34204)
51  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what steps he has taken to ensure that further education institutions publish details of the sports facilities and opportunities they offer.
(34224)
52  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what steps he has taken since 1st May 1997 to encourage schools' sports associations' involvement in competitions at district, regional and national levels.
(34206)
53  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what plans the Government has to introduce coaching weeks for teachers.
(34205)
54  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what is the sport content of the Initial Teacher Training requirement.
(34222)
55  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what proportion of schools have achieved the Sportsmark target for sport provision outside school hours.
(34221)
56  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what steps his Department has taken to assess the sports coaching skills of in-service teachers.
(34203)
57  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what guidelines he has issued to local education authorities and school governors on pupils' access to (i) grassed playing fields and (ii) other sports facilities.
(34201)
58  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what steps he has taken since 1st May 1997 to encourage greater co-operation between schools and local communities in sports matters.
(34207)
59  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what steps he has taken since 1st May 1997 to encourage competitive team sport in schools.
(34208)
60  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what steps he has taken to ensure that schools provide two hours or more per week of time-tabled National Curriculum physical education for their pupils.
(34210)
61  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what steps he has taken since 1st May 1997 to encourage the inclusion of information on sporting aims, provision and achievements in school annual reports and prospectuses.
(34209)
62  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what action has been taken to encourage best practice in the provision of sports facilities in further education institutions following the Further Education Funding Council audit of existing sports provision.
(34200)
63  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, what steps he has taken to encourage schools to extend sporting opportunities outside school hours.
(34220)
64  
  
Norman Baker (Lewes):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if he will make a statement on the work to date of his Department's Sustainable Development Unit.
(34990)
65  
  
Norman Baker (Lewes):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, pursuant to his Answer to the honourable Member for Worsley of 31st July, Official Report, column 542, if he will list the occasions since 30th July when Green Ministers have met, indicating what decisions were taken on each occasion.
(34991)
66  
  
Mr Tom Brake (Carshalton and Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what criteria, with reference to advertising experience, are applied to the appointment of Public Carriage Office employees.
(34947)
67  
  
Mr Tom Brake (Carshalton and Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what appeals process is available on decisions taken by the Public Carriage Office not to allow advertisements on licensed taxi vehicles.
(34946)
68  
  
Mr Tom Brake (Carshalton and Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if he will assess the impact of wage levels in the bus industry in London on the provision of bus services; and if he will make a statement.
(34948)
69  
  
Mr Tom Brake (Carshalton and Wallington):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if he will make a statement on the Public Carriage Office's policy on licensed taxi advertising in London; and if he will review this policy.
(34945)
70  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what volume of domestic refuse was recycled by each London borough in each of the last three years; and what his estimate is for 1998-99.
(34301)
71  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what the proportion of waste (a) paper, (b) glass and (c) metal nationally has been recycled from domestic waste in each of the past three years; and what his estimate is for 1998-99.
(34302)
72  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if he will estimate the area of allotment land for each London borough (a) for each of the past three years and (b) for 1998-99; and if he will make a statement.
(34307)
73  
N  
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what plans he has to alleviate severe traffic congestion in urban areas.
(34041)
74  
N  
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what assessment he has made of the impact of the growth rate of traffic on child pedestrian death rates.
(34040)
75  
  
Mr Andrew George (St Ives):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what contributions have been or are being made by his Department towards (a) the water authority responsibilities of the Council of the Isles of Scilly and (b) the operation of South West Water.
(34792)
76  
N  
Dr John Marek (Wrexham):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if he will place copies in the Library of the current notional railway timetables for Summer 2002 and 2005.
(34314)
77  
  
Mr Paul Marsden (Shrewsbury and Atcham):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if he will estimate the number of bus routes in Shropshire for each year since 1979.
(34869)
78  
N  
Mr Bill Michie (Sheffield, Heeley):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if the Office of Water Services has the power to specify that water companies should consult with other organisations regarding their joint response to an emergency or a potential emergency; and if he will make a statement.
(34178)
79  
N  
Mr Bill Michie (Sheffield, Heeley):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if the Office of the Rail Regulator has the power to specify that rail companies should consult with other organisations regarding their joint response to an emergency or a potential emergency; and if he will make a statement.
(34180)
80  
N  
Mr Bill Michie (Sheffield, Heeley):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if the Office of the Passenger Rail Franchising has the power to specify that rail franchisees should consult with other organisations regarding their joint response to an emergency or a potential emergency; and if he will make a statement.
(34179)
81  
  
Mr Chris Mullin (Sunderland South):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, how much his Department plans to spend on focus groups.
(34978)
82  
  
Mr Andrew Reed (Loughborough):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what action his Department is taking to ensure that motorists are made aware of the dangers of using a hand-held mobile phone while driving; and if he will make a statement.
(34859)
83  
  
Mr Marsha Singh (Bradford West):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what proposals he is putting in place to improve the delivery of local plans and unitary development plans; and if he will make a statement.
(34937)
84  
N  
Mr John Swinney (North Tayside):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what was the total expenditure by his Department on (i) building maintenance and (ii) office running costs, on the last year for which figures are available, (a) in total and (b) broken down by offices and buildings in (i) London and (ii) Scotland.
(34226)
85  
N  
Mr Robin Corbett (Birmingham, Erdington):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what percentage of the total amount raised from value added tax is paid directly to the European Commission; how much this raises at the current rate; and what the yield to the Commission was in each financial year since the introduction of VAT.
(34695)
86  
N  
Sir Peter Emery (East Devon):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what was the level of excise duty expressed in £ sterling per litre on (a) whisky, (b) gin, (c) wine and (d) fortified wine in (i) the United Kingdom and (ii) each member state of the European Union in (1) 1992, (2) 1995 and (3) 1998.
(34037)
87  
N  
Mr Brian Jenkins (Tamworth):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what response the Treasury has made to the Bank of England's January 1998 report on finance for small firms.
(33404)
88  
  
Mrs Jacqui Lait (Beckenham):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what targets he has set Customs and Excise to assess their success rate in confiscating smuggled or bootlegged tobacco and alcohol; and if he will report their success in achieving these targets to Parliament annually.
(34800)
89  
  
Mr Peter Lilley (Hitchin and Harpenden):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, by how much he estimates tax relief would be reduced as a result of applying (a) annual and (b) overall limits of (i) £5,000 and (ii) £50,000 to PEPs and TESSAs using the same assumptions on how individuals would invest their capital as are used in calculating tax relief in the consultative document on ISAs.
(34960)
90  
N  
Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what representations he has received on the implications of VAT harmonisation in the EU on the United Kingdom art market.
(32907)
91  
  
Mr Austin Mitchell (Great Grimsby):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will make a statement about his proposals for the design of the banknotes for the proposed European single currency.
(34791)
92  
N  
Mr Alasdair Morgan (Galloway and Upper Nithsdale):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what response she has given to DG21 with regard to the official complaint made against selective higher rate IPT in the United Kingdom; and if he will make a statement.
(34182)
93  
N  
Mr Alasdair Morgan (Galloway and Upper Nithsdale):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, pursuant to his Answer of 5th March, Official Report, columns 716-717, if he will place in the Library copies of the correspondence from DGIV referred to in the correspondence he has placed in the Library.
(34518)
94  
N  
Mr Alasdair Morgan (Galloway and Upper Nithsdale):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will place in the Library correspondence with or from DGXXI regarding selective higher rate IPT; and if he will make a statement.
(34519)
95  
  
Mr Dafydd Wigley (Caernarfon):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will list for each of the nations and regions of the United Kingdom and for the UK as a whole in (a) 1970, (b) 1979, (c) 1989 and (d) the last available two years, the amount paid out in (i) Civil Service salaries, (ii) all other running costs of the Civil Service and (iii) the total of (a) and (b) expressed in current prices.
(34870)
96  
  
Mr Dafydd Wigley (Caernarfon):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will list the estimated gross domestic product per head for (a) each United Kingdom nation, (b) each English region and (c) the UK, expressed in current prices, for (i) 1970, (ii)1979, (iii) 1989 and (iv) the last two years for which figures are available.
(34877)
97  
  
Mr Dafydd Wigley (Caernarfon):    To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will list the estimated tax expenditures under the MIRAS system for (a) each United Kingdom nation, (b) each English region and (c) the UK, for (i) 1970, (ii) 1979, (iii) 1989 and (iv) the last available two years, expressed in current prices.
(34872)
98  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what contribution in (a) cash terms and (b) as a percentage of the total the UK will make to the running costs of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons over the next five years.
(33940)
99  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what assessment he has made of recent allegations by Ken Alibek that Russia has continued to develop biological weapons in contravention of the 1972 Biological Weapons Convention; and if he will make a statement.
(33942)
100  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what assessment his Department has made of the (a) chemical and biological weapons research programmes being undertaken and (b) stocks of such weapons held by (i) Iran, (ii) Syria, (iii) Libya, (iv) China, (v) North Korea and (vi) Sudan; and if he will make a statement.
(33944)
101  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what steps his Department is taking to encourage Egypt to sign and ratify the Chemical Weapons Convention.
(33946)
102  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will list the Common Foreign and Security Policy working groups established by the EU; and if he will make a statement.
(33948)
103  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement about the methods by which policy formulation is conducted within his Department.
(33934)
104  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if his Department will make any financial contribution to the Foreign Policy Centre.
(33935)
105  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if any persons working for the Foreign Policy Centre will have access to classified information held within his Department.
(33936)
106  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what arrangements he has established for liaison between his Department and the Foreign Policy Centre.
(33937)
107  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will list the countries in arrears in their payments to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons; and what is the amount of arrears concerned.
(33938)
108  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what contribution (a) in cash terms and (b) as a percentage of the total (i) France, (ii) Germany, (iii) the USA and (iv) Japan will be making to the running costs of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons over the next five years.
(33939)
109  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what is the cost of disposing of Russian chemical weapons stocks; and how much of that cost in (a) cash terms and (b) as a percentage of the total will be covered by (i) the UK, (ii) France, (iii) Germany, (iv) the USA and (v) Japan.
(33941)
110  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what discussions he has had with the Director-General of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons; and if he will make a statement.
(33943)
111  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on negotiations on a compliance and verification regime for the Biological Weapons Convention.
(33945)
112  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, on how many Common Foreign and Security Policy working groups established by the EU the United Kingdom is represented; and by whom.
(33947)
113  
N  
Mr Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what are the terms of reference of the Common Foreign and Security Policy working groups established by the EU; when they were established; and how often they meet.
(33949)
114  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what expenditure is undertaken by the British Government or agencies on its behalf of the monitoring of tourism and fishing within the area covered by the Antarctic Environmental Protocol.
(34304)
115  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what evaluation of reports by the British Antarctic Survey is undertaken by his Department; and how these reports are made available to signatory countries to the Antarctic Environmental Protocol.
(34305)
116  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what practice is adopted in British embassies for the monitoring of human rights matters.
(34308)
117  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, when he expects the Secretariat proposed in the Antarctic Environmental Protocol to be established; and where it will be sited.
(34303)
118  
N  
Mr David Faber (Westbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on the implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 425.
(34726)
119  
N  
Mr David Faber (Westbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, when he proposes to implement his Department's new export initiative based on the recommendations of the Export Forum.
(34720)
120  
N  
Mr David Faber (Westbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, when he next plans to meet the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Algeria.
(34725)
121  
N  
Mr David Faber (Westbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on his meeting of 11th March with Wei Jingsheng.
(34723)
122  
N  
Mr David Faber (Westbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will made a statement on the Minister of State's visit to Tirana and Skopje on 11th March.
(34728)
123  
N  
Mr David Faber (Westbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, how he plans to ensure that there is an improved service for potential exporters from his Department.
(34721)
124  
N  
Mr David Faber (Westbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what progress he has made since 1st May 1997 in making his Department more commercial.
(34730)
125  
N  
Mr David Faber (Westbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what discussions he has had concerning this year's UNCHR resolution to draw attention to China's record on human rights with the UN Human Rights Commissioner; and if he will publish a minute of the meeting.
(34724)
126  
N  
Mr David Faber (Westbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, at what time on 11th March his Department's website was updated to include the FCO Daily Bulletin for that day.
(34729)
127  
N  
Mr David Faber (Westbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what representations were made to him by Wei Jingsheng during their meeting of 11th March concerning his decision not to support this year's UNCHR resolution drawing attention to China's record on human rights.
(34722)
128  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what representations he has received from the Department for International Development concerning the provision of aid to Kosovo.
(34857)
129  
N  
Mr Michael Howard (Folkestone and Hythe):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, at what time his meeting with Wei Jingsheng on 11th March terminated.
(34694)
130  
N  
Mr Michael Howard (Folkestone and Hythe):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, on whose instructions waiting journalists were informed by a representative of his Department at 11.40 a.m., on 11th March that Wei Jingsheng had left the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Building.
(34693)
131  
  
Mr David Atkinson (Bournemouth East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, by what means his Department is monitoring the millennium compliance of the computer systems involved in the provision of care services by health authorities and trusts; and if he will make a statement on progress.
(34806)
132  
  
Mr David Atkinson (Bournemouth East):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what discussions he (a) has held and (b) plans to hold with the private health sector on the need for computer systems to be millennium compliant.
(34805)
133  
N  
Mr Tim Boswell (Daventry):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, when he expects to publish further material on the study into the impact of the national minimum wage on NHS staff costs referred to in Government evidence to the Low Pay Commission.
(34300)
134  
N  
Mr Paul Burstow (Sutton and Cheam):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, pursuant to his Answer of 9th March, Official Report, column 65, concerning the reasons for a fall in the number of items purchased by the NHS National Supply Trust, if he will list those other factors that contributed to the drop in value and volume.
(34500)
135  
N  
Mr Paul Burstow (Sutton and Cheam):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, pursuant to his Answer of 9th March, Official Report, column 65, concerning the selling of continence products, if he will ask the Chief Executive of the NHS Management Executive to write again to NHS Trust Chief Executives.
(34499)
136  
  
Mr James Clappison (Hertsmere):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, pursuant to his Answer of 11th March, Official Report, column 203, where the six new places in local authority secure accomodation planned for since 1st May 1997 will be provided; and how many places have been planned for since 1st May which will become available after the end of 1998.
(34867)
137  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, pursuant to his Oral statement of 3rd February, in the respect of future expansion of the Whittington Hospital, Official Report, column 844, when he expects funding to be available.
(34311)
138  
N  
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what plans he has to ensure that there is nationally available access to specialised stroke units.
(34099)
139  
  
Julia Drown (South Swindon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will amend the European Specialist Medical Qualifications Order 1995, to permit experienced and qualified doctors with Irish specialist qualifications to gain access to the Specialist Register.
(34942)
140  
  
Mr Paul Marsden (Shrewsbury and Atcham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will list the number of GPs in Shropshire for each year since 1979.
(34868)
141  
N  
Mr Rhodri Morgan (Cardiff West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will give details of progress made in providing statutory clinical returns to ICD-10 specifications using Read Codes Version 3; and if he will make a statement.
(34765)
142  
  
Mr Chris Mullin (Sunderland South):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how much his Department (a) has spent since 1st May and (b) is planning to spend on focus groups.
(34966)
143  
  
Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many psychologists and assistants are currently in post at each Young Offenders Institute in (a) London and (b) the Home Counties; what is the full complement for each unit; and what were the number in post for each of the last five years.
(34794)
144  
  
Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what are the current criteria for admittance to a local authority secure unit; and what plans he has to change these.
(34802)
145  
  
Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what are the training and qualification requirements for staff of young offenders units (a) prior to employment and (b) during their term of employment.
(34803)
146  
  
Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many young offenders in young offenders units are assessed to be suffering from mental health problems; and how many are awaiting placement in a secure psychiatric hospital.
(34804)
147  
  
Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what percentage of young offenders on remand in Young Offenders Units were in the care of the local authority prior to remand in each of the last five years.
(34793)
148  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will list for the latest available date the total number of Czech and Slovak Roma asylum seekers who (a) are in detention awaiting determination of their cases, (b) have been released on bail, (c) are awaiting deportation following refusal of their application and (d) have been granted asylum or leave to remain in the United Kingdom.
(34310)
149  
N  
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what assessment he has made of the advantages of disclosing information about sex offenders who have been released.
(34038)
150  
N  
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what plans he has to increase resources for the treatment of sex offenders after they leave prison.
(34039)
151  
N  
Paul Flynn (Newport West):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, when he will publish the research undertaken for his Department by Teesside University Criminology Department on the results of anti-drugs campaigns.
(34719)
152  
N  
Ms Beverley Hughes (Stretford and Urmston):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many reports of child pornography made by the Internet Watch Foundation since it was established have led to prosecutions in the UK or abroad.
(33333)
153  
N  
Ms Beverley Hughes (Stretford and Urmston):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what action he is taking to increase the proportion of illegal child pornography present on UK Internet service providers' news servers which is identified and then removed.
(33332)
154  
N  
Ms Beverley Hughes (Stretford and Urmston):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what estimate he has made of the proportion of illegal child pornography present within the newsgroups over the last year which has been voluntarily removed by UK Internet service providers from their news servers following advice from the Internet Watch Foundation or the Metropolitan Police.
(33331)
155  
N  
Ms Beverley Hughes (Stretford and Urmston):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what information he has received from the Metropolitan Police about the number of internet newsgroups, and the number of articles within such newsgroups, which have contained illegal child pornography over the last year.
(33330)
156  
N  
Ms Beverley Hughes (Stretford and Urmston):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will list the internet service providers offering internet access to UK residents and businesses which (a) are a party to the agreement which established the Internet Watch Foundation and (b) are not party to this agreement.
(33329)
157  
N  
Ms Beverley Hughes (Stretford and Urmston):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what arrangements exist within his Department to monitor the effectiveness of current arrangements for identifying and removing child pornography which is accessible via the Internet to UK residents and businesses.
(33328)
158  
  
Sir Brian Mawhinney (North West Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, when he discussed with the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland his consideration of the case for refusal of extradition in respect of Ms R. McAliskey.
(34531)
159  
N  
Sir Brian Mawhinney (North West Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, pursuant to his oral Answers of 2nd February, Official Report, columns 703-4, on immigration advisers, how many complaints his Department has made to (a) the Office for the Supervision of Solicitors and (b) the Legal Aid Board in respect of the firms of solicitors whose conduct in immigration cases is of concern to his Department.
(34580)
160  
  
Sir Brian Mawhinney (North West Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will agree to set in motion consideration of a prosecution of Ms R. McAliskey if requested to do so by the German authorities.
(34536)
161  
  
Sir Brian Mawhinney (North West Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many complaints his Department has made to (a) the Office for the Supervision of Solicitors and (b) the Legal Aid Board about the conduct of solicitors acting in immigration cases in the past (i) month, (ii) six months and (iii) year.
(34534)
162  
  
Sir Brian Mawhinney (North West Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, at what precise time on 9th March the Irish government (a) Ministers and (b) officials were informed that he had decided not to extradite Ms R. McAliskey to Germany.
(34538)
163  
  
Sir Brian Mawhinney (North West Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, on how many occasions in the past 12 months his Department has asked the Legal Services Ombudsman to examine the way in which the Office for the Supervision of Solicitors dealt with a complaint by his Department about the conduct of a solicitor acting in an immigration case.
(34533)
164  
N  
Sir Brian Mawhinney (North West Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, pursuant to his oral Answers of 2nd February, Official Report, columns 703-4, on immigration advisers, how his Department assesses the quality of representation in immigration and asylum cases provided by those organisations funded under section 23 of the 1991 Immigration Act.
(34581)
165  
  
Sir Brian Mawhinney (North West Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, at what precise time on 9th March he released to the press his decision not to extradite Ms R. McAliskey to Germany.
(34537)
166  
  
Sir Brian Mawhinney (North West Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will list the matters he will take into consideration before deciding whether a prosecution of Ms R. McAliskey in this country is justified.
(34535)
167  
N  
Sir Brian Mawhinney (North West Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, pursuant to his oral Answer of 2nd February, Official Report, columns 703-4, on immigration advisers, what information his Department has passed to the Law Society about the identity and practices of those particular firms of solicitors whose conduct in immigration cases is of concern to his Department; and on what dates.
(34579)
168  
  
Sir Brian Mawhinney (North West Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will publish the medical advice on which he based his decision not to extradite Ms R. McAliskey.
(34530)
169  
  
Mr Chris Mullin (Sunderland South):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how much his Department plans to spend on focus groups.
(34977)
170  
  
Mr Chris Mullin (Sunderland South):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what interests members of police authorities are required to register; and what plans he has to change the requirements.
(34941)
171  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what representations he has received from (a) football organisations, (b) the emergency services, (c) the organisers of the World Cup and (d) the French authorities concerning the prevention of known football hooligans from (i) travelling to France during the World Cup and (ii) obtaining tickets for the World Cup.
(34197)
172  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many people in the UK have been convicted of a football related offence in the last (a) year, (b) two years and (c) five years; and how many are currently the subject of restriction orders.
(34199)
173  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps the Government has taken to reach bilateral agreements with other governments so that domestic courts can impose restriction orders on those convicted of football offences abroad.
(34194)
174  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps he has taken to ensure that those guilty of football offences in France during the World Cup are brought to trial in France.
(34190)
175  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps he has taken to encourage additional countries to ratify and to implement the European Convention on Spectator Violence.
(34193)
176  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many British football fans were arrested during the football World Cup finals held in Italy in 1990.
(34198)
177  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps he has taken to prevent the large-scale deportation of football fans from France during the World Cup; and what representation he has made to the French authorities on this matter.
(34191)
178  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps he has taken to promote the use of restriction orders for those convicted of football-related offences.
(34196)
179  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps he has taken to deny access to football stadia to those in possession of racist or offensive banners and to prevent their display in stadia.
(34192)
180  
N  
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps the Government has taken to increase the penalty for failing to comply with the terms of a restriction order.
(34195)
181  
N  
Mr Tam Dalyell (Linlithgow):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what progress has been made in her plans to develop sanctions which hit elites rather than the mass of the people.
(34769)
182  
N  
Mr David Faber (Westbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what plans she has to further the Middle East peace process through the targeting of (a) the UK's and (b) the EU's aid to the region.
(34727)
183  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what steps her Department has taken to assess the aid needs of Kosovo.
(34854)
184  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, how much her Department expects to spend in (a) 1997-98 and (b) 1998-99 through NGOs to alleviate suffering in respect of disaster, refugee and emergency situations.
(34971)
185  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, if she will make a statement on the United Kingdom's aid programme for Albania.
(34855)
186  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what discussions she has had with the UN concerning assistance to the people of Kosovo.
(34858)
187  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, when she will next meet her EU counterparts to discuss assistance for Kosovo; and if she will publish the agenda of the meeting.
(34852)
188  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, how much she estimates her Department will spend in (a) 1997-98 and (b) 1998-99 on joint funding schemes; how many development projects will be financed through these schemes; and how many United Kingdom NGOs will be involved.
(34974)
189  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, how much her Department expects to spend on bilateral emergency assistance in (a) 1997-98 and (b) 1998-99 and in respect of how many countries this expenditure will be incurred.
(34976)
190  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, if she will make a statement on the future of the United Kingdom's aid programme to Macedonia.
(34856)
191  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, how much her Department expects to spend in (a) 1997-98 and (b) 1998-99 on projects relating to the conservation and management of wildlife; and in respect of how many countries this expenditure will be incurred.
(34975)
192  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, how much her Department will spend on bilateral development assistance programmes through UK NGOs for development and relief activities in (a) 1997-98 and (b) 1998-99.
(34972)
193  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, when she plans to meet officials from the OSCE to discuss the assistance needs of Kosovo.
(34853)
194  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what sums her Department will provide in (a) 1997-98 and (b) 1998-99 to volunteer sending agencies; how many will receive funding in each year; and in how many countries.
(34973)
195  
  
Sir Alastair Goodlad (Eddisbury):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what steps her Department is taking to support multi-party democracy in Uganda.
(34893)
196  
  
Mr Austin Mitchell (Great Grimsby):    To ask the Minister without Portfolio, if he will publish a full list of proposals for the content of the Millennium Experience (a) he and (b) the New Millennium Experience Company has rejected.
(34789)
197  
  
Mr Austin Mitchell (Great Grimsby):    To ask the Minister without Portfolio, if he will list the new games which will be included in the Millennium Experience, indicating in each case (a) the expenditure by the New Millennium Experience Company on their development, (b) the rights acquired by the Company, and (c) the individuals, organisations or companies with which the Company has been associated.
(34860)
198  
  
Mr Austin Mitchell (Great Grimsby):    To ask the Minister without Portfolio, what consultations he has undertaken with (a) the Royal Society and (b) the British Academy on the content of the Millennium Experience.
(34790)
199  
  
Mr Austin Mitchell (Great Grimsby):    To ask the Minister without Portfolio, how many works of art he estimates will be exhibited in the Millennium Dome.
(34787)
200  
  
Mr David Trimble (Upper Bann):    To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, pursuant to her Answer of 11th March, Official Report, column 251, what account she took of the involvement of the IRA in the murder of Kevin Conway in confirming the invitation to Sinn Fein to rejoin the peace talks on 6th March.
(34863)
201  
N  
Norman Baker (Lewes):    To ask the President of the Council, if she will list the honourable Members who (a) retired at the 1997 Dissolution and (b) were defeated in the 1997 general election who have claimed a full year's office cost allowance for 1997-98, broken down by party.
(34690)
202  
N  
Norman Baker (Lewes):    To ask the President of the Council, if she will list the honourable Members who (a) retired at the 1992 Dissolution and (b) were defeated in the 1992 general election who claimed a full year's office cost allowance for 1992-93, broken down by party.
(34689)
203  
  
Mr Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Prime Minister, if Ministers have to obtain agreement from him and from a law officer before issuing or threatening to issue proceedings for supposed defamatory allegations.
(34865)
204  
  
Mr Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Prime Minister, if he will list the dates since 1st May on which Ministers received his permission to issue defamation proceedings, and the names of those Ministers.
(34866)
205  
  
Mr Peter Bottomley (Worthing West):    To ask the Prime Minister, when the Deputy Prime Minister consulted him and the law officers in advance of the letter dated 3rd March by Davenport Lyons to the editor of Punch.
(34864)
206  
N  
Mr Tam Dalyell (Linlithgow):    To ask the Prime Minister, pursuant to the Oral Answer of the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs of 10th March, Official Report, columns 307-8, what criteria he will use to determine the extent of Iraq's compliance with the recent agreement between Iraq and the UN to allow inspections to take place; and if he will submit these criteria to the scrutiny of the French, Russian and Chinese authorities as members of the Security Council.
(34770)
207  
  
Dr Liam Fox (Woodspring):    To ask the Prime Minister, if he will make a statement on representations he made on the siting of matches in Scotland in the event of England hosting the 2006 World Cup finals, to the President of FIFA, when he met him on 11th March.
(34799)
208  
N  
Mr Nick Gibb (Bognor Regis and Littlehampton):    To ask the Prime Minister, what is the official valuation of the accommodation and furnishings provided to each Minister at public expense.
(34707)
209  
N  
Mr Christopher Gill (Ludlow):    To ask the Prime Minister, which members of his Government have attended meetings of the Bilderberg Group.
(34298)
210  
  
Mr Chris Mullin (Sunderland South):    To ask the Prime Minister, how much his Department (a) has spent since 1st May and (b) is planning to spend on focus groups.
(34969)
211  
N  
Mr Michael Ancram (Devizes):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what assessment he has made of the effect of the use of split-ticket voting in the election for a Scottish Parliament under the provisions of the Scotland Bill on the objectives of Government policy as set out in the White Paper, Scotland's Parliament (Cm 3658).
(34582)
212  
N  
Mr Michael Ancram (Devizes):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what representations he has received from student representatives at Scottish universities about (a) the introduction of tuition fees in higher education and (b) the different treatment of students from Scotland and Europe as against those from England, Wales and Northern Ireland in relation to tuition fees for the fourth year of a Scottish degree course.
(34586)
213  
N  
Mr Michael Ancram (Devizes):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, which members of the Scottish Parliament would be Crown servants for the purposes of the Official Secrets Act 1989.
(34584)
214  
N  
Mr Michael Ancram (Devizes):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what measures he is taking to prevent or discourage split-ticket voting in the elections for the Scottish Parliament in 1999.
(34583)
215  
N  
Mr Michael Ancram (Devizes):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, how many powers of entry or rights of entry he has created or is currently creating in legislation since 1st May 1997.
(34585)
216  
N  
Mr Michael Ancram (Devizes):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what steps he is taking in respect of the representation of Scottish fishing interests in the European Council of Ministers after the setting up of the Scottish Parliament.
(34589)
217  
  
Mr Donald Gorrie (Edinburgh West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, when the funding of Scottish local authorities will be changed to a resource accounting basis.
(34940)
218  
  
Mr Donald Gorrie (Edinburgh West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, if his Department will have introduced resource accounting in time for its use in the Scottish Parliament's first budget.
(34939)
219  
N  
Mr Paul Burstow (Sutton and Cheam):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, what estimate her Department has made of the number of DLA claimants who will lose their Motability vehicle as a result of decisions taken as part of the Benefits Integrity Project.
(34488)
220  
N  
Mr Paul Burstow (Sutton and Cheam):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how many DLA claimants who have been subject to BIP to date have had their Motability vehicle repossessed.
(34487)
221  
N  
Mr Paul Burstow (Sutton and Cheam):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, if she will make it her policy to ensure that bridging funding is made available to disabled people who have (a) sought a review of a BIP adjudication and (b) appealed against the Adjudication Officer's decision to ensure that they do not lose their Motability vehicle pending the outcome of the review or appeal, respectively.
(34486)
222  
N  
Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, if she will list, by London borough, her estimate of the number of recipients of council tax benefit who live in property valued above band E; and what is the average extra payment required from them due to the limiting of council tax benefit.
(34306)
223  
N  
Mr Archy Kirkwood (Roxburgh and Berwickshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how many people who have been assessed by the Benefits Integrity Project had their initial claim decided (a) on the basis of the claim pack alone, (b) with a general practitioner's factual report and (c) by medical examination; and how many of those people in each case have had their disability living allowance (i) maintained, (ii) reduced, (iii) increased and (iv) withdrawn.
(34102)
224  
N  
Mr Archy Kirkwood (Roxburgh and Berwickshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how many new awards of disability living allowance, in each year since 1992, (a) were made on the basis of the claim pack alone, (b) also required a factual report from a GP or consultant, (c) required a medical examination and (d) required other evidence, broken down by (i) care component and (ii) mobility component.
(34106)
225  
N  
Mr Archy Kirkwood (Roxburgh and Berwickshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how many new claims for disability living allowance were (a) made and (b) awarded in each quarter since April 1992.
(34104)
226  
N  
Mr Archy Kirkwood (Roxburgh and Berwickshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, if she will list the main disabling conditions of people who have been assessed by the Benefits Integrity Project and have had their disability living allowance (a) maintained, (b) reduced, (c) increased and (d) withdrawn.
(34100)
227  
N  
Mr Archy Kirkwood (Roxburgh and Berwickshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how many people who have been assessed by the Benefits Integrity Project have had their disability living allowance reduced or withdrawn (a) as a result of a lessening of the need or b) where the need was unchanged but equipment was or could be used to meet that need.
(34103)
228  
N  
Mr Archy Kirkwood (Roxburgh and Berwickshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how many people receiving disability living allowance were living in non-local authority residential care or nursing homes for more than 28 days, in each year since 1992.
(34107)
229  
N  
Mr Archy Kirkwood (Roxburgh and Berwickshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how many life awards of disability living allowance in each quarter since April 1992 were made in respect of (a) the care component and (b) the mobility component.
(34105)
230  
N  
Mr Archy Kirkwood (Roxburgh and Berwickshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how many people who have been assessed by the Benefits Integrity Project had made their first claim before 1992; and how many of those people have had their disability living allowance (a) maintained, (b) reduced, (c) increased and (d) withdrawn.
(34101)
231  
N  
Mr Oliver Letwin (West Dorset):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how many pensioners were in receipt of payments from occupational pensions in 1995; and what was the average payment received.
(34705)
232  
N  
Mr Oliver Letwin (West Dorset):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, what was the average lump sum payment received by pensioners with (a) occupational pensions and (b) personal pensions retiring in 1995.
(34706)
233  
N  
Mr Oliver Letwin (West Dorset):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how the number of pensioners entitled to income support but not claiming income support has been measured.
(34708)
234  
N  
Mr Oliver Letwin (West Dorset):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, what proportion of pensioners are home-owners.
(34709)
235  
  
Mr Tom Levitt (High Peak):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, what is the success rate for applicants taking their appeals to social security tribunals and presenting (a) oral and (b) written evidence only.
(34943)
236  
N  
Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, what is her Department's current estimate of funds needed to run the Benefits Integrity Project over the next financial year; what has been the cost of the project since 1st May 1997; how many staff are allocated to the project; and if she will make a statement on the current running costs of the project.
(34593)
237  
  
Mr Chris Mullin (Sunderland South):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, how much her Department (a) has spent since 1st May and (b) is planning to spend on focus groups.
(34970)
238  
N  
Steve Webb (Northavon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, which organisation is carrying out research for her Department on the non take-up by pensioners of their entitlement to income support; at what cost and over what timescale; and if she will place a copy of the organisation's proposed research methodology in the Library.
(34691)
239  
N  
Steve Webb (Northavon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, if she will provide a breakdown of the £15 million pilot scheme for encouraging pensioner take-up of income support by area; and if each area will be applying the same pilot methodology.
(34692)
240  
N  
Mr Dennis Canavan (Falkirk West):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, when she expects to announce her decision about the Office of Fair Trading report on Strathclyde Buses and Midland Bluebird.
(34590)
241  
N  
Mr Michael Clapham (Barnsley West and Penistone):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, what initiatives are planned to ensure cross departmental co-operation and the sharing of information relating to applications for licences to export arms.
(34526)
242  
N  
Mr Michael Clapham (Barnsley West and Penistone):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, what plans she has to bring mobile phone companies under OFTEL.
(34524)
243  
N  
Mr Michael Clapham (Barnsley West and Penistone):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, how many export licence applications were approved between the end of the Gulf War in 1991 and 1997 for shipment to Iraq of growth mediums that could have dual use.
(34527)
244  
N  
Mr Michael Clapham (Barnsley West and Penistone):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, if she will take further steps to ensure that the end use and end user statements are correct on export licence applications for military hardware.
(34525)
245  
N  
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, what steps she has taken to ensure that the West Midlands continues to benefit from Structural Funds after the introduction of Agenda 2000.
(34296)
246  
N  
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, what assessment she has made of the advantages and disadvantages of excluding firms with under 50 workers from union recognition legislation.
(34297)
247  
  
Mr Mike Hancock (Portsmouth South):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, what assessment she has made of the impact of the GATT on the EU ban on the import of furs from countries using leghold traps.
(34798)
248  
  
Mr Mike Hancock (Portsmouth South):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, if she will raise the issue of the effect of the GATT on EU animal welfare directives during the World Trade Organisation Ministerial Conference in Geneva in May; and if she will make a statement.
(34796)
249  
  
Mr Mike Hancock (Portsmouth South):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, what representations she has received on the impact of the GATT on EU animal welfare directives.
(34797)
250  
N  
Mr Lindsay Hoyle (Chorley):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, if she will restrict the sale of fireworks to the general public to within a specified period around 5th November each year.
(34595)
251  
N  
Mr Brian Jenkins (Tamworth):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, what response her Department has made to the Bank of England's January 1998 report on finance for small firms.
(33405)
252  
N  
Mr Bill Michie (Sheffield, Heeley):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, if the Office of Telecommunications has the power to specify that telecommunications companies should consult with other organisations regarding their joint response to an emergency or a potential emergency; and if she will make a statement.
(34176)
253  
N  
Mr Bill Michie (Sheffield, Heeley):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, if the Electricity Regulator has the power to specify that electricity companies should consult with other organisations regarding their joint response to an emergency or a potential emergency; and if she will make a statement.
(34177)
254  
N  
Mr Bill Michie (Sheffield, Heeley):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, if the Office of Gas Supply Regulation has the power to specify that gas supply companies should consult with other organisations regarding their joint response to an emergency or a potential emergency; and if she will make a statement.
(34175)
255  
  
Mr Chris Mullin (Sunderland South):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, how much her Department (a) has spent since 1st May and (b) is planning to spend on focus groups.
(34968)
256  
N  
Mr Keith Simpson (Mid Norfolk):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, what representations she has received concerning the impact of EU regulations on the London art market; and if she will make a statement.
(32916)
257  
N  
Mr Michael Ancram (Devizes):    To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, how many (a) powers of entry or (b) rights he has created or is currently creating in legislation since 1st May 1997.
(34588)
258  
N  
Mr Michael Ancram (Devizes):    To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, what steps he is taking in respect of the representation of Welsh farming interests in the European Council of Ministers after the setting up of the National Assembly for Wales.
(34587)
259  
N  
Mr Rhodri Morgan (Cardiff West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, what cost-sharing arrangements apply with respect to the void office areas in the leasing arrangements between his Department and the Welsh Health Common Services authority.
(34767)
260  
N  
Mr Rhodri Morgan (Cardiff West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, if he will list the remaining units of the Welsh Health Common Services Authority which have (a) been successfully market-tested and (b) remain in Crickhowell House; and if he will list the square footage occupied, and the rental or equivalent paid to his Department as head-lessees per square foot per annum.
(34766)
261  
N  
Mr Rhodri Morgan (Cardiff West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, if he will give details of the rental and service charge arrangements currently applying as between (a) Associated Bristols Ports and his Department and (b) his Department and the Welsh Health Common Services Authority.
(34768)
262  
  
Mr Llew Smith (Blaenau Gwent):    To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, if, in respect of the projects for which Gwent Tertiary College successfully requested EU funding in the past three years, he will list the projects which (a) have and (b) have not received that funding and in each case the amounts received by (i) the college and (ii) the project.
(34532)
263  
  
Mr Gareth Thomas (Clwyd West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, if he will make a statement on his Department's policy in relation to small schools in rural areas.
(34871)
264  
  
Mr Gareth Thomas (Clwyd West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, what steps his Department is taking to ensure that all rural communities in Wales obtain the benefit of high-quality telecommunication services including ISDN.
(34801)
265  
  
Mr Dafydd Wigley (Caernarfon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, how many asbestos-related deaths there were in Wales in 1997; and what was the corresponding figure for the previous year.
(34876)
266  
  
Mr Andrew Robathan (Blaby):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what estimate his Department has made of the number of miles of hedgerow removed by farmers since the enactment of the Hedgerow Regulations Act 1997.
[Transferred] (34938)
267  
  
Mr Lembit Öpik (Montgomeryshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will evaluate the reports concerning an asteroid on a near-collision course with the Earth; and if he will make a statement.
[Transferred] (34873)
268  
  
Mr Lembit Öpik (Montgomeryshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what provision exists for international consultation and co-operation over potential dangers arising from asteroids striking the Earth; and if he will make a statement.
[Transferred] (34875)
269  
  
Mr Lembit Öpik (Montgomeryshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what contingency plans have been made in the event of a threat arising from asteroids colliding with the Earth; and if he will make a statement.
[Transferred] (34874)
270  
  
Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on the extent to which article K(7), if incorporated into United Kingdom law, would be binding on future parliaments.
[Transferred] (34795)


Contents, today's questions
 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries

© Parliamentary copyright 1998
Revised 16 March 1998