House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 1997-98
Publications on the internet
Order Papers

Order Paper Tuesday 15 July 1997

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order Paper (No. 42) for Tuesday 15 July 1997.


No. 42 TUESDAY 15TH JULY 1997 897
ORDER PAPER


PRIVATE BUSINESS AFTER PRAYERS

Third Reading


King's College London Bill [Lords]. (By Order).


Second Reading

    *   Lever Park Bill. (By Order).
      Mr Andrew F. Bennett
            On Second Reading of the Lever Park Bill, to move, That the Bill be read the second time upon this day six months.
[* Bill to be referred to the Examiners.]

* Indicates a Question for Oral Answer
Questions marked thus
[R] indicate that a relevant registered interest has been declared

QUESTIONS FOR ORAL ANSWER

Questions to the President of the Council, the honourable Member answering for the House of Commons Commission and the Chairman of the Finance and Services Committee will
start not later than 3.15 p.m.

*1 Mr Keith Simpson (Mid Norfolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what plans he has to meet local authority representatives to discuss the effects of pay settlements in local authorities in Scotland.
6690
*2 Mr Thomas Graham (West Renfrewshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what steps his Department will take to co-operate with local authorities in preparations for a Scottish Parliament.
6691
*3 Mr William Cash (Stone):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, when he will next attend an EC Fisheries Council to discuss the Scottish fishing industry.
6692
*4 Mr Oliver Letwin (West Dorset):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what plans he has to make public funds available to groups campaigning in the forthcoming referendum in Scotland.
6693
*5 Mrs Theresa May (Maidenhead):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, if he will make a statement about his proposals for tax-varying powers for a Scottish parliament.
6694
*6 Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, when he expects to publish his White Paper on his proposals for the Scottish Assembly.
6695
*7 Mr David Stewart (Inverness East, Nairn and Lochaber):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what plans he has to review his Department's policy on environmentally sensitive areas.
6696
*8 Rachel Squire (Dunfermline West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, when he next intends to meet health board chairpersons to discuss health services for women and children.
6697
*9 Mr Malcolm Savidge (Aberdeen North):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what plans he has for increasing the use of public transport.
6699
*10 Mr John Greenway (Ryedale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what representations he has received on the future of the formula used to calculate the Scottish block grant.
6701
*11 Mr Russell Brown (Dumfries):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, when he intends to reduce the number of health boards and trusts in Scotland.
6702
*12 Mr John Maxton (Glasgow, Cathcart):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, when he intends meeting the British Dental Association to discuss dental health in Scotland.
6703
*13 Mr John Swinney (North Tayside):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, if he will review the strategy of (a) Scottish Enterprise and (b) the local enterprise companies.
6704
*14 Mr Eric Forth (Bromley and Chislehurst):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, if he will make a statement about central government funding of Scottish local authorities.
6705
*15 Mr Malcolm Bruce (Gordon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, if he will make a statement on future plans for upgrading the A96 and the A92.
6706
*16 Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what proposals he is considering to increase expenditure on the NHS in Scotland 1997--98.
6707
*17 Mr Peter Brooke (Cities of London and Westminster):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, if he will make a statement about the Skye Bridge.
6708
*18 Mr Jim Murphy (Eastwood):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what measures he will introduce to stop retailers selling alcopops and designer drinks to young people.
6709
*19 Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what meetings he has had with representatives of Scottish fishermen concerning the conclusions of the Amsterdam Conference.
6710
*20 Mrs Anne McGuire (Stirling):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what plans he has to review strategies for acute care in Scotland.
6711
*21 Mr Dennis Canavan (Falkirk West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, how many public appointments he is responsible for making.
6712
*22 Mr Andrew Robathan (Blaby):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, if he will make a statement on the Government's White Paper on the future government of Scotland.
6713
*23 Mr Archy Kirkwood (Roxburgh and Berwickshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what new resources are to be made available in the current year under the Small Towns Initiative being mounted by Scottish Enterprise; and if he will make a statement.
6714
*24 Mr Alasdair Morgan (Galloway and Upper Nithsdale):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what plans he has to reform the system of milk quotas.
6715
*25 Mr James Paice (South East Cambridgeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, when he will next attend an EC Council of Ministers meeting to discuss Scottish agriculture.
6716
*26 Mr David Maclean (Penrith and Border):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what discussions he has had with private sector institutions regarding PFI for new hospitals in Scotland.
6717
*27 Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham and Sale West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, what proposals he has to take account of public opinion in England in drawing up his proposals for a Scottish Assembly.
6718
*28 Mr Dominic Grieve (Beaconsfield):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, if he will make a statement on the prison population in Scotland.
6719

Questions to the President of the Council, the honourable Member answering for the House of Commons Commission and the Chairman of the Finance and Services Committee will
start not later than 3.15 p.m.

*29 Dr Tony Wright (Cannock Chase):    To ask the Lord President of the Council, if she will make a statement on the role of the Privy Council in relation to the House of Commons Disqualification Act.
6720
*30 Mr Keith Hill (Streatham):    To ask the Lord President of the Council, if she will make a statement on progress made in respect of the modernisation of Parliament.
6721
*31 Mr Andrew Miller (Ellesmere Port and Neston):    To ask the Lord President of the Council, what plans she has to propose changes to the format of the Order Paper.
6722
*32 Mr Rhodri Morgan (Cardiff West):    To ask the Lord President of the Council, what proposals she has to replace Norman French with English for the endorsement of Commons Bills being sent to the other place.
6723
*33 Mr Andrew Rowe (Faversham and Mid Kent):    To ask the Right honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, as representing the House of Commons Commission, what is the estimated annual cost to public funds of sittings of the Scottish Grand Committee.
6724
*34 Mr David Winnick (Walsall North):    To ask the Lord President of the Council, what plans she has to review the responsibilities of the Committee on Standards and Privileges.
6725
*35 Mrs Anne Campbell (Cambridge):    To ask the Lord President of the Council, if she will assess the advantages of introducing a cycle allowance for Right honourable. and honourable Members.
6726
*36 Mr Mike Gapes (Ilford South):    To ask the Right honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, as representing the House of Commons Commission, what plans the Commission has to improve facililities for visitors and families of honourable Members.
6727
*37 Mr Andrew Mackinlay (Thurrock):    To ask the Lord President of the Council, if she will make it her policy to issue statements following meetings of the cabinet committees that she chairs.
6728
*38 Mr Geoffrey Clifton-Brown (Cotswold):    To ask the Lord President of the Council, what is her policy on taking major constitutional bills in the Committee of the whole House.
6729
*39 Mr Andrew Stunell (Hazel Grove):    To ask the Right honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, as representing the House of Commons Commission, what plans the Commission has (a) to make the Palace of Westminster more accessible to the public and (b) to provide clearer information on the operation of the House; and if he will make a statement.
6730
*40 Mr Colin Pickthall (West Lancashire):    To ask the Lord President of the Council, if she will bring forward proposals to put Privy Counsellors on an equal footing with other honourable Members in Parliamentary debates.
6732
*41 Mr Austin Mitchell (Great Grimsby):    To ask the Right honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, as representing the House of Commons Commission, if the Commission will increase the financial provision for resources and facilities available to visitors to the House.
6733


AT THE COMMENCEMENT OF PUBLIC BUSINESS

Notice of Presentation of Bill

    Mr Andrew Mackinlay
          Widening of the M25 Motorway:Bill to make subject to a local planning inquiry any proposal to widen the M25 motorway or to vary the number or width of lanes within its existing curtilage.

Notice of Motion

    Mr Howard Flight
          Television Licence Payments (Age Exemption):That leave be given to bring in a Bill to amend the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 to exempt persons who have attained the age of 75 from paying the fee for certain wireless telegraphy licences; to make provision with respect to the funding of the BBC; and for connected purposes.

ORDERS OF THE DAY AND NOTICES OF MOTIONS

Those marked thus * are Government Orders of the Day

*1 FINANCE BILL:    Committee (Clauses 1, 15, 17 and 19).

For Amendments, see separate Paper.

2 SUPPLEMENTARY ESTIMATES 1997--98
Dawn Primarolo
        That a supplementary sum, not exceeding 66,285,000, be granted to Her Majesty out of the Consolidated Fund to defray the charges for Civil Services which will come in course of payment for the year ending on 31st March 1998, as set out in House of Commons Paper No. 65.
        To be decided at Ten o'clock, pursuant to Standing Order No. 55(1) and (4).
        A Bill is to be brought in upon the above Resolution if it is agreed to by the House.
3 SELECT COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
Mrs Ann Taylor
        That Standing Order No. 146 (Select Committee on Public Administration) be amended, in line 8, by leaving out the word 'nine' and inserting the word 'eleven'.
4 EUROPEAN LEGISLATION
Mr George Mudie
        That Mr Norman Baker, Ms Hazel Blears, Mr Ben Bradshaw, Mr Russell Brown, Mr Roger Casale, Mr William Cash, Mrs Margaret Ewing, Mrs Linda Gilroy, Mr Jimmy Hood, Ms Jennifer Jones, Mr Jim Marshall, Mrs Anne McGuire, Mr Bill Rammell, Mr Anthony Steen, Mr Andrew Tyrie and Mr Shaun Woodward be members of the Select Committee on European Legislation.
        On the Motion for the Adjournment of the House under Standing Order No. 9 Mr Austin Mitchell proposes to raise the subject of the regulation of the insolvency industry.

COMMITTEES

STANDING COMMITTEES

1 First Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation 10.30 a.m. Room 10 (public)
        To consider the Food Protection (Emergency Prohibitions) (Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning) Order 1997 (S.I., 1997, No. 1565)
2 Second Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation 10.30 a.m. Room 14 (public)
        To consider the draft Supply of Beer (Tied Estate) (Amendment) Order 1997
3 Third Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation 4.30 p.m. Room 10 (public)
        To consider the draft Further Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1997
4 Fourth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation 4.30 p.m. Room 9 (public)
        To consider the Draft Asian Development Bank (Sixth Replenishment of the Asian Development Fund) Order 1997 and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (Fourth Replenishment) Order 1997
SELECT COMMITTEES

5 Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs 9.15 a.m. Room 15 (private)
        To choose Chairman and consider course of proceeding
6 Standards and Privileges 10.30 a.m. Room 16 (private)
7 Statutory Instruments Immediately after the meeting of the Joint Committee

Room 7 (private)

JOINT COMMITTEE

8 Statutory Instruments 4.15 p.m. Room 7 (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries

© Parliamentary copyright 1997
Prepared 15 July 1997