House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 1998-99
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business Thursday 3rd December 1998

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for Thursday 3 December 1998.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


At 2.30 p.m.Prayers
Afterwards 
Private Business
NOTICE OF MOTION AT THE TIME OF PRIVATE BUSINESS

    + COMMITTEE OF SELECTION [No debate]
    Mr Keith Bradley
        That Mr Fraser Kemp and Mr Ian Davidson be discharged from the Committee of Selection and Ms Karen Buck and Mr Philip Hope be added to the Committee.

No debate; may not be proceeded with if opposed.

Afterwards 
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry
*1 Steve Webb (Northavon):    What assessment he has made of the contribution to Post Office revenues derived from handling over-the-counter payments of social security benefits.
(61292)
*2 Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    If he will make a statement about the impact on electricity prices of the measures announced in the Government's Energy White Paper.
(61293)
*3 Mr Robert N. Wareing (Liverpool, West Derby):    If he will make a statement on trade between the United Kingdom and Indonesia.
(61294)
*4 Mr Robert Syms (Poole):    Whom the Government plans to consult on the extension of trade union and worker rights.
(61295)
*5 Mr Nigel Griffiths (Edinburgh South):    What steps his Department has taken to create a stable economic climate for manufacturing industry.
(61296)
*6 Sir Teddy Taylor (Rochford and Southend East):    What the total deficit in all trade with the EU has been since 1973 in 1998 prices.
(61297)
*7 Mr Tim Loughton (East Worthing and Shoreham):    What discussions he has held with the Community Pharmacy Action Group in relation to resale price maintenance.
(61298)
*8 Ms Claire Ward (Watford):    If he will make a statement on the progress on implementing his fairness at work policies.
(61300)
*9 Mr Alan W. Williams (Carmarthen East and Dinefwr):    If he will make a statement on the latest figures for investment in manufacturing (a) in cash terms and (b) as a percentage of GDP; and what the comparable figures are for the United Kingdom's main competitors.
(61301)
*10 Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    If he will make a statement on his policy on mergers.
(61302)
*11 Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    What support his Department has given towards strengthening the performance of the European aerospace industry.
(61304)
*12 Mr Dale Campbell-Savours (Workington):    How many letters he has received in respect of the treatment by the (a) National Westminister Bank and (b) Lombard Banking of the Tanning Shop franchisee customers.
(61306)
*13 Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham and Sale West):    If he will make a statement on manufacturing competitiveness.
(61309)
*14 Mr Andy King (Rugby and Kenilworth):    What has been the average annual increase in total government spending on science over the last 20 years.
(61310)
*15 Helen Southworth (Warrington South):    What progress is being made in assisting small businesses to increase their use of electronic communications.
(61311)
*16 Mr Hugh Bayley (City of York):    What steps he is taking to ensure that British scientific research contributes to economic prosperity.
(61312)
*17 Mr Colin Breed (South East Cornwall):    When he expects to receive the Office of Fair Trading report into supermarket retailing.
(61314)
*18 Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle):    What steps he is taking to support the United Kingdom's textile industry.
(61315)
*19 Mr Colin Pickthall (West Lancashire):    What measures he is taking to ensure that DTI grants helping foreign-owned industries to move into the North West do not disadvantage existing indigenous industries.
(61316)
*20 Dr Ian Gibson (Norwich North):    What plans his Department has for the solicitation of scientific advice in order to facilitate policy decision making.
(61317)
*21 Mr Matthew Taylor (Truro and St Austell):    If he will make a statement on the review of assisted area boundaries in relation to Cornwall.
(61318)
*22 Mr Dennis Skinner (Bolsover):    When he expects to receive the decision of the Monopolies Commission regarding the sale of Manchester United FC; and if he will make a statement.
(61319)
*23 Mr Gareth Thomas (Clwyd West):    What steps he has taken to establish networks of research-orientated small and medium-sized enterprises.
(61320)
*24 Ms Gisela Stuart (Birmingham, Edgbaston):    What assessment he has made of the performance of the Government Chemist in meeting his statutory responsibility.
(61321)
*25 Mr Paul Clark (Gillingham):    What plans he has for maintaining diversity of long-term energy supply in the United Kingdom.
(61322)
*26 Mr Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    What representations he has received concerning the youth rate of the national minimum wage; and if he will make a statement.
(61323)
*27 Fiona Mactaggart (Slough):    If he will make a statement on how he intends to promote successful electronic commerce.
(61324)
*28 Mrs Ann Winterton (Congleton):    If he will make a statement on his Department's work in supporting small and medium-sized enterprises.
(61325)
*29 Mr Anthony Steen (Totnes):    How many small businesses he estimates will face increased overheads as a result of the Working Time Directive.
(61326)
At 3.20 p.m. 
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry in respect of the Millennium Experience
*30 Mr David Chaytor (Bury North):    What progress has been made with plans for the opening and closing ceremonies at the Millennium Dome.
(61327)
*31 Mr Ben Chapman (Wirral South):    What is his latest assessment of the private sector's financial input to the Millennium Dome.
(61328)
*32 Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham and Sale West):    How many companies have been approached with requests to sponsor elements of the Millennium Experience.
(61329)
*33 Mr Ian Bruce (South Dorset):    What measures he has put in place to ensure that Ministers dealing with sponsorship for the Millennium Dome do not deal with competition issues affecting those sponsors.
(61331)
*34 Ms Claire Ward (Watford):    If he will make a statement on the level of sponsorship for exhibits within the Millennium Dome.
(61332)
*35 Mrs Eleanor Laing (Epping Forest):    What estimate he has made of the numbers expected to visit the Millennium Dome in its first year.
(61333)
*36 Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    If he will make a statement about corporate sponsorship for the Millennium Dome.
(61334)
*37 Mr Dominic Grieve (Beaconsfield):    If he will make a statement on the number of zones planned for the Millennium Dome.
(61336)

At 3.30 p.m.Private Notice Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)


Main Business
+  1   ADJOURNMENT    [Until 10.00 p.m.]
 The Prime Minister
        That this House do now adjourn.
        Proposed subject for debate: The European Union.    
        Relevant documents:
        Developments in the European Union, January-June 1998 (Cm. 4152);    The Commission's Work Programme for 1999: the policy priorities (EU Document     Number 12841/98);    The Commission's Work Programme for 1999: new legislative initiatives (EU     Document Number 12840/98);    Minutes of Evidence taken before the Foreign Affairs Committee on 1st December,     HC42-i.    
Debate may continue until 10.00 p.m.
+  2   ESTIMATES    [No debate]
 Margaret Beckett
        That this House agrees with the Report [16th November] of the Liaison Committee.
To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 145).
At the end of the sitting:
3   ADJOURNMENT
 
        Proposed subject: Application of the regulatory framework to the London, Tilbury and Southend railway (Mr John Cryer).
        Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).

COMMITTEE MEETINGS
STANDING COMMITTEE
1   Fourth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation 10.30 a.m. Room 9 (public)
        To consider the draft Forensic Science Service Trading Fund Order 1998.
2   Fifth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation 10.30 a.m. Room 11 (public)
        To consider the draft Rates (Amendment) (Northern Ireland) Order 1998.
3   Sixth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation 10.30 a.m. Room 12 (public)
        To consider the Value Added Tax (Input Tax) (Amendment) Order 1998 (S.I., 1998, No. 2767).
SELECT COMMITTEES
4   Defence 10.00 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
        Subject: The Future of NATO.
        Witnesses: Mr Humphry Crum Ewing, Dr Johnathan Eyal, Dr Beatrice Heuser and Mr John Roper.
5   Education and Employment: Employment Sub-Committee 10.30 a.m. 10.45 a.m. Room 21 (private)
(public)
        Subject: European Employment Issues.
        Witness: Rt. Hon. Andrew Smith, MP, Minister for Employment, Department for Education and Employment.
6   Health 10.30 a.m. Room 6 (private)
7   Treasury 10.30 a.m.
10.45 a.m.
Room 8 (private)
(public)
        Subject: Financial Services Authority.
        Witnesses: The Consumers' Association and the PIA Consumer Panel; The British Bankers' Association, The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales and Association of Private Client and Investment Managers (at 11.45 a.m.).
8   Environmental Audit 2.45 p.m.
3.00 p.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
        Subject: Multilateral Agreement on Investment.
        Witness: Rt. Hon. Clare Short, MP, Secretary of State for International Development, Department for International Development.
[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]

Written Questions tabled on Wednesday 2nd December for answer today++
1  
  
Charlotte Atkins (Staffordshire Moorlands):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, when he expects to announce the outcome of the Government's review of the home buying and selling process; and if he will make a statement.
(62585)
2  
  
Mr Dave Watts (St Helens North):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what controls he envisages to give effect to the land use planning requirements of the COMAH Directive; and if he will make a statement.
(62586)
3  
  
Mr Denis MacShane (Rotherham):    To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security, when he will publish the Chief Child Support Officer's Annual Report for 1997-98.
(62587)
4  
  
Mr David Lock (Wyre Forest):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, when he intends to publish the Report following the review by Professor Sheila McLean of the consent provisions in the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990.
(62588)
5  
  
Mr Gordon Marsden (Blackpool South):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, if he will set out the basis of his calculations of the distributable amount of non-domestic rates for 1999-2000.
(62589)
6  
  
Mr Derek Twigg (Halton):    To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what her plans are for further assistance to Central America in the aftermath of Hurricane Mitch.
(62674)
7  
  
Mr Derek Twigg (Halton):    To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, what plans have been made to introduce measures to secure scallop stock conservation.
(62675)
8  
  
Mr Andrew Miller (Ellesmere Port and Neston):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he has received a copy of the Annual Report for 1997 by the National Advisory Council for the Boards of Visitors of England and Wales.
(62676)
9  
  
Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Employment, if he will make a statement on the outcome of the EU Youth Affairs Council meeting on 26th November.
(62772)
10  
  
Mr Stephen Hesford (Wirral West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, when he will lay a revised version of the Code of Practice on the Mental Health Act 1983 before the House.
(62773)
11  
  
Mr Ivan Henderson (Harwich):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what the Government has done to meet the concerns of the plant and equipment hire industry over the introduction of the new Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.
(62787)
12  
  
Ms Jackie Lawrence (Preseli Pembrokeshire):    To ask the Secretary of State for Wales, what proposals he has for the Record of the National Assembly for Wales.
(62797)
13  
  
Mr Barry Jones (Alyn and Deeside):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, if he is yet in a position to make his decision on the proposal to construct a combined heat and power generating station adjacent to the Shotton paper mill in Flintshire.
(62874)

Standing Committee Notices
    The Northern Ireland Grand Committee will meet on Thursday 10th December at 10.30 a.m. to consider the matter of the Comprehensive Spending Review in Northern Ireland.
    The First Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Tuesday 8th December at 10.30 am to consider the draft Police Act 1997 (Notification of Authorisations etc.) Order 1998 and the draft Police Act 1997 (Authorisation of Action in Respect of Property) (Code of Practice) Order 1998.
    The Second Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Tuesday 8th December at 4.30 pm to consider the draft Parole Board (Transfer of Functions) Order 1998.
    The Third Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Thursday 10th December at 10.30 am to consider the draft Government of Wales Act 1998 (Housing) (Amendments) Order 1998.

MEMORANDA
NORTHERN IRELAND GRAND COMMITTEE
[sitting at Westminster]
    Applications for an Adjournment Debate for the sitting of the Committee on Thursday 10th December 1998 should be submitted to Madam Speaker's office by 10.00 p.m. or the rising of the House (whichever is the earlier) on Monday 7th December 1998.
    The Ballot will take place on Tuesday 8th December 1998.

BALLOT FOR PRIVATE MEMBERS' BILLS
        The Speaker has appointed 12 noon and Committee Room 10 as the time and place for holding the Ballot for Private Members' Bills on Thursday 3rd December.

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries

© Parliamentary copyright 1998
Prepared 3 December 1998