House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 1998-99
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business Tuesday 15th December 1998

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for Tuesday 15 December 1998.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


At 2.30 p.m.Prayers
Afterwards 
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Health
*1 Mr Matthew Taylor (Truro and St Austell):    If he will make a statement on ambulance response times in Cornwall.
(62442)
*2 Mrs Helen Brinton (Peterborough):    When he will publish his strategy for NHS dentistry.
(62443)
*3 Mr Nick St. Aubyn (Guildford):    If he will make a statement on the refusal by some health authorities to fund recently approved drugs for cancer patients.
(62444)
*4 Mr Mark Todd (South Derbyshire):    What assessment he has made of the preparedness of ambulance services in respect of year 2000 compliance.
(62445)
*5 Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    What plans he has to review the workings of independent review panels in the NHS.
(62446)
*6 Mr Derek Twigg (Halton):    What roles and responsibilities he proposes for regional commissions for care standards.
(62447)
*7 Mr Andrew Love (Edmonton):    When he expects to publish his White Paper on tobacco.
(62448)
*8 Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    If he will make a statement on the advice given to Goodmayes Hospital by the NHS Executive concerning the possible continuance of mixed-sex wards in psychiatric units.
(62449)
*9 Mr Ian Stewart (Eccles):    When he expects to publish his White Paper on tobacco.
(62451)
*10 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire):    If he will make a statement on his policy on emergency treatment fees in the NHS for road accident victims.
(62452)
*11 Mrs Teresa Gorman (Billericay):    If he will make a statement on his plans for the future management of children's homes.
(62453)
*12 Mr Bill O'Brien (Normanton):    If he will make a statement on current trends in NHS waiting lists (a) regionally and (b) nationally.
(62454)
*13 Mr David Kidney (Stafford):    How many health trusts have become technically insolvent.
(62455)
*14 Caroline Flint (Don Valley):    How many health authorities organised events to support NHS 50th anniversary celebrations.
(62456)
*15 Mr Gareth R. Thomas (Harrow West):    What roles and responsibilities he proposes for regional commissions for care standards.
(62457)
*16 Mr Michael Foster (Hastings and Rye):    What roles and responsibilities he plans to give the regional commissions for care standards.
(62458)
*17 Mr Mike Gapes (Ilford South):    What plans he has to facilitate the employment of refugee doctors.
(62459)
*18 Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    What progress is being made on plans for the new hospital in Swindon; and when it will open.
(62460)
*19 Mr Dale Campbell-Savours (Workington):    If he will further review the application for infertility treatment by Mrs X whose name has been provided to him.
(62461)
*20 Mr Alan Simpson (Nottingham South):    What the current trend rate is in NHS waiting lists; and what it was in the period up to May 1997.
(62462)
*21 Mr Bob Blizzard (Waveney):    If he will make a statement on progress in the establishment of primary care groups.
(62464)
*22 Ms Oona King (Bethnal Green and Bow):    If he will relax the restrictions on health authorities in inner city areas in relation to the development of primary care premises.
(62465)
*23 Mr Fabian Hamilton (Leeds North East):    If he will make a statement on the provision of mental health services in the city of Leeds.
(62466)
*24 Paddy Tipping (Sherwood):    What plans he has for encouraging co-operation between NHS hospitals.
(62467)
*25 Mr David Heath (Somerton and Frome):    Under what circumstances the age of a patient is the determining factor in the provision of NHS treatment.
(62468)
*26 Mr John Wilkinson (Ruislip-Northwood):    How many (a) letters and (b) other representations his Department has received against Hillingdon Health Authority's proposal to move the Burns, Plastic and Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Unit from Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood.
(62469)
*27 Dr Nick Palmer (Broxtowe):    What progress is being made in reducing waiting lists.
(62470)
*28 Laura Moffatt (Crawley):    What plans he has for encouraging management co-operation between NHS hospitals in order to reduce administration costs.
(62471)
*29 Mr Andrew Miller (Ellesmere Port and Neston):    What action he is taking to monitor co-operation between health and social services bodies in dealing with winter pressures.
(62472)
*30 Mr Richard Burden (Birmingham, Northfield):    If he will make a statement on the development of primary care groups.
(62473)
*31 Siobhain McDonagh (Mitcham and Morden):    How many patients currently have been waiting over 18 months for hospital treatment; and what was the largest figure for those waiting over 18 months in the NHS in the period 1979 to 1997.
(62474)
*32 Mr Keith Darvill (Upminster):    If he will make a statement about the progress towards implementation of the nine specific recommendations on primary care set out in the Strategic Review of London Health Services conducted by the Independent Advisory Panel chaired by Professor Sir Leslie Turnberg.
(62475)
*33 Mr Eric Martlew (Carlisle):    What action he is taking to protect NHS staff in the event of inaccurate attacks on their professional integrity and performance.
(62476)
*34 Mrs Janet Dean (Burton):    If he will estimate the effect on management costs of abolishing GP fundholding.
(62477)
*35 Mr David Borrow (South Ribble):    What estimate he has made of the savings in administrative costs to be made from abolishing GP fundholding.
(62478)
*36 Mr Harry Cohen (Leyton and Wanstead):    If he will review the elements of the weighted capitation formula for the allocation of NHS resources to health authorities; and if he will make a statement.
(62479)
*37 Mr Christopher Fraser (Mid Dorset and North Poole):    If he will make a statement on how he intends to meet his target for nurse recruitment.
(62480)
*38 Norman Baker (Lewes):    What recent assessment he has made of the correlation between road traffic levels and health service costs.
(62481)

At 3.30 p.m.Private Notice Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)


Main Business
+  1   GREATER LONDON AUTHORITY BILL: Adjourned Debate on Amendment to Question for Second Reading [14th December].    [Until 7.00 p.m.]
 
        And a Motion being made, and the Question being proposed, That the Bill be now read a second time:--
        An Amendment was proposed to the Question, to leave out from `That' to the end of the Question and to add `this House, while welcoming the proposal for a directly elected mayor for Greater London, declines to give a Second Reading to the Greater London Authority Bill because, instead of creating an Assembly consisting of representatives nominated by each London borough and the Corporation of London, which would best serve London's interests, it provides for the establishment of a directly elected Assembly which would diminish the status of the London boroughs and would be likely to lead to conflict between the boroughs and the Greater London Authority; and because, in failing to provide for the transfer of London Underground to the private sector so as to boost investment and in proposing the imposition of new taxes on motorists in London to pay for cuts in central government spending, the Bill offers an inadequate response to the problems of transport in London.', instead thereof--(Mrs Gillian Shephard    ).
        Question proposed, That the Amendment be made:--
        The Speaker will put the questions necessary to dispose of proceedings on Second Reading at 7.00 p.m. (Order of 10th December).
 Mr Secretary Prescott    [Up to 20 minutes]
 
        After Second Reading of the Greater London Authority Bill, to move, That--
        (1) Clauses 1 to 4 and Schedules 1 and 2 be committed to a Committee of the whole House;
        (2) the remainder of the Bill be committed to a Standing Committee; and
        (3) when the provisions of the Bill considered, respectively, by the Committee of the whole House and by Standing Committee have been reported to the House, the Bill be proceeded with as if the Bill had been reported as a whole to the House from the Standing Committee.
        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 63(3)).
 Mr Paddy Ashdown
Mr A. J. Beith
Mr Simon Hughes
Mr Paul Burstow
Mr Tom Brake
Mr Paul Tyler
 
        To move, That the Greater London Authority Bill be referred to a Special Standing Committee.
 Mr Paddy Ashdown
Mr A. J. Beith
Mr Simon Hughes
Mr Paul Burstow
Mr Tom Brake
Mr Paul Tyler
 
        That it be an Instruction to any Committee to which the Greater London Authority Bill may be committed that the Committee have power to make provision that the Greater London Authority be declared the regional government for Greater London; to permit London-wide referendums to be called by the Greater London Authority to vary the powers of the Secretary of State in Greater London, to give tax-varying powers to the Greater London Authority and to transfer powers between the Mayor and Assembly; to make provision for the establishment of parish and community councils in Greater London and to make provision in the Bill for health and further education services in Greater London.
+  2   GREATER LONDON AUTHORITY BILL [MONEY]: Queen's Recommendation signified.    [No debate]
 Dawn Primarolo
        That, for the purposes of any Act resulting from the Greater London Authority Bill, it is expedient to authorise--
        (1) the charging on, and payment out of, the Consolidated Fund of expenditure incurred by returning officers in relation to the holding of the first ordinary election of the Greater London Authority; and
        (2) the payment out of money provided by Parliament of--
          (a) any expenditure incurred by a Minister of the Crown or government department under or by virtue of the Act; and
          (b) any increase attributable to the Act in the sums payable out of such money under any other Act.
To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 52(1)(a)).
+  3   GREATER LONDON AUTHORITY BILL [WAYS AND MEANS]    [No debate]
 Dawn Primarolo
        That, for the purposes of any Act resulting from the Greater London Authority Bill, it is expedient to authorise--
        (1) the making of provision for and in connection with--
          (a) the levying of charges on persons using or keeping motor vehicles on roads in Greater London;
          (b) the levying of charges on persons providing parking places for motor vehicles in Greater London; and
          (c) charges to tax in connection with transfers of property, rights and liabilities; and
        (2) the payment of sums into the Consolidated Fund.
To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 52(1)(a)).
+  4   FISHERIES: TOTAL ALLOWABLE CATCHES AND QUOTAS 1999    [Until 10.00 p.m.]
 The Prime Minister
Mr Secretary Prescott
Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer
Mr Secretary Cook
Mr Secretary Straw
Mr Nicholas Brown
 
        That this House takes note of European Union Document No. COM(98)680, relating to the fixing of total allowable catches for 1999 and certain conditions under which they may be fished; and supports the Government's intentions to negotiate the best possible fishing opportunities for British fishermen based on sustainable fisheries management, effective enforcement and the need to ensure that regional differences of fisheries are fully recognised.
        As Amendments to the Prime Minister's proposed Motion (Fisheries: Total Allowable Catches and Quotas 1999):
 Mr Alex Salmond
Mrs Margaret Ewing
Mr Andrew Welsh
Ms Roseanna Cunningham
Mr Alasdair Morgan
Mr John Swinney
 
        Line 3, leave out from `fished;' to `to' and insert `notes that from 1999 the Scottish parliament will have responsibility for fishing issues in Scotland; calls on the Government to ensure that the Scottish fishing minister has a place as of right in the UK team at Council of Ministers meetings and where possible leads the UK delegation; and urges the Government'.
 Mr Paddy Ashdown
Mr A. J. Beith
Mr Charles Kennedy
Mr Andrew George
Mr James Wallace
Mr Paul Tyler
 
        Line 6, at end add `recalls that the previous Government added to the burden of UK fishing communities, missed crucial opportunities to develop and enhance the industry, failed to take decisive action to reduce the loss of British fish quota to "flag of convenience" vessels and brought forward Spanish access to western waters by six years; welcomes the forthcoming reform of the Common Fisheries Policy as an opportunity to establish a decentralised system based on the regional management of fisheries which should aim to reduce the needs for discards and improve the accuracy of the scientific base for decision making, ensure equality of monitoring and enforcement across the EU, protect the six and 12 mile fishing limits and develop a policy to encourage low-impact and sustainable fishing methods; and recognises that the fishing industry should continue to be exempt from the EU Working Time Directive.'.
        Relevant document: Unnumbered Explanatory Memorandum submitted by the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food on 7th December 1998 relating to the laying down, for 1999, of certain measures for the conservation and management of fishery resources applicable to vessels flying the flag of Norway and allocating, for 1999, catch quotas between Member States for vessels fishing in the Norwegian exclusive economic zone and the fishing zone around Jan Mayen.
The Speaker will put the questions necessary to dispose of proceedings not later than 10.00 p.m. (Order of 10th December).
+  5   CONSOLIDATED FUND BILL: Second Reading.    [No debate]
The questions on Second and Third Reading of the Consolidated Fund Bill will be put without debate (Standing Order No. 56).
+  6   BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE    [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]
 Margaret Beckett
        That, at the sitting on Wednesday 16th December, proceedings on any Motions in the name of Margaret Beckett relating to modernisation of the House of Commons, sittings of the House or meetings of standing committees may continue, though opposed, until any hour and the Speaker shall put the Questions necessary to dispose of proceedings not later than eight o'clock, or four hours after the commencement of proceedings, whichever is the later, and such Questions shall include the Questions on any Amendments selected by her which may then be moved.
If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.
At the end of the sitting:
7   ADJOURNMENT
 
        Proposed subject:Alternative fuels for freight vehicles     (Dr Alan Whitehead).
        Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).

COMMITTEE MEETINGS
STANDING COMMITTEES
1   Standing Committee A 10.30 a.m. Room 10 (public)
        To consider the Water Industry Bill.
2   Standing Committee B 10.30 a.m. Room 12 (public)
        To consider the Road Traffic (NHS Traffic) Bill.
3   First Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation 10.30 a.m. Room 9 (public)
        To consider the draft Financing of Maintained Schools Regulations 1998.
4   Second Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation 4.30 p.m. Room 9 (public)
        To consider the draft Criminal Legal Aid (Scotland) (Prescribed Proceedings) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 1998 and the draft Advice and Assistance (Assistance by Way of Representation) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 1998.
SELECT COMMITTEES
5   Public Administration 9.00 a.m.
9.15 a.m.
City Chambers, Edinburgh (private)
(public)
        Subject: The Report of the Health Service Commissioner for 1997-98.
        Witnesses: Scottish Association of Health Councils; The Scottish Office, Department of Health (at 10.15 a.m.).
6   Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs: Environment Sub-Committee 9.45 a.m.
10.00 a.m.
Room 16 (private)
(public)
        Subject: Local Government Finance.
        Witnesses: Professor Peter C Smith, York University; Mr Bob Chilton, Audit Commission (at 10.20 a.m.); Hilary Armstrong, MP, Minister of State, Minister for Local Government and Housing and Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions officials (at 11.00 a.m.).
7   International Development 10.00 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 6 (private)
(public)
        Subject: The Future of the EC Development Budget.
        Witness: Rt Hon Clare Short, MP, Secretary of State for International Development.
8   Trade and Industry 10.00 a.m. Room 7 (private)
9   Agriculture 10.00 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 21 (private)
(public)
        Subject: The UK Pig Industry.
        Witnesses: Meat and Livestock Commission; Mr Jeff Rooker, MP, Minister of State, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.
10   Home Affairs 10.15 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 5 (private)
(public)
        Subject: The Work of the Criminal Cases Review Commission.
        Witnesses: Mr Adrian Clarke, Bindman & Partners, Kate Akester, Criminal Justice Director, JUSTICE and Gareth Peirce, BM Birnberg & Co; Sir Frederick Crawford, Chairman, Criminal Cases Review Commission (at approximately 11.30 a.m.).
11   Foreign Affairs 10.30 a.m. Room 20 (private)
12   Treasury 10.30 a.m.
10.45 a.m.
Room 8 (private)
(public)
        Subject: Financial Services Authority.
        Witnesses: Ms Patricia Hewitt, MP, Economic Secretary to the Treasury and HM Treasury officials.
13   Welsh Affairs 10.30 a.m.
11.00 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
        Subject: Broadcasting in Wales and the National Assembly.
        Witnesses: Rt Hon Alun Michael, MP, Secretary of State for Wales and Welsh Office and Department for Culture, Media and Sport officials.
14   Education and Employment 3.45 p.m.
4.00 p.m.
Room 18 (private)
(public)
        Subject: Opportunities for Disabled People.
        Witnesses: CBI and the Federation of Small Businesses.
15   Statutory Instruments Immediately after the meeting on the Joint Committee of Statutory Instruments Room 7 (private)
JOINT COMMITTEES
16   Parliamentary Privilege 10.00 a.m. Room 4 (private)
17   Statutory Instruments 4.15 p.m. Room 7 (private)
[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]

Written Questions tabled on Monday 14th December for answer today++
1  
  
Mr Andrew Reed (Loughborough):    To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will publish the Annual Report of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority.
(64266)
2  
  
Mr Ivan Henderson (Harwich):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, when he expects to publish his shipping policy paper.
(64267)
3  
  
Mr Andrew Reed (Loughborough):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will publish statistics on the police use of firearms for the latest period for which such statistics are available.
(62268)
4  
  
Mr Clive Efford (Eltham):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, when he expects to receive a copy of the Stephen Lawrence inquiry report.
(64269)
5  
  
Christine Butler (Castle Point):    To ask the President of the Board of Trade, what plans he has for the development of the Government's Foresight Programme.
(64270)
6  
  
Miss Anne Begg (Aberdeen South):    To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what the key targets are for 1998-99 for the Chief Executive of Queen Victoria School.
(64271)
7  
  
Mr Martin Salter (Reading West):    To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he intends to set next year's television licence fee at the level indicated by the five year formula announced by the previous government; and if he will make a statement about future licence fee levels.
(64272)
8  
  
Mr Gwyn Prosser (Dover):    To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what are the key targets for 1998-99 for the Chief Executive of the Duke of York's Royal Military School.
(64273)
9  
  
Mr Mike Gapes (Ilford South):    To ask the Prime Minister, what ministerial support is provided to the President of the Council.
(64274)
10  
  
Mr Mike Gapes (Ilford South):    To ask the Prime Minister, what plans there are to carry out a review of the Queen's Awards for Export, Technological and Environmental Achievement.
(64275)
11  
  
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, if he will make a statement on the new transporters for Challenger 2 tanks.
(64276)
12  
  
Mr Dave Watts (St Helens North):    To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, if he will make a statement about the Army's requirement for ammunition.
(64277)
13  
  
Mr Ben Chapman (Wirral South):    To ask the Chairman of the Catering Committee, if he will make a statement about Public Bodies 1998 and the Executive NDPB 1998 report.
(64385)
14  
  
Dr Phyllis Starkey (Milton Keynes South West):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what progress has been made on devolving the setting of Building Regulations control charges to individual local authorities in England and Wales.
(64386)
15  
  
Mr Bob Blizzard (Waveney):    To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, what measures his Department proposes to meet the Government's pledge to stop the loss of school playing fields.
(64387)
16  
  
Dr Lewis Moonie (Kirkcaldy):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, if he will make a statement on the Government's policy on the Scottish Law Commission's Incapable Adults Report (Scots Law Com. No. 151).
(64388)
17  
  
Mr David Stewart (Inverness East, Nairn and Lochaber):    To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland, when the Scottish Environment Protection Agency report into fragments of irradiated nuclear fuel in the Dounreay local environment will be received.
(64389)

MEMORANDUM

SCOTTISH GRAND COMMITTEE


MONDAY 18th JANUARY 1999


[sitting at New Parliament House, Edinburgh]

    Applications for an Adjournment Debate for the sitting on Monday 18th January 1999 should be submitted to Madam Speaker's Office by 10.00 p.m. or the rising of the House (whichever is the earlier) on Tuesday 12th January 1999.
    The Ballot will take place on Wednesday 13th January 1999.

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries

© Parliamentary copyright 1998
Prepared 15 December 1998