LETTER FROM THE CLERK OF THE COMMITTEE
TO THE EDUCATION AND LIBRARY BOARDS
ENQUIRY INTO PUBLIC EXPENDITURE IN NORTHERN
Thank you for your response to the Committee's
previous request for written information on provision for Special
I enclose further questions, which it would
be useful if you could reply to in advance of the appearance before
the Committee of representatives of the Education and Library
Boards on Wednesday 22 July.
A particular concern is the amount of accurate
information collected by the Boards.
It would be helpful if you could reply by Wednesday
26 June 1998
WRITTEN QUESTIONS FOR BOARDS
1. On what basis do you calculate funding for
placements of children with statements of special educational
2. Please describe the criteria that assist
you in making different allocations to different schools.
3. How do you evaluate the effectiveness of
different placements for children with statements of special educational
4. What are the reporting arrangements in respect
of how schools use the funding for non-statemented pupils with
special educational needs?
5. How do you interpret and apply the definitions
of "special education provision" and "special educational
needs" (as set out in the Education (NI) Order 1996) for
your Board area?
6. Do you apply the definitions differentially
for the various categories of special education needs as defined
in the forthcoming Code of Practice? If so, how?
7. What steps has the Board taken towards promoting
the integration of pupils with statements of special educational
needs into mainstream schools?
8. How many children of school age in your Board's
area are receiving education otherwise than at school (EOTAS)?
What is the cost of this provision? On average, what percentage
of full-time education does education otherwise provide? What
is the nature of this provision?
9. What arrangements are there for co-operation
between your Board and Health and Social Services Boards? If there
are difficulties, please give examples.
10. Are there any agreed policies between the
Education and Library Board and the appropriate Health and Social
Service Board regarding health and social services provision for
children with special educational needs?