55. Our consideration of the issues involved in firearms
control has led us to draw up a list of key principles which we
believe should underpin a fair and consistent system. The principles
set out below will form the basis for many of our more detailed
56. We recommend that firearms control is based
on the following principles:
- Protection of public safety.
- Simplicity of administration.
- A uniform test of an individual's fitness
to possess firearms.
- Application to all firearms which have the
potential to kill.
- No undue restriction on the legitimate occupational
and recreational use of firearms.
- Sufficient flexibility to respond to potentially
dangerous developments in firearms technology.
- Efficient administration at no net cost to
- Firm and definite strategies to counter the
illegal possession and criminal use of firearms.