some default text...
          House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2000-01
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business Tuesday 8th May

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for Tuesday 8th May.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


At 2.30 p.m.       Prayers
Afterwards
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Scotland
*1 Mr Ian Davidson (Glasgow, Pollok):    What recent discussions she has had with the Scottish Excutive about levels of employment in Scotland.
( 159289 )
*2 Mr Malcolm Savidge (Aberdeen North):    How many people in Scotland have benefited from the national minimum wage since its introduction.
( 159290 )
*3 Rosemary McKenna (Cumbernauld and Kilsyth):    What recent discussions she has had with the First Minister concerning the Government's anti-drugs strategy.
( 159291 )
*4 Mr Alex Salmond (Banff and Buchan):    What discussions she has held with the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions on the Barnett formula.
( 159292 )
*5 Mr Tom Clarke (Coatbridge and Chryston):    When she next plans to meet the Disability Rights Commission to discuss the promotion of the Commission's remit in Scotland.
( 159293 )
*6 Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):    If she will make a statement about the impact on rural and cross-border transport of fuel duties in Scotland.
( 159294 )
*7 Mr Nigel Evans (Ribble Valley):    When she last met the First Minister, what discussions she had in relation to reform of the Barnett formula.
( 159295 )
*8 Mr Brian H. Donohoe (Cunninghame South):    When she last met the First Minister to discuss the Scottish economy.
( 159296 )
*9 Mr Desmond Browne (Kilmarnock and Loudoun):    What discussions she has had with (a) Railtrack and (b) the Strathclyde Passenger Transport Executive about financial support for the improvement of rail links to East Ayrshire.
( 159298 )
*10 Mr Michael Jack (Fylde):    What recent proposals she has put forward about reform of the Barnett formula; and if she will make a statement.
( 159299 )
*11 John Robertson (Glasgow Anniesland):    What plans she has to meet pensioner organisations in Scotland to discuss pension levels and the take up of the minimum income guarantee.
( 159300 )
*12 Mr Robert Maclennan (Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross):    What recent discussions she has had with the Secretary of State for Defence concerning the impact of his Department's policies and programmes on the economic development of the Highlands.
( 159301 )
*13 Mr Eric Clarke (Midlothian):    What recent discussions she has had regarding the future ferry services and improved road links between Scotland and Northern Ireland.
( 159302 )
*14 Miss Anne Begg (Aberdeen South):    What action she is taking to encourage the take-up of the child tax credit in Scotland.
( 159303 )
*15 Mr David Marshall (Glasgow, Shettleston):    If she will make a statement about the number of children living in poverty in Scotland in each year since 1997.
( 159304 )
*16 Mr Alasdair Morgan (Galloway and Upper Nithsdale):    What discussions she has had with the First Minister regarding the tourism industry in Scotland.
( 159305 )
*17 Mr John McFall (Dumbarton):    What discussions she has had with the Scottish Executive about methods of publicising the children's tax credit in Scotland.
( 159306 )
*18 Mrs Margaret Ewing (Moray):    If she will make a statement on the textile industry in Scotland.
( 159307 )
*19 Mr Frank Roy (Motherwell and Wishaw):    If she will make a statement about the New Deal 50 Plus in Scotland.
( 159308 )
*20 Mrs Ray Michie (Argyll and Bute):    What recent discussions she has had with the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport about the implementation of the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages regarding the Gaelic language; and if she will make a statement.
( 159309 )
*21 Rachel Squire (Dunfermline West):    What recent discussions she has had with the Defence Secretary concerning defence-related employment in Scotland.
( 159310 )
*22 Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    If she will make a statement about the responsibilities of her Department in relation to the handling of the foot and mouth outbreak in Scotland.
( 159311 )
*23 Mr David Stewart (Inverness East, Nairn and Lochaber):    If she will make a statement on the effect of the national minimum wage on wage rates in Scotland.
( 159312 )

At 2.55 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Advocate General for Scotland
*24 Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    On how many occasions she has been requested to give advice on the implementation of the Human Rights Act 1998 in Scotland; and if she will make a statement.
( 159313 )
*25 Mr David Stewart (Inverness East, Nairn and Lochaber):    If she will make a statement on her role in monitoring the impact of the Human Rights Act 1998.
( 159314 )
*26 Mr Desmond Browne (Kilmarnock and Loudoun):    What discussions she had with the Scottish Executive about the ratification of the Rome Statute on the International Criminal Court.
( 159315 )
*27 Mr John McFall (Dumbarton):    In what proportion of the devolution issue cases referred to her she has intervened since 3rd April.
( 159316 )
*28 John Robertson (Glasgow Anniesland):    What criteria she applies in reaching her decisions on which devolution issue cases to intervene in.
( 159317 )

At 3.00 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department
*29 Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):    If he will make a statement on the role of the private finance initiative in the provision of new magistrates' courts.
( 159318 )
*30 Mr Ben Chapman (Wirral South):    If he will make a statement on the progress being made to allow people from a wider range of social backgrounds to become JPs.
( 159319 )
*31 Mr Simon Thomas (Ceredigion):    If he will make a statement on the use of information technology to support rural courtrooms.
( 159320 )
*32 Mr Geoffrey Clifton-Brown (Cotswold):    If he will establish an appointments commission to select judges.
( 159321 )
*33 Mr Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield):    What recent action the Lord Chancellor's Department has taken to improve access to justice in Macclesfield; and if he will make a statement.
( 159322 )
*34 Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):    If he will make a statement on the impact of the Human Rights Act 1998 on rural magistrates' courts.
( 159323 )
*35 Mr Harry Cohen (Leyton and Wanstead):    What plans he has to place a maximum ceiling on the costs to public funds of trial proceedings.
( 159324 )
*36 Mr Michael Fabricant (Lichfield):    How many magistrates' court trials over the last 12 months for which data are available were (a) delayed and (b) discontinued as a result of the non-arrival of witnesses for the prosecution.
( 159325 )
*37 Mr John Bercow (Buckingham):    If he will make a statement on the future of the lay magistracy.
( 159326 )
*38 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire):    When he expects the Auld Report to be published.
( 159327 )
*39 Bob Russell (Colchester):    How many new court houses have been (a) planned and (b) built under the private finance initiative.
( 159328 )
*40 Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle):    What recent assessment he has made the case for parallel juries to facilitate research into the reasons behind juries' verdicts.
( 159329 )
*41 Ms Rosie Winterton (Doncaster Central):    If he will make a statement on his plans for the lay magistracy.
( 159330 )

At 3.15 p.m.
Oral Questions to the President of the Council, the honourable Member answering for the House of Commons Commission and the Chairman of the Finance and Services Committee
*42 Mr John Bercow (Buckingham): To ask the President of the Council, if she will bring forward proposals to the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons on the procedure for the tabling of oral questions.
( 159331 )
*43 Mr Graham Brady (Altrincham and Sale West): To ask the President of the Council, what steps she proposes to take to improve the ability of the House to hold the executive to account.
( 159332 )
*44 Mrs Anne Campbell (Cambridge): To ask the President of the Council, what representations she has received about programme motions for legislation.
( 159333 )
*45 Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle): To ask the President of the Council, what recent discussions she has had with the Chairman of the House of Lords Appointments Commission on giving rejected applicants for a people's peerage the reasons for their rejection if the applicant so requests.
( 159334 )
*46 Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West): To ask the President of the Council, what further proposals she plans to put before the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons.
( 159335 )
*47 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire): To ask the President of the Council, what plans she has to bring forward proposals to the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons to improve the level of investment in the PDVN Network.
( 159337 )
*48 Mr Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield): To ask the President of the Council, what her policy is on the recommendations of the Top Salary Review Body relating to the pay of honourable Members and the office costs allowance.
( 159338 )
*49 Mr Peter Bottomley (Worthing West): To ask the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission, which staffing reports concerning overloading in departments of the House have not been acted on in the past two years.
( 159339 )
*50 Helen Jackson (Sheffield, Hillsborough): To ask the President of the Council, what proposals she has further to modernise proceedings in the House.
( 159340 )
*51 Mr Denis MacShane (Rotherham): To ask the President of the Council, what proposals she has to speed up voting procedures in the House.
( 159341 )
*52 Mr Ben Chapman (Wirral South): To ask the President of the Council, if she will make a statement on the role of the Ministerial Sub Committee on Health Strategy.
( 159342 )
*53 Mr Ian Bruce (South Dorset): To ask the President of the Council, when she expects to implement the SSRB proposals on information technology facilities for honourable Members.
( 159343 )

At 3.30 p.m.Private Notice Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Ten minute rule Motion

  1   

DISCRIMINATION AGAINST OLDER PEOPLE        [Up to 20 minutes]

Mr Roger Berry

        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to make discrimination against older people unlawful; to provide for the creation of an Age Discrimination Council; and for connected purposes.

        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).


Main Business

+  2   

FINANCE BILL [WAYS AND MEANS]         [Up to 45 minutes]

Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer

Limited liability partnerships

        That provision may be made in the Finance Bill about limited liability partnerships.

        The Speaker will put the Question not later than 45 minutes after proceedings begin (Standing Order No. 52(1)(b)).

+  3   

PRIVATE SECURITY INDUSTRY BILL [LORDS]: As amended in the Standing Committee, to be considered.        [Until 10.00 p.m.]

For Amendments, see separate Paper.

Third Reading will also be taken.

        Proceedings on consideration will be brought to a conclusion at 9.00 p.m. and proceedings on Third Reading will be brought to a conclusion at 10.00 p.m., if not previously concluded (Order of 28th March).

+  4   

ASYLUM        [No debate]

Mrs Barbara Roche

        That this House takes note of European Union Document No. 13119/00, a Commission Communication on a Common Asylum Procedure and Uniform Status for Persons Granted Asylum; and supports the Government's active participation in the debate on the Communication and the Government's intention to participate in measures which would lead to the establishment of a common European asylum system, without undermining the integrity of the UK's frontier control.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 119(9)).

+  5   

FINANCIAL SERVICES        [No debate]

Miss Melanie Johnson

        That the Financial Services Act 1986 (Extension of Scope of Act and Meaning of Collective Investment Scheme) Order 2001 (S.I., 2001, No. 1421), dated 10th April 2001, a copy of which was laid before this House on 10th April, be approved.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).

At the end of the sitting:

  6   

ADJOURNMENT

        Proposed subject: Services for people with dyslexia (Jane Griffiths).

        Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).


COMMITTEE MEETINGS

STANDING COMMITTEES

1Rating (Former Agricultural Premises and Rural Shops) Bill Programming Sub-Committee (of Standing Committee B) 10.00 a.m. Room 7 (private)
2Standing Committee A10.30 a.m.
4.30 p.m.
Room 10 (public)
(public)
Further to consider the Finance Bill (Except Clauses 1 to 3 and 16 to 53 and Schedules 4 to 11).
3Standing Committee B10.30 a.m. Room 11 (public)
To consider the Rating (Former Agricultural Premises and Rural Shops) Bill.
4First Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation4.30 p.m. Room 9 (public)
To consider the Community Legal Service (Funding) (Counsel in Family Proceedings) Order 2001 (S.I., 2000, No. 1077).
5Fourth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation4.30 p.m. Room 12 (public)
To consider the Education (Student Support) Regulations 2001 (S.I., 2001, No. 951), the Education Standards Fund (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2001, (S.I., 2001, No. 826), and the Financing of Maintained Schools (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2001 (S.I., 2001, No. 907).

SELECT COMMITTEES

6Adoption and Children Bill10.00 a.m.


10.30 a.m.
The Wilson Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Adoption and Children Bill.
Witnesses: The Adoption Forum; National Foster Care Association; Adoption UK; National Organisation for Counselling Adoptees and Parents (NORCAP); and Families Need Fathers.
7Foreign Affairs10.00 a.m. Room 16 (private)
8Standards and Privileges10.30 a.m. Room 13 (private)
9Welsh Affairs2.00 p.m. Room 17 (private)
10Statutory InstrumentsImmediately after the meeting of the Joint Committee on Statutory InstrumentsRoom 7 (private)

JOINT COMMITTEE

11Statutory Instruments4.15 p.m. Room 7 (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]


 

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2001
Prepared 8 May 2001