Previous Section Index Home Page

Magistrates Courts (Liverpool)

Mr. Kilfoyle: To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department how much will be spent on new magistrates courts in Liverpool in the next two financial years. [145222]

Mr. Lock: The provision of a new magistrates court in Liverpool forms part of a proposed Private Finance Initiative project to provide serviced accommodation for the Merseyside magistrates courts committee. Expenditure in the next two financial years will be limited to advisers' fees and is not expected to exceed £800,000.

Mr. Kilfoyle: To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department what the total cost was of Liverpool magistrates court in each year from 1992 to 2000. [145241]

Jane Kennedy: The Lord Chancellor's Department provides separate grants for revenue and capital (buildings and IT) to local authorities for magistrates courts costs. Grant is paid at 80 per cent. of expenditure/costs of scheme or item, with the remaining 20 per cent. met by local authorities.

The total cost (revenue and capital grant) of Liverpool magistrates courts committee by financial year is:

£ million

(29) Liverpool magistrates courts committee was amalgamated with four other local committees to form Merseyside magistrates courts committee in April 1999. Information about Liverpool magistrates court is not now collected. The cost figures quoted for Liverpool since 1999-2000 therefore represent all the courts in Merseyside.

(30) The 2000-01 figure is an estimate, as revenue grant costs will not be certain until the end of this financial year.

16 Jan 2001 : Column: 221W