Letter to Mr John McLaren from the Parliamentary
Commissioner for Standards
You may be aware that I am carrying out an enquiry
into allegations that during the period June 1998-end of May 1999
when Chris Winslow was employed as a researcher on Westminster
allowance he was deployed for some of that time on the Labour
Party`s Scottish election campaign. I would be grateful to receive
information from you about his employment, either in writing or
on the telephone.
Please would you let me know
1. What the employment arrangements were for
Chris Winslow during the time you were his line manager, including
who employed him, what his hours were and whether he worked longer
hours than his contracted hours for any period.
2. Whether you were aware that Westminster allowance
employment might be being used for party political work.
3. The hours he worked on average during the
4. Whether his employment arrangements were changed
at any time and, if so, why.
5. The basis on which he was paid a bonus and
the bonus paid.
6. How his employment arrangements during the
campaign affected his employment in his new role as special adviser.
7. Any other information which would give me
a complete picture to allow my report to the Standards and Privileges
Committee to be accurate.
May I thank you in advance for your help.
10 April 2000