Response of the Rt Hon Dr John Reid MP
to Complaint received from the Parliamentary Commissioner for
Standards dated 27 January 2000 and Questions put to Dr Reid by
the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards dated 19 May 2000
The PCS may consider in assessing the creditability
and reliability of the complainer and the four persons whose interviews
may conflict with Dr Reid`s denial of the complaint the following
1. Has Mr Nelson been involved in pursuing Dr
Reid and Kevin Reid in other matters and if so with what result?
2. Does Mr Nelson accept the Inquiry into Children`s
Homes in South Wales made criticism of certain accusations he
made in connection with lack of evidence? (Material sent to PCS)
3. Does Mr Rowley regard Dr Reid as in part responsible
for his departure from the position of General Secretary of the
Scottish Labour Party?
4. Has Mr Rafferty criticised or evinced ill
will towards Dr Reid? What accounts for the change of position
by Mr Rafferty on 6 April 2000?
5. What were the circumstances of Mr Rafferty
leaving his position with the First Minster of the Scottish Parliament?
Were issues of veracity involved?
6. Why does Mr McKinney according at least to
the material provided by Mr Nelson display personal animosity
towards Dr Reid?
7. What were the circumstances of Mr McKinney
abruptly leaving his employment with the Scottish Labour Party?
8. What were the circumstances of Mr Sullivan
leaving his employment with the Scottish Labour Party? What is
Mr Sullivan`s relationship to Mr Rowley?
9. Do any of the foregoing questions suggest
any impact on the reported "loyalties" of Messrs Rowley,
Rafferty or Sullivan?
10. How is that although some 70 people worked
at Delta House during the Scottish election campaign the witnesses
identified as in conflict with Dr Reid`s position came to be selected?
11. Has the PCS considered the possibility of
editing of the transcript or tape recordings by Mr Nelson? (See
note of exchange with Mr Ponsonby in the Annex).
96 Not printed. Back