some default text...
          House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2001- 02
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business 22 October 2002

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for 22 October 2002.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


At 2.30 p.m.      Prayers
Afterwards

Private Business

        Note: Private business is not debated at this time, and may not be proceeded with if opposed.

Third Readings

1.   London Development Agency Bill.

2.   Milford Haven Port Authority Bill [Lords].


Selection: Adjourned Debate on Question [16th October].

        Motion made, and Question proposed, That Mr John Hayes be discharged from the Committee of Selection and Mr Peter Luff be added to the Committee.—(Mr Phil Woolas.)

Afterwards

Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Scotland
*1 Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    If she will make a statement on government support for new business start-ups in Scotland.
( 73572 )
*2 Mr Mark Simmonds (Boston & Skegness):    If she will make a statement on unemployment levels in Scotland.
( 73573 )
*3 Mr David Marshall (Glasgow, Shettleston):    What plans she has to help combat poverty arising from debt in Scotland; and if she will make a statement.
( 73574 )
*4 Gregory Barker (Bexhill & Battle):    If she will make a statement on government support for new business start-ups in Scotland.
( 73575 )
*5 Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    What discussions she has had with the Scottish Executive about reform of the CAP.
( 73577 )
*6 Angus Robertson (Moray):    How many volunteers have been signed up to the Friends of Scotland scheme.
( 73578 )
*7 Mr Ian Liddell-Grainger (Bridgwater):    If she will make a statement on regional airports in Scotland.
( 73579 )
*8 Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    What recent discussions she has had with Secretary of State for Defence on Royal Navy facilities in Scotland.
( 73580 )
*9 Mr Michael Weir (Angus):    What discussions she has had with the Scottish Executive and DEFRA regarding French action in preventing imports of Scottish meat and its effects on the Scottish agriculture industry.
( 73581 )
*10 Mr Russell Brown (Dumfries):    What recent assessment she has made of the number of defence-related jobs in Scotland.
( 73582 )
*11 Miss Anne Begg (Aberdeen South):    What steps she is taking to encourage the take-up of benefits by Scottish pensioners.
( 73583 )
*12 Mr John MacDougall (Central Fife):    If she will make a statement on the introduction of the ferry service from Rosyth to Europe.
( 73585 )
*13 Mr Bill Tynan (Hamilton South):    What action she is taking to consult Scottish business and trade union interests on macro-economic issues relating to pensions.
( 73586 )
*14 Mr John Baron (Billericay):    What discussions she has had with the Department for Trade and Industry and the Department for Work and Pensions regarding the Universal Bank.
( 73587 )
*15 Mr Tam Dalyell (Linlithgow):    What steps she is taking to ensure that the rights of prisoners under Scottish law are considered in the debate on the Future of Europe with reference to the Charter of Fundamental Rights.
( 73588 )
*16 Mr John Taylor (Solihull):    What discussions she has had with the Department for Trade and Industry and the Department for Work and Pensions regarding the Universal Bank.
( 73589 )
*17 Bob Spink (Castle Point):    When she last met the Home Secretary to discuss changes in drug classification and its implications for the Scottish legal framework.
( 73590 )
*18 Mr Tom Harris (Glasgow, Cathcart):    What steps are being taken to ensure the enforcement of the national minimum wage in Scotland.
( 73591 )
*19 Pete Wishart (North Tayside):    When she plans to announce the results of the consultation process on the size of the Scottish Parliament.
( 73592 )
*20 Mr James Wray (Glasgow, Baillieston):    If she will create (a) a child-safeguarding board and (b) multi-agency child safeguarding teams in Scotland to increase the effectiveness of professionals in the field.
( 73593 )
*21 Mr Peter Duncan (Galloway & Upper Nithsdale):    What plans she has to encourage Gaelic broadcasting.
( 73594 )
*22 Mr Bill Wiggin (Leominster):    If she will make a statement on the Scotland Office's role in promoting the shipbuilding industry in Scotland.
( 73595 )
*23 Mr John Lyons (Strathkelvin & Bearsden):    What steps she is taking to intensify the campaign against drugs in Scotland.
( 73596 )

At 2.55 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Advocate General
*24 Mr Tam Dalyell (Linlithgow):    What human rights issues she has dealt with since 9th July.
( 73597 )
*25 Mr Alex Salmond (Banff & Buchan):    What her role has been in the re-opened inquiry into the loss of the fishing boat Trident; and if she will make a statement.
( 73598 )
*26 Annabelle Ewing (Perth):    What devolution issues have been raised with her since 10th July.
( 73599 )
*27 Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    What devolution issues have been raised with her since 9th July under the Scotland Act 1998.
( 73602 )

At 3.00 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department
*28 Mr Graham Allen (Nottingham North):    How many (a) lawyers and (b) others were held to be in contempt of court for delaying court proceedings in the last year for which records are available; and if he will make a statement.
( 73604 )
*29 Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    If he will make a statement on the implications of the Comprehensive Spending Review for the performance of his Department in relation to IT.
( 73605 )
*30 Mr Anthony D. Wright (Great Yarmouth):    What assessment he has made of the adequacy of facilities at child contact centres.
( 73606 )
*31 Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    What representations and submissions his Department has received in response to the Criminal Justice White Paper of July 2002.
( 73607 )
*32 Mr Julian Brazier (Canterbury):    When he last met representatives of the Magistrates' Courts Central Council to discuss the future of magistrates' courts.
( 73608 )
*33 Hugh Bayley (City of York):    What plans the Government has to extend the powers of the Land Registry to adjudicate on cases of dispute of ownership on non-registered land in urban areas.
( 73609 )
*34 Paul Clark (Gillingham):    What steps his Department is taking to alleviate the problems of victims of domestic violence.
( 73610 )
*35 Mr David Lepper (Brighton, Pavilion):    What support his Department offers to voluntary organisations giving assistance to victims of domestic violence.
( 73611 )
*36 Mr Jonathan Djanogly (Huntingdon):    If he will make a statement on the Office for the Supervision of Solicitors.
( 73612 )
*37 Ian Lucas (Wrexham):    What steps he is taking to increase the number of advocates carrying out criminal and legal aid work.
( 73613 )
*38 Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    If he will make a statement about the Office for the Supervision of Solicitors.
( 73614 )
*39 David Cairns (Greenock & Inverclyde):    What role his Department plays in alternative means of dispute resolution.
( 73615 )
*40 Mr Peter Duncan (Galloway & Upper Nithsdale):    When he next expects to meet members of the lay magistracy to discuss the administration of justice following the publication of the Justice for All White Paper.
( 73616 )
*41 Andy Burnham (Leigh):    If he will make a statement on measures his Department is taking to improve the provision of legal aid advice services.
( 73617 )

At 3.15 p.m.
Oral Questions to the President of the Council, the Right honourable Member answering for the House of Commons Commission and the Chairman of the Finance and Services Committee
*42 Helen Jackson (Sheffield, Hillsborough): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has to implement reforms on the sittings of the House.
( 73618 )
*43 Fiona Mactaggart (Slough): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has to make proposals to the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons on the experimental seating arrangements in Westminster Hall.
( 73619 )
*44 Mr Ben Chapman (Wirral South): To ask the President of the Council, if he will make a statement on plans to allow honourable Members to table written questions during the recess.
( 73620 )
*45 Andrew Mackinlay (Thurrock): To ask the President of the Council, what proposals he plans to put to the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House of Commons on improving the system of select committees.
( 73621 )
*46 Ian Lucas (Wrexham): To ask the President of the Council, if he will bring forward proposals to publish lists of speakers in debates.
( 73622 )
*47 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire): To ask the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission, what improvements are planned for Members' access to Information and Communications Technology on the Parliamentary Estate.
( 73623 )
*48 Kevin Brennan (Cardiff West): To ask the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission, if the Commission will take steps to ensure that honourable Members may invite musicians from their constituency to play music in the House.
( 73624 )
*49 Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey): To ask the President of the Council, what plans the Commission has to give honourable Members additional allowances for members staff in order to cope with exceptionally heavy workloads.
( 73625 )
*50 Mr John Lyons (Strathkelvin & Bearsden): To ask the President of the Council, if he will make a statement on House of Lords reform.
( 73626 )
*51 Mr Graham Allen (Nottingham North): To ask the President of the Council, what he is doing to encourage Members to take up the facility to visit EU institutions.
( 73627 )

At 3.30 p.m.Private Notice Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Ten minute rule Motion

  1  

NATIONAL NUTRITION        [Up to 20 minutes]

Ms Oona King

        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to provide for the establishment of a national nutrition strategy; to provide development funding for Primary Care Trusts to address the issue of diet and obesity; to establish a minimum requirement for physical activity in schools; to develop a system of food labelling to enable consumers to identify high-fat foods and total calorie content; and to make it a requirement for health warnings to be displayed on all packaged convenience food with a high-fat or sugar content.

The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).


Main Business

  2  

OPPOSITION DAY        [Until 10.00 p.m.]

  

AFFORDABLE HOUSING

Mr Charles Kennedy
Mr A. J. Beith
Mr Don Foster
Mr Adrian Sanders
Tom Brake
Mr Andrew Stunell

        That this House notes that the current crisis in affordable housing has reached such a level that there is a national need for more than 80,000 new affordable dwellings per annum for the next decade and beyond; regrets the failure of the present Government to take earlier action while welcoming additional funding for that housing announced in the Spending Review 2002 and recent measures to tackle homelessness; and believes that urgent action is needed better to link local and regional planning and housing policies, to bring back into use empty properties, to increase the density of housing developments, to encourage local authorities to implement fully PPG3 and to reform the right to buy to prevent abuses of the system, while resisting the Conservative Opposition's proposals for its extension.

      As Amendments to Mr Charles Kennedy's proposed Motion (Affordable Housing):

Mr Iain Duncan Smith
Mr David Davis
Mr Eric Pickles
Mr Philip Hammond [R]
Mr Geoffrey Clifton-Brown [R]
David Maclean

        Line      4,      leave out from `action' to end and add `to encourage the public and private sector to let the 753,188 empty houses; to promote further private sector investment into affordable houses; to take further measures to promote more building on brownfield land; to strengthen the planning system in relation to PPG3 and affordable housing; to clarify the existing situation relating to planning obligations; to provide more affordable housing for the lower paid; and to extend rather than restrict the right to buy.'.

The Prime Minister
Mr Secretary Prescott
Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer
Mr Robin Cook
Mr Secretary Blunkett
Secretary Margaret Beckett

        Line      1,      leave out from `House' to end and add `welcomes the additional funding for housing announced in the Spending Review 2002 and recent measures to tackle homelessness; and supports the action being taken better to link local and regional planning and housing policies, to bring back into use empty properties, to increase the density of housing developments, to encourage local authorities to implement fully PPG3 and to reform the right to buy to prevent abuses of the system while resisting the Conservative Opposition's proposals for its extension.'.

  

NUCLEAR POWER AND DEVELOPMENT OF A SUSTAINABLE ENERGY MARKET

Mr Charles Kennedy
Mr A. J. Beith
Dr Vincent Cable
Malcolm Bruce
Sir Robert Smith
Mr Andrew Stunell

        That this House notes with concern the decision of the Government to put at risk over £600 million of public funds in order to prevent the bankruptcy of the privatised nuclear power company British Energy; further notes that several competitor companies in the deregulated market also face financial collapse and that some are petitioning for Government assistance; believes that nuclear power has been shown in a competititve market to be uneconomic as well as to generate long-term environmental costs in respect of waste disposal and decommmissioning; further believes that it would be wrong for the Government to continue to bail out British Energy shareholders with a massive unplanned injection of public money or encourage new nuclear power projects; and calls on Her Majesty's Government urgently to bring forward its response to the PIU energy review, with measures to initiate a sustained long-term improvement in energy efficiency and conservation, and to facilitate the more rapid introduction of a variety of new renewable energy technologies as the favoured electricity generating source in the long-term, taking into account the Government's Kyoto targets and the Prime Minister's support for sustainable energy use at Johannesburg.

      As Amendments to Mr Charles Kennedy's proposed Motion (Nuclear Power and Development of a Sustainable Energy Market):

The Prime Minister
Mr Secretary Prescott
Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer
Mr Robin Cook
Secretary Margaret Beckett
Ms Secretary Hewitt

        Line      1,      leave out from 'House' to end and add `welcomes the publication earlier this year of the Performance and Innovation Unit's review of the strategic issues surrounding energy policy for Great Britain up to 2050; welcomes the Government's commitment to publish an Energy White Paper in the New Year setting out a long-term framework for energy policy following its recent extensive and innovative public consultation on energy issues; understands that British Energy's problems, and those of certain other players, are about companies rather than a way of generating electricity and welcomes the speed with which the market can respond to protect the interests of consumers; recognizes that the future of nuclear power in the UK is a question that has to be addressed on its own merits, not in the light of a particular set of circumstances surrounding a particular private sector company; further recognizes that it is not the responsibility of Government to bail out electricity suppliers unless it threatens safety or security of electricity supplies; and welcomes the work Government has done to promote sustainable energy use in terms of energy use reductions and to promote the development of renewable energy.'.

Mr Iain Duncan SmithMr Tim YeoMr Crispin BluntMr Henry BellinghamMr Andrew RobathanDavid Maclean

        Line      1,      leave out from `House' to end and add `recognises that it is the Government's imposition of the Climate Change Levy, insistence on a reprocessing agreement with the publicly-owned British Nuclear Fuels Limited, and failure to set out its policy on energy that have led to many of the financial difficulties of British Energy; calls on the Government to include a Bill establishing the Liabilities Management Authority in the new legislative programme; welcomes the operation of NETA which has brought lower prices to consumers; and calls on the Government to bring forward the publication of the Energy White Paper, setting out its policy on energy, including the role played by nuclear power and renewable sources, to ensure a viable and secure energy market.'.

Mr Simon Thomas
Mr Michael Weir
Mr Alex Salmond
Mr Elfyn Llwyd

        Line      16,      at end add `notes that the Government's targets for renewable energy are inadequate and that both the recent PIU report and the Environmental Audit Committee's report demonstrate that a non-nuclear future is possible; urges the Government to invest in renewable energy and abandon nuclear power; and calls for energy policy to be devolved to the Scottish Parliament and the National Assembly for Wales.'.

        The selection of the matters to be debated this day has been made by the Leader of the Liberal Democrat Party. Standing Order No. 31(2) applies to these proceedings under the Order of 17th October.

Debate may continue until 10.00 p.m.

+  3  

DELEGATED LEGISLATION        [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]

Mr Robin Cook

        That the Countryside (Provisional and Conclusive Maps) (England) Regulations 2002 (S.I., 2002, No. 1710), dated 7th July 2002, be referred to a Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation.

If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.

+  4  

STANDING COMMITTEE ON THE CONVENTION        [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]

Mr Robin Cook

        That the Order [12th June] relating to the Standing Committee on the Convention be amended, in paragraph (4)(b), by leaving out the words `or be counted in the quorum'.

If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.

+  5  

BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE        [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]

Mr Robin Cook

        That, at the sitting on Wednesday 23rd October, opposition business may be proceeded with, notwithstanding paragraph (2)(c)(i) of Standing Order No. 14 (Arrangement of public business), for three hours or until Seven o'clock, whichever is later, and proceedings shall then lapse if not previously concluded.

If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.

At the end of the sitting

  6  

ADJOURNMENT

        Proposed subject: Compensation for Hepatitis C infections via infected blood (Mr Richard Spring).

Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).


COMMITTEES

STANDING COMMITTEES

1Second Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation10.30 a.m.Room 9 (public)
To consider the draft European Communities (Definition of Treaties) (Stabilisation and Association Agreement between the European Communities and their Member States, and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) Order 2002.
2Third Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation4.30 p.m.Room 9 (public)
To consider the Merchant Shipping (Safety of Navigation) Regulations 2002 (S.I., 2002, No. 1473).

SELECT COMMITTEES

3Regulatory Reform9.30 a.m.Room 19 (private)
4Office of the Deputy Prime Minister: Housing, Planning, Local Government and the Regions9.45 a.m.
10.00 a.m.
Room 8 (private)
(public)
Subject: Affordable Housing.
Witnesses: Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE); The Peabody Trust, South East England Development Agency, South East Regional Assembly, Chartered Institute of Housing, National Housing Federation, ODPM's Affordable Housing Unit.
5Environment, Food and Rural Affairs: Reform of the Common Fisheries Policy Sub-Committee10.00 a.m.


10.05 a.m.
The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Reform of the Common Fisheries Policy.
Witnesses: Joint Nature Conservation Committee; Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.
6Foreign Affairs10.00 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
Subject: Biological Weapons Green Paper.
Witnesses: Mr Tim Dowse, Head, and Mr Patrick Lamb, Deputy Head, Non Proliferation Department, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
7Treasury10.00 a.m.


10.30 a.m.
The Wilson Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Split Capital Investment Trusts.
Witnesses: Mr Stephen Alexander, Class Law; Mr John Tiner, Managing Director, Consumers Investments and Insurance Directorate, Financial Services Authority and Mr Walter Merricks, Chief Ombudsman, Financial Ombudsman Service (at approximately 11.30 a.m.).
8Home Affairs10.15 a.m.Room 6 (private)
9Standards & Privileges10.30 a.m.Room 13 (private)
10Environment, Food and Rural Affairs4.00 p.m.The Thatcher Room, Portcullis House (private)
11Procedure4.00 p.m.Room 8 (private)
12Statutory InstrumentsImmediately after the JCSI meetingRoom 7 (private)

JOINT COMMITTEES

13Statutory Instruments4.15 p.m.Room 7 (private)
14Human Rights4.30 p.m.Room 3A (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]

 
 

Written Questions tabled on Monday 21st October for answer today++

1 Mrs Jackie Lawrence (Preseli, Pembrokeshire): To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer what the outcome was of the ECOFIN Council held on 8th October; what the Government's stance was on the issues discussed, including its voting record; and if he will make a statement.
( 76605 )
2 Mr Lindsay Hoyle (Chorley): To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what operational targets she has set for the Small Business Service for 2002-03.
( 76733 )
3 Mr Lindsay Hoyle (Chorley): To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, when Energywatch's Report and Account for November 2001 to March 2002 will be laid before Parliament.
( 76734 )
4 Mr Lindsay Hoyle (Chorley): To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what the next steps are in implementing the equal treatment Directives 2000/43/EC and 2000/78/EC adopted in 2000 under Article 13 of the EC Treaty; and what progress has been made in taking forward the Government's review of the long term arrangements for offering advice, support and guidance on equality matters announced on 15th May.
( 76735 )
5 Mr Lindsay Hoyle (Chorley): To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what progress has been made on Government action to help close the pay gap between men and women.
( 76736 )
6 Margaret Moran (Luton South): To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what plans the Government has for the provision of forensic pathology services in England and Wales.
( 76737 )
7 Kali Mountford (Colne Valley): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if he will make a statement about the inspection report of the Benefit Fraud Inspectorate in respect of (a) the London Borough of Enfield and (b) Wakefield Metropolitan District Council.
( 76865 )
8 Lawrie Quinn (Scarborough & Whitby): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if he will make a statement about the inspection report of the Benefit Fraud Inspectorate in respect of (a) Babergh and (b) Swale district councils.
( 76866 )
9 Mr Dave Watts (St Helens North): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if he will make a statement about the inspection report of the Benefit Fraud Inspectorate in respect of (a) Erewash Borough Council, (b) East Dumbartonshire Council and (c) St. Helens Metropolitan Borough Council.
( 76867 )
10 Mr Tony McWalter (Hemel Hempstead): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, when he will lay regulations on the control of asbestos in the workplace.
( 76868 )
11 Paul Goggins (Wythenshawe & Sale East): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what plans he has to extend joint claims for jobseeker's allowance to childless partners of unemployed people who are aged 45 or under.
( 76869 )
12 Paddy Tipping (Sherwood): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if he will make a statement about the inspection report of the Benefit Fraud Inspectorate in respect of (a) North Ayrshire Council, (b) Calderdale Metropolitan Borough Council and (c) the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames.
( 76870 )
13 Paul Goggins (Wythenshawe & Sale East): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if he will make a statement about the inspection report of the Benefit Fraud Inspectorate in respect of Cherwell District Council.
( 76871 )



 

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2002
Prepared 22 October 2002