|Previous Section||Index||Home Page|
Mr. Lammy: Data collected by the Department in 1999 show that all national health service staff in the hospital sector have access to occupational health services. In 60 per cent. of NHS trusts these services are provided in house, while the other 40 per cent. buy in services from neighbouring NHS organisations. The NHS Plan announced a further £21 million of funding for the extension of occupational health services to general practitioners and their staff.
In order to address this the Department has issued service delivery standards for occupational health as part of the improving working lives standard. The effective management of occupational health and safety services in the NHS was issued in November 2001, and is available in the Library. The Department is currently working with occupational health providers on further standards related to pre-appointment checks.
27 Jun 2002 : Column 1089W
executive has signed a declaration that services to staff are already of an adequate standard and will not be affected by implementing NHS Plus. A percentage of income generated through NHS Plus is reinvested in improving occupational health services to NHS staff.
Mr. Lammy: We will announce allocations to primary care trusts for the three years 200304, 200405 and 200506 in the autumn. Our aim is to move primary care trusts towards their fair shares determined by the weighted capitation formula as quickly as practicable.
Mr. Norman: To ask the Secretary of State for Health when he will reply to the letter from the hon. Member for Tunbridge Wells, of 2 May requesting a meeting to discuss the MRI scanner facilities at the Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS trust. 
Ms Blears: Information on delayed discharges is collected at health authority rather than constituency level. All available information has been placed in the Library. Figures for Quarter 4 of 200102 show that the former Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and South East Hampshire health authority area had 97 delayed discharges.
The Government recognise that delayed discharges are a problem across the south-east. Health and local authorities are working together to take action to improve the situation. In October 2001 the Government announced an extra £300 million in the "Cash for Change" initiative to tackle bed blocking in 200102 and 200203. Last year Hampshire received over £2 million, this year over £5 million.
27 Jun 2002 : Column 1090W
Mr. Lammy: The national health service appointments commission is responsible for non-executive appointments to the boards of primary care trusts (PCTs). PCT boards are themselves now responsible, within certain limits, for determining their complement of non-executive members. As a result, the chief executive of the appointments commission wrote to all PCT chairs on 14 June to establish the planned size of their board for 2002 and the number of new non-executives they would like the commission to recruit to fill the vacancies. Responses have been requested by 30 July.
Mr. Laurence Robertson: To ask the Secretary of State for Health (1) what funding the Government are making available to provide specialist nurses to treat Parkinson's disease in (a) England and (b) Gloucestershire; and if he will make a statement; 
Jacqui Smith: We do not hold information centrally on the skills profile of nurses at either a local or national level. We understand from the Parkinson's Disease Society however, that there are currently 134 of these nurses in post.
Funding is allocated to health authorities so that they can take decisions about the staff and services they need to provide to meet the health needs of their local populations. Funds are not earmarked centrally to support the funding of particular staff groups.
Jacqui Smith: The table shows the average cost per person per week of residential and nursing care for 200001 broken down by local authority in England as reported by councils to the Department. Information on unit costs by client group is available on the key indicators graphical system, a copy of which is available in the Library.
27 Jun 2002 : Column 1091W
|Residential care||Nursing care|
|Barking and Dagenham|||||
|Bath and North East Somerset||412||350|
|Blackburn with Darwen||291||357|
|Brighton and Hove||482||362|
|City of London||561||566|
|East Riding of Yorkshire||260||430|
|Hammersmith and Fulham||560||499|
|Isle of Wight||292||352|
|Isles of Scilly|||||
|Kensington and Chelsea||583||565|
|Kingston upon Hull||341||336|
|Kingston upon Thames||546||442|
|Newcastle upon Tyne||307||342|
|North East Lincolnshire||320||230|
|Redcar and Cleveland|||||
|Richmond upon Thames||591||463|
|Telford and Wrekin||309||333|
|Windsor and Maidenhead||565||423|
27 Jun 2002 : Column 1093W
|Next Section||Index||Home Page|