Register of Interests of Members' Secretaries and Research Assistants Contents


Purpose and Form of the Register

In accordance with a Resolution made by the House of Commons on 17 December 1985, holders of photo-identity passes as Members' secretaries or research assistants are required to register:

           '1.  Any OCCUPATION OR EMPLOYMENT for which you receive over £275 from the same source in the course of a calendar year, if that occupation or employment is in any way advantaged by the privileged access to Parliament afforded by your pass. You must register your sponsor's name below but there is no need to register your employment by any other Member of either House. If stating that you work for a consultancy organisation from which you receive over £275 in the course of a calendar year, name that organisation and any of its clients for whom you personally provide a service.
           2.  You must also register any tangible GIFT (eg. glassware) or ANY OTHER BENEFIT (eg. hospitality, services or facilities provided) that you receive, if the value of the gift or benefit exceeds £275 and relates in any way to your work in Parliament. The same financial threshold and guidance applies to gifts and benefits you receive in connection with any visits you make within the UK or overseas. Certain overseas visits (and therefore gifts and benefits related to them) are exempt from registration, mainly those paid for from United Kingdom public funds and those made under the auspices of an international organisation to which the UK belongs. Also exempt are any UK visits (eg site visits, attendance at conferences) where the organiser meets reasonable travel costs and subsistence only.
           Bear in mind that multiple payments, gifts or benefits received from the same source are registrable if, cumulatively, their value exceeds £275 in a calendar year (even if individually one or more is worth less than £275). There is no need to state the monetary value of any remuneration, gift or benefit you receive.'

Regarding the form of the Register, in Section 1 entries are listed alphabetically according to the staff member's surname. Section 2 contains exactly the same information but entries are listed according to the sponsoring Member's name.

Administration and Inspection of the Register

The Register is compiled and maintained by the Office of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards (tel: 020 7219 0401). Anyone whose details are entered on the Register is required to notify that office of any change in their registrable interests within 28 days of such a change arising.

The Register is usually updated and published each month (except during months when the House is not sitting). It is not printed by The Stationery Office and is not available in bookshops, but a copy of the most recent edition is put:

Changes to the rules governing the Register are determined by the Committee on Standards and Privileges, although where such changes are substantial they are put by the Committee to the House for approval before being implemented.


Any suggestion that the requirement to register has not been met in a particular case should be made in writing to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards, House of Commons, London SW1A OAA.

In minor cases of infringement, the Commissioner may, at his discretion, apply the rectification procedure. Under this, a late entry is printed in bold italics in the Register for 12 months from its first appearing. More major cases may be the subject of formal investigation and will be reported to the Committee on Standards and Privileges.

previous page contents next page

House of Commons home page Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries

© Parliamentary copyright 2002
Prepared 7 November 2002