The Committee on Standards and Privileges
has agreed to the following Report:
COMPLAINTS AGAINST MR NIGEL GRIFFITHS
1. We have considered a memorandum by the Parliamentary
Commissioner for Standards relating to the complaints by Mrs Jacqui
Lait, Member for Beckenham, and Pete Wishart, Member for North
Tayside, against Mr Nigel Griffiths, Member for Edinburgh South.
The Commissioner's memorandum is appended to this Report.
2. We agree that Mr Griffiths used his constituency
office for party political purposes without informing the Fees
3. Mr Griffiths did not explicitly reimburse the
Fees Office for the party political use of his constituency office.
Mr Griffiths's claims against the Office Costs Allowance were
technically defective but we are satisfied that this did not mean
he received from public funds more than that to which he was entitled.
4. We agree with the Commissioner that Mr Griffiths
ought to have registered the property he used as his constituency
office. He has now done so.
5. The Commissioner considered the complaint that
Mr Griffiths had misused House of Commons allowances. At the time
of the alleged break of the rules by Mr Griffiths there was no
rule prohibiting Members from claiming rent from the Office Costs
Allowance for property they owned. Mr Griffiths was therefore
free to do as he wished with the rental income he received.
6. We recommend that no further action be taken.