Select Committee on Standards and Privileges Seventh Report

Annex J

Letter to the Registrar of Members' Interests

from Mr Nigel Griffiths MP

I am writing to seek your guidance. In 1997 I purchased an office at 31 Minto Street as a base for my constituency office on one of Edinburgh's busiest bus routes in the constituency. The purchase was registered in my name and available publicly as is required the law in Scotland.

The House of Commons has been paying me a commercial rent.

Is there a requirement to register this as an interest, and if so, in what form?

Since 1999, my local Member of the Scottish Parliament has been paying me the equivalent of approximately £1,200 per year in return for displaying details of his surgeries and activities, a telephone for his exclusive use and storage space. I also have received occasional payments of small sums when a room is used by local trade union committees.

Again, I welcome your guidance on whether there is a requirement to register these, and if so, in what form?

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me on ***.

Thank you for giving this matter your attention.

8 December 2001

previous page contents next page

House of Commons home page Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2002
Prepared 13 February 2002