House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2002 - 03
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business 19 November 2002

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for 19 November 2002.

* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.

At 2.30 p.m.      Prayers
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Transport
*1 Mr Henry Bellingham (North West Norfolk):    When he next expects to meet representatives of the Health and Safety Executive to discuss progress on the report on the Potters Bar rail crash.
( 81309 )
*2 Malcolm Bruce (Gordon):    What plans he has to publish the Aviation White Paper.
( 81310 )
*3 Mr Bill Tynan (Hamilton South):    What discussions he has had with the Scottish Executive regarding the future development of airports in Scotland.
( 81311 )
*4 Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    How many meetings he has had since he took office with train operating companies about train performance.
( 81444 )
*5 Clive Efford (Eltham):    If he will make a statement on the ability of the DVLA to provide adequate information to support congestion charging and parking enforcement.
( 81312 )
*6 Patsy Calton (Cheadle):    What recent discussions he has had with the Treasury regarding the financing of transport projects in the United Kingdom.
( 81313 )
*7 Tom Cox (Tooting):    How many crimes have been committed on the London Underground in each of the last three years.
( 81329 )
*8 Judy Mallaber (Amber Valley):    If he will make a statement on the progress of bus quality partnerships.
( 81330 )
*9 Richard Burden (Birmingham, Northfield):    If he will make a statement on the options for the development of air services in the Midlands.
( 81331 )
*10 Paul Farrelly (Newcastle-under-Lyme):    What grants and assistance have been given to North Staffordshire for the improvement of transport infrastructure since 1997.
( 81332 )
*11 Mr Simon Burns (West Chelmsford):    When he expects work to commence on strengthening Widford Bridge in Chelmsford.
( 81333 )
*12 Michael Fabricant (Lichfield):    When the toll structure for the M6 Toll Road will be announced; and if he will make a statement.
( 81334 )
*13 Helen Southworth (Warrington South):    What steps he is taking to encourage people to use bus services.
( 81335 )
*14 Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    What his policy is to protect transport users during industrial action by firefighters.
( 81336 )
*15 Linda Perham (Ilford North):    What recent representations he has received regarding the financing of the East London Crossrail project.
( 81337 )
*16 Mr Tony Lloyd (Manchester Central):    What discussions he has had with the Strategic Rail Authority about train congestion at Piccadilly Station in Manchester.
( 81338 )
*17 Norman Baker (Lewes):    What recent assessment he has made of the advantages of reopening the Lewes-Uckfield railway line.
( 81339 )
*18 Julia Drown (South Swindon):    What steps are being taken to encourage joint ticketing and timetabling of bus companies.
( 81340 )
*19 Phil Sawford (Kettering):    When he expects the A6 Romwell/Desborough bypass to be completed.
( 81341 )
*20 Mr Ben Chapman (Wirral South):    What he is doing to encourage greater use of cycling helmets.
( 81342 )
*21 Dr Evan Harris (Oxford West & Abingdon):    What plans he has for the re-surfacing of the A34 between Wendlebury and Peartree in Oxfordshire.
( 81343 )
*22 Dr John Pugh (Southport):    What representations his Department has received about the upgrading of the Liverpool-Euston line.
( 81344 )
*23 Mr Mark Hoban (Fareham):    How many meetings he has had since 1st January with train operating companies about train performance.
( 81345 )
*24 Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North):    If he will make a statement on the total level of public subsidy to rail services in the UK in the last financial year.
( 81346 )
*25 Mr Andrew Robathan (Blaby):    What discussions he has had with the Environment Agency on consequences involving flooding if a new airport were to be built on the proposed site near Rugby.
( 81347 )
*26 Mrs Anne Campbell (Cambridge):    What recent discussions he has had with the Strategic Rail Authority about poor service from the train operating companies.
( 81348 )
*27 Alan Simpson (Nottingham South):    If he will make a statement on the level of public subsidy to Railtrack and other train operators in the period since rail privatisation.
( 81349 )
*28 Helen Jackson (Sheffield, Hillsborough):    What progress he is making on integrating timetables and ticketing of public transport.
( 81350 )
*29 Andy Burnham (Leigh):    What assessment his Department has made of the quality and coverage of rail services in the North West.
( 81351 )
*30 Mr Tony McWalter (Hemel Hempstead):    What plans he has to upgrade the M10 to provide a full motorway link to the A1(M).
( 81352 )
*31 Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight):    How many meetings he has had with passengers' interest groups about the Ten Year Plan.
( 81353 )
*32 Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey):    If he will make a statement on his plans for traffic reduction.
( 81354 )
*33 Mr Hugo Swire (East Devon):    How many meetings he has had with passengers' interest groups about the Ten Year Plan.
( 81355 )
*34 Mr Harry Barnes (North East Derbyshire):    What assessment he has made of the standard of bus services provided by Stagecoach.
( 81356 )
*35 Mr Mark Prisk (Hertford & Stortford):    What representations he has received concerning airport expansion in the South East.
( 81357 )

At 3.20 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Minister for the Cabinet Office
*36 Ann Coffey (Stockport):    What assessment he has made of the outcomes resulting from the recent summit on the delivery of e-government.
( 81358 )
*37 Mr Chris Pond (Gravesham):    If he will make a statement on progress in recruiting people from ethnic minorities into the civil service.
( 81359 )
*38 Norman Baker (Lewes):    What plans he has to amend the Ministerial Code of Conduct.
( 81360 )
*39 Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    What steps he is taking to ensure equality of opportunity in recruitment to the Civil Service.
( 81362 )
*40 Mr Anthony Steen (Totnes):    How many business leaders he has met in the last six months to discuss the Government's better regulation agenda.
( 81363 )
*41 Mr Chris Bryant (Rhondda):    How often he meets the Government's e-envoy to review the progess towards compatibility of information systems across government.
( 81364 )
*42 Fiona Mactaggart (Slough):    What actions he is taking to improve the delivery of public services.
( 81365 )
*43 Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East):    What guidance he has given to Government departments to safeguard sensitive documents in their offices.
( 81366 )
*44 Ms Dari Taylor (Stockton South):    What progress has been made by his Department in encouraging the number of women seeking public appointments.
( 81367 )

At 3.30 p.m.Urgent Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Notice of Presentation of Bill

+  1  

COMMUNICATIONS        [No debate]

      Secretary Tessa Jowell
        Bill to confer functions on the Office of Communications; to make provision about the regulation of the provision of electronic communications networks and services and of the use of the electro-magnetic spectrum; to make provision about the regulation of broadcasting and of the provision of television and radio services; to make provision about newspaper mergers and, in that connection, to amend the Enterprise Act 2002; and for connected purposes.

Formal first reading: no debate or decision.

Main Business

+  2  

QUEEN'S SPEECH (MOTION FOR AN ADDRESS): Adjourned Debate on Question (13th November).        [Until 10.00 p.m.]

        Motion made, and Question proposed, That an humble Address be presented to Her Majesty, as follows:

        Most Gracious Sovereign,

        We, Your Majesty's dutiful and loyal subjects, the Commons of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, in Parliament assembled, beg leave to offer our humble thanks to Your Majesty for the Gracious Speech which Your Majesty has addressed to both Houses of Parliament—(Mr George Foulkes).

      Mr Alex Salmond
      Mr Elfyn Llwyd
      Mr Michael Weir
      Mr Simon Thomas
      Pete Wishart
      Hywel Williams
            As an Amendment to the Address, at end add—
        `But humbly regret that the Gracious Speech contains no proposals to help the struggling agriculture, manufacturing, fishing and North Sea industries; fails to provide any further transfer of powers to Wales and Scotland; and does not provide an adequate platform for the Scottish Parliament and National Assembly for Wales to tackle the pressing issues and problems of these nations.'.

      Mr Iain Duncan Smith
      Mr David Davis
      Mr David Willetts
      Dr Liam Fox
      Mr John Whittingdale
      David Maclean
            As an Amendment to the Address, at end add—
        `But humbly regrets the absence of a Bill to ensure the impartiality of the Civil Service; and further regrets the centralising nature of measures on regional and local government, housing and planning; notes the absence of measures to end insecurity in old age with no Bill to abolish the annuity rule or tackle the crisis in the pension system; further regrets that the Gracious Speech contains no measures to deliver a health service in which no patient is left waiting, but seeks unfairly to charge local authorities for bed-blocking in hospitals, and to grant foundation status only to a small number of hospitals; is concerned at the failure to reduce the burden of regulation on business and to tackle the crisis in the rural economy; welcomes the Bill to create a Railway Accident Investigation Branch, along lines recommended by Her Majesty's Official Opposition, but condemns the failure to address the worsening transport crisis or to improve conditions for passengers, motorists and businesses; and further regrets the failure to give more control over schools to parents and governors, to restore teacher morale, and to improve confidence in the examination system and universities.'.

        Proposed subjects for debate: Regional and Local Government, Transport and Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

Debate may continue until 10.00 p.m.

+  3  

PROCEDURE        [No debate after 10.00 p.m.]

      Mr Keith Hill
        That Ms Meg Munn be discharged from the Procedure Committee and Mr Tony McWalter be added.

If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 10.00 p.m.

At the end of the sitting



        Proposed subject: Immigration control—the case of Madeline Effala (Miss Ann Widdecombe).

Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).



1First Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation4.30 p.m.Room 11 (public)
To consider the draft Functions of Traffic Wardens (Amendment) Order 2002.


2Regulatory Reform9.30 a.m.Room 19 (private)
3Trade and Industry9.30 a.m.

10.15 a.m.
The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
Subject: Biotechnology.
Witnesses: Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry; Dr Greg Winter, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge (at approximately 10.55 a.m.); Dr Jeff Skinner, UCL Ventures and Dr Ederyn Williams, Warwick Ventures (at approximately 11.35 a.m.).
4Treasury10.00 a.m.The Wilson Room, Portcullis House (private)
5Home Affairs10.15 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 8 (private)
Subject: Criminal Justice and Sentencing Bill.
Witnesses: Roger Smith, Director, and Peter Binning, Solicitor, JUSTICE, Mr Rodney Warren, Solicitor, The Law Society, and Mr Peter Rook QC, Chairman, The Criminal Bar Association.
6Culture, Media and Sport10.30 a.m.

10.45 a.m.
The Thatcher Room, Portcullis House (private)
Subject: Tourism.
Witnesses: Tourism Alliance; Rt Hon. Tessa Jowell MP, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, and Dr Kim Howells MP, Minister for Tourism, Department for Culture, Media and Sport (at approximately 12 noon).
7International Development10.30 a.m.
11.00 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
Subject: Afghanistan: the transition from humanitarian relief to reconstruction and development assistance.
Witnesses: Mr Chris Austin, Head, Western Asia Department, Department for International Development, and Ms Jan Thompson, Head of Afghanistan Unit, and Mr Tom Phillips, UK Special Representative for Afghanistan, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
8Standards and Privileges10.30 a.m.Room 13 (private)
9Welsh Affairs10.30 a.m.Room 18 (private)
10Administration4.30 p.m.Room 18 (private)
11Statutory InstrumentsImmediately after the JCSI meetingRoom 7 (private)


12Statutory Instruments4.15 p.m.Room 7 (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]

Written Ministerial Statements to be made today Deputy Prime Minister:      
Treatment under the Political Parties Elections and Referendums Act 2000 of paid time off granted by employers to councillors to undertake council duties.Minister of State, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister:      Sharing of council tax information on empty homes.Minister of State, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister:      Council tax discounts.Secretary of State for Education and Skills:      The launch of Success for All Strategy for Reforming Further Education and Training.Under Secretary of State, Ministry of Defence:      Medical Manning and Retention Review.Secretary of State for Work and Pensions:      Benefits uprating.


Private Members' Bills

     The Speaker has appointed 10.00 a.m. and Committee Room 10 as the time and place for holding the Ballot for Private Members' Bills on Thursday 21st November.


House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2002
Prepared 19 November 2002