House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2002 - 03
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business 24 June 2003

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for 24 June 2003.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


At 11.30 a.m.      Prayers
Afterwards

Private Business

        Note: Private business is not debated at this time, and may not be proceeded with if opposed.

Further Consideration of Bill, as amended

Mersey Tunnels Bill. (By Order.)

      Mr Ben Chapman
      Stephen Hesford
      Mr Andrew Miller
        On further Consideration of the Mersey Tunnels Bill, as amended, to move, That the Bill be further considered upon this day six months.

[For Amendments, see pp. 127 to 132 of the Notice Paper relating to Private Business]


Afterwards
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Scotland
*1 Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith):    If he will make a statement about his discussions with Scottish business leaders about preparations for the euro.
( 120209 )
*2 Ann McKechin (Glasgow, Maryhill):    What discussions he has had with senior citizen organisations regarding the take-up of the Pension Credit in Scotland.
( 120210 )
*3 Mr George Foulkes (Carrick, Cumnock & Doon Valley):    If he will make a statement on the setting up of the Scottish Committee for euro preparations.
( 120211 )
*4 John Barrett (Edinburgh West):    How many responses the Government has received to the Future of Air Transport—Scotland consultation document.
( 120212 )
*5 Miss Anne Begg (Aberdeen South):    When he last met the Minister for Energy to discuss the implications for Scotland of the Energy White Paper.
( 120213 )
*6 Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    What assessment he has made of the impact on Scottish pensioners and benefit recipients of the exclusion of leading Scottish banks from the Post Office Universal Bank.
( 120214 )
*7 Mr Iain Luke (Dundee East):    What discussions he has had with the First Minister on the establishment of the Scottish Committee for euro preparations.
( 120215 )
*8 Sir Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield):    What assessment he has made of the impact of EU fishing policy on the Scottish fishing industry.
( 120216 )
*9 Mr David Stewart (Inverness East, Nairn & Lochaber):    If he will make a statement on recent discussions he has had on (a) the future level of structural funds in Scotland and (b) how the funds will be distributed.
( 120217 )
*10 Mr Alan Reid (Argyll & Bute):    What recent discussions he has held with Ministerial colleagues regarding (a) post offices and (b) postal services in Scotland.
( 120218 )
*11 Mr Michael Weir (Angus):    What recent discussions he has had with Ministerial colleagues on the Scottish fishing industry.
( 120219 )
*12 Annabelle Ewing (Perth):    How many people in Scotland have experienced delays in receiving the (a) child and (b) working tax credits.
( 120220 )
*13 Eric Joyce (Falkirk West):    If he will make a statement on the composition of the Scottish Committee for euro preparations.
( 120221 )
*14 Rosemary McKenna (Cumbernauld & Kilsyth):    What discussions he has had with Scottish business leaders on the potential benefits for Scottish trade of joining the euro.
( 120222 )
*15 Pete Wishart (North Tayside):    What discussions he has had with the Scottish Executive about the role of central Government in the Holyrood building project.
( 120223 )

At 11.55 a.m.
Oral Questions to the Advocate General for Scotland
*16 Mr Tam Dalyell (Linlithgow):    What human rights issues have been raised with her since 20th May.
( 120183 )
*17 Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    What devolution issues she has considered since 20th May.
( 120225 )
*18 Ann McKechin (Glasgow, Maryhill):    What devolution issues have been raised with her since 20th May under the Scotland Act 1998.
( 120226 )
*19 Annabelle Ewing (Perth):    What devolution issues have been raised since 20th May.
( 120227 )
*20 Mr Michael Weir (Angus):    On how many devolution issues she has advised since 1st June.
( 120228 )
*21 Mr Alan Reid (Argyll & Bute):    What devolution issues she has dealt with since 20th May.
( 120229 )

At 12 noon
Oral Questions to the Parliamentary Secretary, Department for Constitutional Affairs
*22 Mr David Kidney (Stafford):    What recent representations the Department has received in favour of increasing legal aid payment rates for criminal law practitioners.
( 121035 )
*23 Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    If he will make a statement on the Lord Chancellor's responsibilities in relation to criminal justice policy.
( 121036 )
*24 Mr David Amess (Southend West):    What consultations the Department has had on how long the title of Lord Chancellor will remain in existence.
( 121037 )
*25 Bob Russell (Colchester):    If he will make a statement on progress with proposals for a new court house in Colchester.
( 121038 )
*26 Mr Alex Salmond (Banff & Buchan):    What the status is of the Scotland Office within the Department for Constitutional Affairs; and if he will make a statement.
( 121039 )
*27 Mr Clive Soley (Ealing, Acton & Shepherd's Bush):    When the Government will respond to the Second Report from the Joint Committee on House of Lords Reform.
( 121040 )
*28 Mr John Hayes (South Holland & The Deepings):    What the Lord Chancellor's functions are in respect of the appointment of judges.
( 121041 )
*29 Mr Elfyn Llwyd (Meirionnydd Nant Conwy):    What the Secretary of State's responsibilities are in relation to devolution in Wales; and if he will make a statement.
( 121042 )
*30 Mr David Cameron (Witney):    If he will make a statement on the Government's plans for providing for an elected Speaker for the House of Lords.
( 121043 )
*31 Pete Wishart (North Tayside):    If he will make a statement on the Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs' role under the Scotland Act 1998 in relation to elections in Scotland.
( 121044 )
*32 Sir Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield):    If he will make a statement on the Lord Chancellor's responsibilities in relation to judicial appointments.
( 121045 )
*33 Andrew Selous (South West Bedfordshire):    What consultation the Department intends to undertake on the proposals relating to judicial appointments.
( 121046 )
*34 Dr Vincent Cable (Twickenham):    What steps the Lord Chancellor is taking to reduce the cost of contingency fee litigation.
( 121047 )
*35 Bob Spink (Castle Point):    What plans the Lord Chancellor has for the future exercise of his functions relating to the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
( 121048 )
*36 Mr William Cash (Stone):    What the Lord Chancellor's functions are in respect of the appointment of judges.
( 121049 )

At 12.20 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Leader of the House and the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire representing the House of Commons Commission
*37 Sir Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield): To ask the President of the Council, if he will make a statement on progress with the arrangements for programming of bills.
( 121027 )
*38 Mr Graham Allen (Nottingham North): To ask the President of the Council, what discussions he has had with Government departments and others to ensure that all bills in the next session will be available for pre-legislative scrutiny.
( 121029 )
*39 Norman Baker (Lewes): To ask the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission, what steps he is taking to improve the mechanisms for accountability of the Commission to the House.
( 121030 )
*40 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has to widen the standard range of IT equipment made available to honourable Members and their staff in constituency offices.
( 121031 )
*41 Mr Henry Bellingham (North West Norfolk): To ask the President of the Council, what further plans he has for the system of programming of Bills.
( 121032 )
*42 Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey): To ask the President of the Council, what plans he has to bring forward proposals for changes to the arrangements for answering Parliamentary Questions; and if he will make a statement.
( 121034 )

At 12.30 p.m.Urgent Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Ten minute rule Motion

  1  

ROAD SAFETY

[Up to 20 minutes]

      Mr Mark Lazarowicz
        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to provide local traffic authorities with powers to develop urban safety hierarchies; to identify 20mph zones and Home Zones; to require the Secretary of State to issue guidance on the setting of speed limits; and for connected purposes.

        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).


Main Business

+  2  

ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR BILL (PROGRAMME) (No. 2)

[Up to 45 minutes]

      Mr Secretary Blunkett
      Peter Hain
        That the programme order of 8th April 2003 in relation to the Anti-social Behaviour Bill be varied as follows—

Consideration and Third Reading

        1.   Paragraphs 4 and 5 of the order shall be omitted.

        2.   Proceedings on consideration shall be taken in the order shown in the first column of the following Table.

        3.   The proceedings shown in the first column of the Table shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion at the time specified in the second column of the Table.

TABLE
Proceedings Time for conclusion ofproceedings
Amendments to Part 1, New Clauses relating to Part 1, New Schedules relating to Part 1, amendments to Clauses 12 to 14, Schedule 1 and Clauses 15 to 17, New Clauses relating to Part 2, New Schedules relating to Part 2, amendments to Part 3, New Clauses relating to Part 3, New Schedules relating to Part 3.An hour and three quarters after the commencement of proceedings on the Motion for this Order.
Amendments to Part 4, New Clauses relating to Part 4, New Schedules relating to Part 4, amendments to Clauses 36 to 39, Schedule 2 and Clauses 40 and 41, New Clauses relating to Part 5, New Schedules relating to Part 5.Three and a quarter hours after the commencement of proceedings on the Motion for this Order.
Amendments to Part 6, New Clauses relating to Part 6, New Schedules relating to Part 6, amendments to Part 7, New Clauses relating to Part 7, New Schedules relating to Part 7, remaining New Clauses, remaining New Schedules, amendments to Clause 56, Schedule 3 and Clauses 57 to 61, remaining proceedings on the Bill.Five hours after the commencement of proceedings on the Motion for this Order.

        4.   Proceedings on Third Reading shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion six hours after the commencement of proceedings on the Motion for this Order.

        The Speaker will put the Question not later than 45 minutes after proceedings begin (Order A(8) relating to Programming of Bills of 28th June 2001 and 29th October 2002).

+  3  

ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR BILL:      As amended in the Standing Committee, to be considered.

[Up to 6 hours]

For Amendments, see separate Paper.

Third Reading will also be taken.

        Proceedings on consideration shall, so far as not previously concluded, be brought to a conclusion five hours after commencement of proceedings on the Anti-social Behaviour Bill (Programme) (No. 2) Motion and proceedings on Third Reading shall, so far as not previously concluded, be brought to a conclusion six hours after commencement of proceedings on the Anti-social Behaviour Bill (Programme) (No. 2) Motion, if that Motion is agreed to.

+  4  

LICENSING BILL [LORDS] (PROGRAMME) (No. 3)

[No debate]

      Secretary Tessa Jowell
      Peter Hain
        That the following provisions shall apply to the Licensing Bill [Lords] for the purpose of supplementing the Orders of 24th March 2003 and 16th June 2003.

Consideration of Lords Message

        1.   Proceedings on consideration of the Lords Message shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion one hour after their commencement.

        2.   Those proceedings shall be taken in the following order, namely, the Lords Amendment in lieu of Commons Amendment No. 62, the Lords Reasons for disagreeing to Commons Amendments Nos. 6, 15, 16, 20 and 21 and the Lords Amendment in lieu of words left out of the Bill by Commons Amendment No. 50.

Subsequent stages

        3.   Any further message from the Lords may be considered forthwith without any Question put.

        4.   Proceedings on any further Message from the Lords shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion one hour after their commencement.

        To be decided without debate (Orders of 28th June 2001 and 29th October 2002).

+  5  

LICENSING BILL [LORDS]:      Consideration of Lords Amendments and Reasons.

[Up to one hour]

        For Motions and Amendments relating to the Lords Amendments, see separate Paper.

        Proceedings shall, so far as not previously concluded, be brought to a conclusion one hour after their commencement if the Licensing Bill [Lords] (Programme) (No. 3) Motion is agreed to.

At the end of the sitting

  6  

ADJOURNMENT

        Proposed subject: Inland Revenue and self-employment in the construction industry (Mr Alan Hurst).

        Debate may continue until 7.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9 and Order of 29th October 2002).


COMMITTEES

STANDING COMMITTEES

1Welsh Grand Committee8.55 a.m.
2.00 p.m.
Room 14 (public)
(public)
To consider the matter of the Economy in Wales.
2Standing Committee C8.55 a.m.Room 10 (public)
Further to consider the Sustainable Energy Bill.
3Fifth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation9.55 a.m.Room 12 (public)
To consider the Tobacco Products (Description of Products) Order 2003.
4Fourth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation2.30 p.m.Room 11 (public)
To consider the draft Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (Amendment) Regulations 2003.
5Seventh Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation2.30 p.m.Room 12 (public)
To consider the draft Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Financial Promotion) (Amendment) Order 2003, the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Regulated Activities) (Amendment) (No. 1) Order 2003 (S.I., 2003, No. 1475), the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Regulated Activities) (Amendment) (No. 2) Order 2003 (S.I., 2003, No. 1476) and the draft Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Exemption) (Amendment) (No. 2) Order 2003.

SELECT COMMITTEES

6Office of the Deputy Prime Minister: Housing, Planning, Local Government and the Regions9.00 a.m.


9.30 a.m.
The Thatcher Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Draft Housing Bill.
Witnesses: Mr Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP, Shadow Minister for Local Government; Mr Edward Davey MP, Liberal Democrat Shadow Spokesman for the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (at approximately 9.45 a.m.).
7Treasury9.15 a.m.


9.30 a.m.
The Wilson Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Bank of England May 2003 Inflation Report.
Witnesses: Rt Hon Sir Edward George, Governor of the Bank of England, Ms Kate Barker, Mr Charles Bean, Mr Stephen Nickell, and Mr Paul Tucker, Monetary Policy Committee.
8Home Affairs9.30 a.m.Room 8 (private)
9Standards and Privileges9.30 a.m.Room 13 (private)
10Foreign Affairs11.30 a.m.


12.00 noon
The Boothroyd Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: The decision to go to war in Iraq.
Witnesses: Rt Hon Jack Straw MP, Secretary of State and officials, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
11Health: Maternity Services Sub-Committee2.00 p.m.
2.15 p.m.
Room 8 (private)
(public)
Subject: Maternity Services.
Witnesses: Baroness Cumberlege CBE DL, and Dr Stephen Ladyman, Minister of State for Community, Department of Health.
12Culture, Media and Sport2.30 p.m.


2.45 p.m.
The Thatcher Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: British Film Industry.
Witnesses: Channel 4; British Film Institute and Film Archive Forum (at approximately 3.30 p.m.); Film Council (at approximately 4.15 p.m.).
13Foreign Affairs3.00 p.m.


3.15 p.m.
The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: FCO Annual Report 2003.
Witnesses: Sir Michael Jay KCMG, Permanent Under-Secretary of State, Mr Peter Collecott CMG, Director General, Corporate Affairs, Mr Alan Charlton CMG, Director Resources, and Mr Simon Gass CMG CVO, Director Political, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
14Statutory InstrumentsImmediately after the JCSI meetingRoom 7 (private)

JOINT COMMITTEE

15Statutory Instruments4.15 p.m.Room 7 (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]


Written Ministerial Statements to be made today

1    Secretary of State for Northern Ireland:      Progress and Priorities—24th June 2003.
2    Secretary of State for Northern Ireland:      Annual Report and Account of the Insolvency Service for Northern Ireland for year ending 31st March 2002.
3    Secretary of State for Work and Pensions:      Inspection Report of the Benefit Fraud Inspectorate in respect of Crawley Borough Council.
4    Secretary of State for Trade and Industry:      Timetable for the Export Control Act 2002 Secondary Legislation.
5    Secretary of State for Trade and Industry:      Publication of the draft Nuclear Sites and Radioactive Substances Bill.
6    Secretary of State for Transport:      Mobile phones and driving.
7    Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs:      Know Before You Go: Rape and sexual assault overseas.


 

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2003
Prepared 24 June 2003