House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2002 - 03
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business 28th October 2003

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for 28th October 2003.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


At 11.30 a.m.
Afterwards
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Scotland
*1 Mr David Marshall (Glasgow Shettleston):    When he next intends to meet the Scottish Trades Union Congress to discuss the economy in Scotland.
( 133806 )
*2 Mr Bill Tynan (Hamilton South):    What discussions he has had with the Scottish Executive with regard to the use of powers granted by the Fireworks Act 2003.
( 133807 )
*3 Annabelle Ewing (Perth):    What recent discussions he has had with the First Minister concerning student funding in Scotland.
( 133808 )
*4 Mr Alan Reid (Argyll & Bute):    What discussions he has had with (a) the Scottish Executive and (b) the European Commission regarding the implications for subsidised ferry services sailing from ports in Scotland of the recent European Court ruling in the Altmark case; and if he will make a statement.
( 133809 )
*5 Sir Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield):    If he will make a statement on prospects for inward manufacturing investment in Scotland.
( 133810 )
*6 David Cairns (Greenock & Inverclyde):    What recent discussions he has had with ministers in the Scottish Executive concerning the future of the Scottish electronics industry.
( 133811 )
*7 Mr Tom Clarke (Coatbridge & Chryston):    What discussions he has had with the Department of Trade and Industry and the Department for Work and Pensions about assistance for workers in Scotland whose companies are in receivership and whose pension rights might be jeopardised.
( 133813 )
*8 Mr Malcolm Savidge (Aberdeen North):    If he will make a statement on the uptake of Pension Credit in Scotland.
( 133814 )
*9 Jim Sheridan (West Renfrewshire):    What action he is taking to promote Pension Credit uptake in Scotland.
( 133815 )
*10 Rosemary McKenna (Cumbernauld & Kilsyth):    What estimate he has made of the take-up of Pension Credit in Scotland.
( 133816 )
*11 Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    If he will make a statement on proposed changes to the air traffic control infrastructure in Scotland.
( 133817 )
*12 Chris Grayling (Epsom & Ewell):    When he proposes to meet (a) the Treasury and (b) the Scottish Executive to discuss motoring taxation as it affects Scotland.
( 133818 )
*13 Mr Russell Brown (Dumfries):    What discussions he has had with public sector bodies in Dumfries and Galloway about Carlisle airport and a possible financial contribution by them towards the airport's costs.
( 133819 )
*14 Mr Michael Connarty (Falkirk East):    What discussions he has had with the Home Office about the continued use of Dungavel for the detention of asylum seekers' children.
( 133820 )

At 11.55 a.m.
Oral Questions to the Advocate General
*15 Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    What devolution issues she has considered since 9th September.
( 133821 )
*16 Annabelle Ewing (Perth):    What devolution issues have been raised with her since 9th September.
( 133822 )
*17 Mr Alan Reid (Argyll & Bute):    What assessment she has made of the implications for subsidised ferry services sailing to and from ports in Scotland of the recent European Court ruling in the Altmark case.
( 133823 )

At 12 noon
Oral Questions to the Parliamentary Secretary, Department for Constitutional Affairs
*18 Mr Michael Jabez Foster (Hastings & Rye):    If he will make a statement on limiting lawyers' fees in immigration and asylum cases funded by the Legal Services Commission.
( 134513 )
*19 John Barrett (Edinburgh West):    What plans the Department has to hold an all-postal ballot in Scotland for the 2004 European parliamentary elections.
( 134514 )
*20 Dr Doug Naysmith (Bristol North West):    When the Secretary of State intends to complete the review of the not for profit contract issued to organisations offering legal services as part of the Community Legal Service in order to incorporate RPI increases in salary scales; and if he will make a statement.
( 134515 )
*21 Ann Winterton (Congleton):    If he will make a further statement on reform of the House of Lords.
( 134516 )
*22 Kevin Brennan (Cardiff West):    What steps the Secretary of State will take to improve parliamentary scrutiny of the use of the Crown Prerogative.
( 134517 )
*23 Mr Graham Allen (Nottingham North):    What steps the Lord Chancellor is taking to involve honourable Members in the work of local criminal justice boards.
( 134518 )
*24 Ross Cranston (Dudley North):    What recent progress the Lord Chancellor has made in increasing consumer choice in legal services.
( 134519 )
*25 Mr David Kidney (Stafford):    What assessment the Lord Chancellor has made of the effectiveness of community legal service partnerships in promoting increased access to legal advice and assistance.
( 134520 )
*26 Mr Elfyn Llwyd (Meirionnydd Nant Conwy):    How many stipendiary magistrates there are in England and Wales; and what the figure was in 1995.
( 134521 )
*27 Ian Lucas (Wrexham):    If the Secretary of State will bring forward proposals for an indirectly elected second chamber for the UK Parliament.
( 134523 )
*28 Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon):    If he will make a statement on the judges' lodgings system.
( 134524 )
*29 Mr Edward Leigh (Gainsborough):    What progress has been made in (a) improving the payment rate for financial penalties imposed by the courts and (b) implementing the recommendations made by the Committee of Public Accounts in its 68th Report, Session 2001-02, on the collection of fines and other financial penalties in the criminal justice systems.
( 134525 )
*30 Jim Knight (South Dorset):    What progress has been made with putting the Land Registry on-line.
( 134526 )
*31 Tony Lloyd (Manchester Central):    What plans the Lord Chancellor has to amend the workings of the legal aid system.
( 134527 )

At 12.20 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Leader of the House and the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission
*32 Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will bring forward proposals to revert to the previous sitting hours for the House on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
( 134528 )
*33 Chris Bryant (Rhondda): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will bring forward proposals to allow ministers from the House of Lords to answer questions in the Commons.
( 134529 )
*34 Bob Spink (Castle Point): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will take steps to reintroduce the sitting hours of the House for Tuesdays as they were before October 2002.
( 134530 )
*35 Mr Henry Bellingham (North West Norfolk): To ask the Leader of the House, what recent representations he has received regarding the arrangements for the parliamentary term in November.
( 134531 )
*36 Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire): To ask the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission, if he will make a statement on the progress of plans for the establishment of a parliamentary visitors' centre.
( 134532 )
*37 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire): To ask the Leader of the House, what plans he has to bring forward proposals for pre-legislative scrutiny of a draft bill on aviation.
( 134533 )
*38 Kevin Brennan (Cardiff West): To ask the Leader of the House, what proposals he will put before the Select Committee on the Modernisation of the House of Commons on the use of information technology in standing committees.
( 134534 )
*39 Vera Baird (Redcar): To ask the Leader of the House, what criteria he proposes for selecting draft legislation to be subject to pre-legislative scrutiny.
( 134535 )

At 12.30 p.m.Urgent Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Notice of Presentation of Bill

  1  

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000 (COMMENCEMENT)

[No debate]

      Paul Flynn
        Bill to amend the date of commencement of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

                        Formal first reading: no debate or decision.

Ten minute rule Motion

  2  

NON-PRESCRIPTION CONTACT LENSES

[Up to 20 minutes]

      John Robertson
        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to reclassify non-prescription contact lenses as medical devices; and to restrict their sale so that they can only be sold by, or under the supervision of, a registered doctor or optician.

        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).


Main Business

+  3  

WASTE AND EMISSIONS TRADING BILL [LORDS]: As amended in the Standing Committee, to be considered

[Until 7.00 p.m.]

For Amendments, see separate Paper.

Third Reading will also be taken.

        Proceedings on consideration shall, so far as not previously concluded, be brought to a conclusion one hour before the moment of interruption on the day on which those proceedings are commenced and proceedings on Third Reading shall, so far as not previously concluded, be brought to a conclusion at the moment of interruption on the day on which proceedings on consideration are commenced (Order of 20th March).

+  4  

REGULATORY REFORM

[No debate]

      Secretary Tessa Jowell
        That the draft Regulatory Reform (Gaming Machines) Order 2003, which was laid before this House on 17th September, be approved.

        The Regulatory Reform Committee has reported on the draft Order in its Fourteenth Report, HC 1210, and on the proposal for the Order in its Thirteenth Report, HC 715.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 18 (1)(a)).

+  5  

SCOTTISH GRAND COMMITTEE

[No debate]

      Mr Secretary Darling
      Mr Peter Hain
        That the Scottish Grand Committee shall meet at Westminster on Wednesday 12th November at five minutes to Nine o'clock to consider a substantive Motion for the adjournment of the Committee.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 100).

+  6  

DELEGATED LEGISLATION

[No debate after 7.00 p.m.]

      Mr Peter Hain
        That the Health Professions Council (Registration and Fees) Rules Order of Council 2003 (S.I., 2003, No. 1572), dated 13th June 2003, be referred to a Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation.

If opposed, this item cannot be taken after 7.00 p.m.

At the end of the sitting

  7  

ADJOURNMENT

        Proposed subject: Council tax increases in Worcestershire (Mr Peter Luff).

        Debate may continue until 7.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9 and Order of 29th October 2002).


COMMITTEES

STANDING COMMITTEES

1Standing Committee B9.30 a.m.
2.30 p.m.
Room 9 (public)
(public)
To consider the European Parliamentary and Local Elections (Pilots) Bill.
2Standing Committee E8.55 a.m.Room 10 (public)
To consider the Arms Control and Disarmament (Inspections) Bill [Lords].

SELECT COMMITTEES

3Constitutional Affairs9.00 a.m.
The Grimond Room,
Portcullis House

(private)
4Treasury9.15 a.m.


10.00 a.m.
The Wilson Room,
Portcullis House

(private)
(public)
Subject: Financial Services Authority Complaints.
Witness: Rosemary Radcliffe CBE, Complaints Commissioner.
5Home Affairs9.30 a.m.
9.45 a.m.
Room 8 (private)(public)
Subject: The Work of the Parole Board.
Witnesses: Mr David Hatch CBE, JP, Chairman, and Christine Glenn, Chief Executive, The Parole Board for England and Wales.
6Standards and Privileges9.30 a.m.Room 13 (private)
7Regulatory Reform9.30 a.m.Room 19 (private)
8Culture, Media and Sport10.00 a.m.


10.05 a.m.
The Thatcher Room,
Portcullis House

(private)(public)
Subject: Cultural Objects.
Witnesses: Natural History Museum; Museums Association (at approximately 10.55 a.m.); Art Loss Register, SALVO Theft Database and Trace (at approximately 11.45 a.m).
9International Development2.15 p.m.


2.30 p.m.
The Wilson Room,
Portcullis House

(private)(public)
Subject: Trade and Development at the WTO: After Cancu«n.
Witnesses: ActionAid, CAFOD, Christian Aid and Mr John Hilary; Commissioner Pascal Lamy, European Commission (at approximately 3.45 p.m.).
10Foreign Affairs2.30 p.m.


3.00 p.m.
The Grimond Room,
Portcullis House

(private)(public)
Subject: The Inter-Governmental Conference 2004.
Witnesses: Dr Denis MacShane MP, Minister of State for Europe, Mr David Frost, Assistant Director, EU-Internal, and Mr Richard Crowder, Head, EU-Gibraltar and Commonwealth Office.
11Select Committee on Statutory InstrumentsImmediately after JCSI MeetingRoom 7 (private).

JOINT COMMITTEES

12Joint Committee on House of Lords Reform10.00 a.m.Room 4 (private)
13Joint Committee on Statutory Instruments4.15 p.m.Room 7 (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]


Written Ministerial Statements to be made today

1    Deputy Prime Minister:      The Standards Board for England's Annual Report and Accounts 2002-03.
2    Deputy Prime Minister:      Electoral pilot schemes at local by-elections.
3    Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer:      United Kingdom Listing Authority.
4    Secretary of State for Northern Ireland:      Compensation Agency's Corporate Plan 2003-06 and Business Plan 2003-04.
5    Secretary of State for Defence:      Iraq: Continuing military operations in Iraq.
6    Secretary of State for Defence:      Institute of Education evaluation of skill force.
7    Secretary of State for Defence:      Key targets for the Veterans Agency 2003-04.
8    Secretary of State for Defence:      SKYNET 5.
9    Secretary of State for Transport:      Proposals for implementation of the taxi provisions of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995.
10    Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department for Constitutional Affairs:      Judicial Appointments Annual Report for 2002-03.
11    Secretary of State for Work and Pensions:      EU Pensions Directive—Consultation.

Standing Committee Notices

     The Programming Sub-Committee of Standing Committee B in respect of the European Parliamentary Local Elections (Pilots) Bill will meet on Monday 27th October at 6.00 p.m.

     Standing Committee B will meet on Tuesday 28th October and Thursday 30th October at 9.30 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. to consider the European Parliamentary and Local Elections (Pilots) Bill.

     Standing Committee E will meet on Tuesday 28th October at 8.55 a.m. and Thursday 30th October at 8.55 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. to consider the Arms Control and Disarmament (Inspections) Bill [Lords].

     European Standing Committee B will meet on Monday 27th October at 4.00 p.m. to consider the European Union Document No. 11817/03, relating to reduced rates of VAT.

     European Standing Committee C will meet on Wednesday 29th October at 2.00 p.m. to consider the European Union Document No. 6090/03, relating to official feed and food controls.

     The First Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Thursday 30th October at 2.30 p.m. to consider the draft Dental Auxiliaries (Amendment) Regulations 2003.

     The Second Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Monday 27th October at 4.30 p.m. to consider the Commission for Health Improvement (Functions) Regulations 2003.

     The Third Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Wednesday 29th October at 2.30 p.m. to consider the Health Professions Council (Registration and Fees) Rules Order of Council 2003.

     The Fourth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Wednesday 29th October at 2.30 p.m. to consider Child Support (Miscellaneous Amendments) (No. 2) Regulations 2003.

     The Fifth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Thursday 30th October at 9.55 a.m. to consider the Care Standards Act 2000 (Domiciliary Care Agencies and Nurses Agencies) (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2003 (S.I., 2003, No. 2323).

     The Sixth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Wednesday 29th October at 2.30 p.m. to consider the draft Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Amendment (No. 3) Regulations 2003.

     The Seventh Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Thursday 30th October at 9.55 a.m. to consider the Local Government Finance Special Grant Report (No. 128) Dealing with Disadvantage Grant.



 

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2003
Prepared 28 October 2003