|Amendments proposed to the Regional Assemblies (preparations) Bill - continued||House of Commons|
|back to previous text|
57Clause 16, page 9, line 38, leave out 'sections 22 and' and insert 'section'.
58Clause 18, page 10, line 22, leave out 'But'.
68Clause 19, page 10, line 28, leave out from 'if' to end of line 32 and insert 'the Secretary of State is considering whether to cause a referendum to be held in that region about the establishment of an elected assembly for the region.'.
69Clause 19, page 10, line 33, leave out 'may' and insert 'shall'.
70Clause 19, page 10, line 35, leave out 'may' and insert 'shall'.
73Clause 19, page 11, line 4, leave out from 'direction' to end of line 5 and insert 'shall specify that so far as it is reasonably practicable to do so, the Electoral Commission shall ensure that the number of electors in each electoral district is approximately equal in all regions'.
71Clause 19, page 11, line 5, at end add 'and shall specify how many members of the assembly not directly elected by an electoral area are to be appointed'.
72Clause 19, page 11, line 6, leave out paragraph (5).
74Clause 20, page 11, line 11, at end add 'provided such timetable shall not require the submission of their advice by the Electoral Commission within less than twelve months from the date of the direction.'.
75Clause 21, page 12, line 9, leave out paragraph (c).
REMAINING NEW CLAUSESFurther referendum on petition
NC1To move the following Clause:
'(1) This section applies if an elected assembly for a region has been established pursuant to a referendum held under section 1(1).
(2) The Secretary of State shall by order cause a further referendum to be held in a region specified in the order if he is presented with a petition requesting such a referendum signed by not less than 5 per cent. of the electors eligible to vote in the region as defined in section 3(1).
(3) The question to be asked in a referendum held pursuant to an order under subsection (2) above is the question set out in section 2(1).'.
Assistance for designated organisations
NC2To move the following Clause:
'(1) This section applies where the Electoral Commission has made any designations under section 108 of the 2000 Act in respect of a referendum held pursuant to section 1.
(2) The amount designated in subsection 110(2) of the 2000 Act shall, for the purposes of any grant made in connection with a referendum held pursuant to section 1, be £600,000 divided by the population of the United Kingdom, the resultant multiplied by the population of the region in which the referendum is to be held.'.
ORDER OF THE HOUSE (26th NOVEMBER 2002)REGIONAL ASSEMBLIES (PREPARATIONS) BILL (PROGRAMME)
That the following provisions shall apply to the Regional Assemblies (Preparations) Bill
Committal1. Clauses 1 to 4 of the Bill shall be committed to a Committee of the whole House.
2. The remainder of the Bill shall be committed to a Standing Committee.
Programming of proceedings3. All proceedings on the Bill (including any proceedings on consideration of Lords Amendments or on any further message from the Lords) may be programmed.
Proceedings4. Proceedings in Committee of the whole House shall be completed in one day.
5. (1) Proceedings in the Standing Committee shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion on Thursday 19th December 2002.
(2)The Standing Committee shall have leave to sit twice on the first day on which it meets.
6. When the provisions of the Bill considered, respectively, by the Committee of the whole House and by the Standing Committee, have been reported to the House, the Bill shall be proceeded with as if it had been reported as a whole to the House from the Standing Committee.
Consideration and Third Reading7. Proceedings on consideration shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion one hour before the moment of interruption on the day on which those proceedings are commenced.
8. Proceedings on Third Reading shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion at the moment of interruption on the day on which proceedings on consideration are commenced.
9. Sessional Order B (programming committees) made on 28th June 2001 shall not apply to proceedings on consideration and Third Reading.
ORDER OF THE COMMITTEE [3rd DECEMBER]That
(1) during proceedings on the Regional Assemblies (Preparations) Bill (except Clauses Nos. 1 to 4) the Standing Committee do meet on Tuesdays at half-past Ten o'clock and at half-past Four o'clock and on Thursdays at five minutes to Nine o'clock and at half-past Two o'clock, except that the Committee shall not meet on Thursday 5th December 2002;
(2) 10 sittings in all shall be allotted to the consideration of the Bill by the Committee;
(3) the proceedings shall be taken in the following order, namely
(4) the Committee shall report the Bill (except Clauses Nos. 1 to 4) to the House not later than Thursday 19th December 2002.
[Sessional Order C(9) relating to Programming (28th June 2001, as renewed on 29th October 2002).].
|©Parliamentary copyright 2002||Prepared 12 Dec 2002|