|Amendments proposed to the Communications Bill - continued||House of Commons|
|back to previous text|
Public Services Fund
Mr John Whittingdale
NC30To move the following Clause:
'(1) The Secretary of State shall by order make provision for the establishment of a Fund to be known as the Public Services Broadcasting Fund.
(2) There shall be at least three trustees of the Fund and the order shall make provision for the terms of their appointment, including their remuneration.
(3) The primary function of the Trustees shall be the making of financial contributions to groups or organisations which make or propose to make programmes of local, regional or sectional interest for inclusion in a programme service.
(4) The Trustees shall have such other powers as may be conferred on them by the order.
(5) The BBC shall pay to the Trustees of the Fund in January of each calendar year in accordance with the provisions of the order made under subsection (1) an amount equal to 1 per cent. of the licence fee received by the BBC in the preceding calendar year.
(6) An order under this section shall not be made unless a draft of the order has been laid before Parliament and approved by a resolution of each House.'.
Publication of reasons relating to orders amending section 58(2A) or (2B)
Mr John Whittingdale
NC31*To move the following Clause:
'In section 107 of the Enterprise Act 2002 (publication of decisions, reasons etc)
"(8A) Such reasons shall, in the case of subsection (7)(b) where the order affects section 58(2A) or (2B), be published not later than the time the order is published or if it is not reasonably practicable to publish the reasons by that time, not later than 3 weeks after that time.
Where such reasons ('the main reasons') are published after the time an order affecting section 58(2A) or (2B) is made, the reasons for the delay in publication shall be published together with the main reasons.".'.
Mr Richard Allan
NC32To move the following Clause
'(1) In subsection (2) of section 84 of the 1990 Act after paragraph (a)(iii) there shall be inserted
(2) In subsection (6) of section 104 of the 1990 Act in paragraph (b) after "satellite" there shall be inserted ", community".
(3) After that subsection there shall be inserted
"(6A) In determining whether or to whom to grant a licence to provide a community service and the duration of such licence OFCOM shall have regard to
(4) After section 49 of the 1996 Act there shall be inserted
"Reservation of digital capacity for community radio services (49A).¸(1) In exercising their powers to grant local radio multiplex licences, OFCOM shall reserve such digital capacity as they consider appropriate for digital sound programming and additional services which are operated for the benefit of members of the public in a defined geographical locality or in a particular community and not operated by the BBC or for commercial purposes ("digital community services").
(2) In performing their duty under subsection (1) OFCOM shall endeavour to ensure that every community radio service which is licensed to broadcast other than in digital form is also able to be received in digital form.
(4) Where a local multiplex licence is granted in respect of a locality in which digital capacity is reserved in pursuance of this section, the licence shall include such conditions as appear to OFCOM to be appropriate for the purpose of securing that the holder of the licence uses such digital capacity for the broadcasting of such services."
(5) In subsection (2) of section 50 of the 1996 Act after paragraph (d) there shall be inserted
Mr Brian White
NC33*To move the following Clause:
'After section 42B of the 1990 Act there is inserted
"Community television services 42C. In this Part 'community service' means a service which
42D.(1) An application for a licence to provide a community service shall be made in such manner as OFCOM may determine, and shall be accompanied by such fee (if any) as OFCOM may determine.
(2) In determining whether or to whom to grant a licence to provide a community service and the duration of such licence OFCOM shall have regard to
Development of community media
Mr Brian White
NC34*To move the following Clause:
(1) The Secretary of State may by order provide for
to have effect, in relation to services of such descriptions as may be set out in an order under this section, with such modifications as he considers necessary or appropriate for services of that description.
(2) The Secretary of State shall not make an order under this section in relation to any description of services unless
(3) The power, by order under this section, to make incidential, supplemental or consequential provision in connection with provision authorised by subsection (1) includes power to make incidential, supplemental or consequential provision modifying provisions of the 1990 Act, the 1996 Act or this Act that are not mentioned in that subsection.
(4) No order is to be made containing provision the making of which is authorised by this section unless a draft of the order has been laid before Parliament and approved by a resolution of each House.'.
Grants to community media
Mr Brian White
NC35*To move the following Clause:
'.(1) OFCOM shall make such payments as they consider appropriate to the credit of a fund established under this section, to be known as the Community Media Fund.
(2) The Fund shall be under the management of a body established for the purposes of this section, which shall be called the Community Media Foundation.
(3) The Community Media Foundation shall consist of
(4) The Fund may be applied by the Foundation in the making of grants for
(5) When making any grant out of the Fund in pursuance of subsection (4) the Foundation may impose such conditions as they think fit, including conditions requiring the grant to be repaid in certain circumstances.
(6) The Foundation shall perform their functions under this section with respect to the making of grants out of the Fund in such manner as they consider will secure a range and diversity of community media throughout the United Kingdom taking account of the greater need of areas and localities which are economically disadvantaged.
(7) OFCOM shall so exercise their power under subsection (3) to appoint the members of the Foundation as to secure that a majority of the members are persons who appear to them to represent a broad range of knowledge and experience of community media.
(8) Any sums required by OFCOM under subsection (1) may be paid out of money received in respect of wireless telegraphy licences, broadcast licences, administrative charges for electronic communications networks and services, and any other charges including financial penalties imposed on licensees.
(9) In this section
(10) In subsection (9)