|Amendments proposed to the Communications Bill - continued||House of Commons|
|back to previous text|
Conditions applying to satellite packagers
NC12To move the following Clause:
'(1) OFCOM may set such conditions applying to satellite packagers as OFCOM think fit for the purpose set out in subsection (2).
(2) That purpose is securing that satellite packages supplied by those packagers in the course of acting as designated satellite packagers (within the meaning of section [notification requirements for satellite packagers]) include, in the case of every package, an entitlement to receive
the services included in the list of must-distribute services. (3) An entitlement to receive a must-distribute service is made available free of charge only if no charge attributable (whether directly or indirectly) to the conferring of that entitlement is imposed for or in connection with the supply of the satellite package in which the entitlement is comprised.
(4) The list of must-distribute services is as follows
(5) Conditions under this section that require an entitlement to be conferred as respects a service included in the list of must-distribute services must, to such extent as OFCOM consider appropriate
(6) Before setting, revoking or modifying a condition under this section, OFCOM must consult
(7) The way in which conditions under this section are to be set or modified is by the publication of a notification setting out the conditions or modifications.
(8) The way in which such a condition is to be revoked is by the publication of a notification stating that the condition is revoked.
(9) The publication of a notification under subsection (7) or (8) must be in such manner as appears to OFCOM to be appropriate for bringing the contents of the notification to the attention of the persons who, in OFCOM's opinion, are likely to be affected by its contents.
(10) The Secretary of State may by order modify the list of must-distribute services.'.
Enforcement of sections [notification requirements for satellite packagers] and [conditions applying to satellite packagers]
NC13To move the following Clause:
'Schedule [Enforcement of sections [notification requirements for satellite packagers] and [conditions applying to satellite packagers]] shall have effect.'.
Power to modify satellite packager notification provisions
NC14To move the following Clause:
'(1) The Secretary of State may by order to modify sections [definition of satellite packagers], [notification requirements for satellite packagers] and [register of designations and satellite packagers] and Part 1 of Schedule [Enforcement of sections [notification requirements for satellite packagers] and [conditions applying to satellite packagers]] in such manner as he thinks fit.
(2) The power to make such an order is not to be exercised at any time after the commencement of section [notification requirements for satellite packagers].
(3) Before making such an order the Secretary of State must consult
(4) No order is to be made containing provision authorised by this section unless a draft of the order has been laid before Parliament and approved by a resolution of each House.'.
Conditions to secure access to audio-description
Mr Simon Thomas
NC15To move the following Clause:
'(1) It shall be the duty of OFCOM to set such general conditions as they consider appropriate for securing that audio-described television programmes, so far as provided in digital form, are
by means of the electronic communications networks described in the conditions.'.
Duties of BBC as respects independent productions for radio
NC16To move the following Clause:
'(1) It shall be the duty of the BBC to secure that, in each relevant period, not less than the prescribed percentage of the total amount of time allocated to the broadcasting of qualifying programmes in the radio broadcasting services provided by them is allocated to the broadcasting of a range and diversity of independent productions.
(2) In subsection (1)
(3) Before making an order under subsection (2) above the Secretary of State shall consult with OFCOM.
(4) OFCOM shall, in each relevant period, make a report to the Secretary of State on the extent to which the BBC have performed their duty under subsection (1) above in that period.'.
Irish language television programmes
Mr Simon Thomas
NC17To move the following Clause:
'.(1) The Secretary of State
pay to OFCOM such amount as he may, with the approval of the Treasury, determine to be appropriate for the purposes of this section.
(2) Any amount received by OFCOM under subsection (1) shall be carried by them to the credit of a fund established by them under this section, to be known as the Irish Language Television Fund (and any such amount shall accordingly not be regarded as forming part of the revenues of OFCOM).
(3) The Fund shall be under the management of a body established for the purposes of this section, which shall be called Coiste Teilifise Gaeilge (the Irish Language Television Committee).
(4) Coiste Teilifise Gaeilge shall consist of no more than 10 members, the members and Chairman of the Committee are to be appointed by OFCOM.
(5) The committee shall include members nominated by the following bodies
(6) OFCOM must secure, so far as practicable, that the membership of the Committee is such that the interests of the following are adequately represented
(7) When appointing members of the Committee, OFCOM must have regard to
(8) The Fund may be applied by the Committee
(9) When making any grant out of the Fund in pursuance of subsection (8) the Committee may impose such conditions as they think fit, including conditions requiring the grant to be repaid in specified circumstances.
(10) The Committee shall perform their functions under this section with respect to the making of grants out of the Fund in such manner as they consider will secure that a wide range of high quality television programmes in the Irish language are broadcast for reception in Northern Ireland.
(11) Any sums required by the Secretary of State under subsection (1) shall be paid out of money provided by Parliament.
(12) In this section:
|©Parliamentary copyright 2003||Prepared 30 Jan 2003|