|Amendments proposed to the Communications Bill - continued
|House of Commons
|back to previous text
Conditions to secure access to public teletext service
NC27To move the following Clause:
'The regulatory regime for the public teletext service includes the conditions that OFCOM considers appropriate for securing that the provision of so much of the public teletext service as is provided in digital form is accessible to persons who are blind and partially sighted.'.
Power to confer further functions on OFCOM relating to the BBC
Mr John Whittingdale
NC29To move the following Clause:
'(1) The Secretary of State may by order amend this Act to such extent as he considers appropriate to give effect to the provisions of
(3) An order under this section shall not be made unless a draft of the order has been laid before Parliament and approved by a resolution of each House.'.
Public Services Fund
Mr John Whittingdale
NC30To move the following Clause:
'(1) The Secretary of State shall by order make provision for the establishment of a Fund to be known as the Public Services Broadcasting Fund.
(2) There shall be at least three trustees of the Fund and the order shall make provision for the terms of their appointment, including their remuneration.
(3) The primary function of the Trustees shall be the making of financial contributions to groups or organisations which make or propose to make programmes of local, regional or sectional interest for inclusion in a programme service.
(4) The Trustees shall have such other powers as may be conferred on them by the order.
(5) The BBC shall pay to the Trustees of the Fund in January of each calendar year in accordance with the provisions of the order made under subsection (1) an amount equal to 1 per cent. of the licence fee received by the BBC in the preceding calendar year.
(6) An order under this section shall not be made unless a draft of the order has been laid before Parliament and approved by a resolution of each House.'.
Mr Richard Allan
NC32To move the following Clause:
'(1) In subsection (2) of section 84 of the 1990 Act, after paragraph (a)(iii) there shall be inserted
(3) After that subsection there shall be inserted
(2) In performing their duty under subsection (1) OFCOM shall endeavour to ensure that every community radio service which is licensed to broadcast other than in digital form is also able to be received in digital form.
(3) Where a local multiplex licence is granted in respect of a locality in which digital capacity is reserved in pursuance of this section, the licence shall include such conditions as appear to OFCOM to be appropriate for the purpose of securing that the holder of the licence uses such digital capacity for the broadcasting of such services."
NC33To move the following Clause:
'After section 42B of the 1990 Act there is inserted
(2) In determining whether or to whom to grant a licence to provide a community service and the duration of such licence OFCOM shall have regard to
Development of community media
NC34To move the following Clause:
(1) The Secretary of State may by order provide for
(2) The Secretary of State shall not make an order under this section in relation to any description of services unless
(4) No order is to be made containing provision the making of which is authorised by this section unless a draft of the order has been laid before Parliament and approved by a resolution of each House.'.
Grants to community media
NC35To move the following Clause:
'.(1) OFCOM shall make such payments as they consider appropriate to the credit of a fund established under this section, to be known as the Community Media Fund.
(2) The Fund shall be under the management of a body established for the purposes of this section, which shall be called the Community Media Foundation.
(3) The Community Media Foundation shall consist of
(6) The Foundation shall perform their functions under this section with respect to the making of grants out of the Fund in such manner as they consider will secure a range and diversity of community media throughout the United Kingdom taking account of the greater need of areas and localities which are economically disadvantaged.
(7) OFCOM shall so exercise their power under subsection (3) to appoint the members of the Foundation as to secure that a majority of the members are persons who appear to them to represent a broad range of knowledge and experience of community media.
(8) Any sums required by OFCOM under subsection (1) may be paid out of money received in respect of wireless telegraphy licences, broadcast licences, administrative charges for electronic communications networks and services, and any other charges including financial penalties imposed on licensees.
(9) In this section "community media" means communications services provided primarily for the benefit of members of the public in a defined geographical locality or in a particular community and not operated by the BBC or for commercial purposes.
(10) In subsection (9) "communications services" includes