Consumer Council for Water
Amendment made: No. 86, in page 39, leave out lines 40 to 42 and insert
'( ) The Council shall exercise and perform its powers and duties in the manner which it considers is best calculated to contribute to the achievement of sustainable development.'.[Mr. Morley.]
Determination References under Section 12 of the WIA
Amendment made: No. 87, in page 70, line 1, leave out '14A and 14B' and insert '16A and 16B'.[Mr. Morley.]
Conditions of Appointments under the WIA
Amendments made: No. 88, in page 73, line 24, leave out 'has been' and insert 'is'.
No. 89, in page 73, line 27, leave out from 'which' to 'within' in line 28 and insert
'such a direction may be given'.[Mr. Morley.]
New Clause 14
Schemes for the Adoption of Sewers, Lateral Drains and Sewage Disposal Works
'After section 105 of the WIA there is inserted
"105A Schemes for the adoption of sewers, lateral drains and sewage disposal works
10 Nov 2003 : Column 71
(1) The Secretary of State may by regulations provide for him to make schemes for the adoption by sewerage undertakers of sewers, lateral drains and sewage disposal works of the descriptions set out in paragraphs (a), (aa) and (b) of section 102(1) above.
(2) The regulations may require sewerage undertakers to prepare draft schemes and to submit them to the Secretary of State.
(3) Each scheme shall relate to
(a) the area of a sewerage undertaker, or part or parts of it; or
(b) the areas of more than one sewerage undertaker, or part or parts of them.
(4) It shall be the duty of a sewerage undertaker, in specified circumstances, to exercise its powers under section 102 above with a view to making the declaration referred to in subsection (1) of that section in relation to sewers, lateral drains or sewage disposal works which
(a) fall within the area to which a scheme relates; and
(b) satisfy specified criteria.
(5) The circumstances and the criteria shall each be
(a) specified in the regulations; or
(b) determined in accordance with the regulations and specified in the scheme.
(6) In relation to the exercise of those powers pursuant to that duty
(a) section 102 above shall have effect
(i) with the omission of subsections (2), (5) and (7);
(ii) as if in subsection (1) the words "sections 103, 105 and 146(3) below" read "section 105B below";
(iii) with the omission of the words "or application" in subsection (3);
(iv) as if for subsection (4)(a) there were substituted
"(a) shall give notice of its proposal to the owner or owners of the sewer, lateral drain or works in question unless, after diligent enquiry, he or they cannot be traced;
(aa) shall publish notice of its proposal in the prescribed manner; and";
(v) as if in subsection (4)(b) "two months" read "two months or, if longer, the period specified by virtue of section 105B(5) below" and "section 105 below" read "section 105B(4) or (5) below, or "; and
(vi) as if section 96(3) of the Water Act 2003 did not apply;
(b) sections 103 and 105 above shall not apply; and
(c) if the regulations so provide, section 146(3) below shall not apply in circumstances or cases specified in the regulations.
(7) A duty imposed on a sewerage undertaker under subsection (4) above shall be enforceable by the Secretary of State under section 18 above.
(8) A statutory instrument containing regulations under subsection (1) above shall not be made unless a draft of the instrument has been laid before, and approved by a resolution of, each House of Parliament.
105B Adoption schemes: appeals
(1) Any person falling within subsection (2) below may appeal to the Authority if he is aggrieved by
(a) the proposal of a sewerage undertaker to make a declaration under section 102 above in relation to a sewer, lateral drain or sewage disposal works, pursuant to the undertaker's duty to do so under section 105A(4) above (the "relevant duty"); or
(b) the failure of a sewerage undertaker to make such a proposal pursuant to that duty.
10 Nov 2003 : Column 72
(2) The persons referred to are
(a) an owner of a sewer, lateral drain or sewage disposal works;
(b) any other person affected by the proposal, or the failure, in question.
(3) The grounds upon which a person may appeal are
(a) in a subsection (1)(a) case, that the relevant duty is not owed in relation to the sewer, lateral drain or sewage disposal works, or that the making of the proposed declaration would be seriously detrimental to him;
(b) in a subsection (1)(b) case, that the relevant duty is owed in relation to the sewer, lateral drain or sewage disposal works; or
(c) any other prescribed ground.
(4) An appeal under subsection (1)(a) above shall be made within two months after notice of the proposal is
(a) served on the owner of the sewer, lateral drain or sewage disposal works; or
(b) published in accordance with section 102(4) above as modified by section 105A(6) above,
(or, if both occur, within two months after whichever is the later).
(5) An appeal under subsection (1)(b) above shall be made within such period as is specified in the scheme (not being less than two months).
(6) On the hearing of an appeal under subsection (1) above, the Authority may
(a) in a subsection (1)(a) case, allow or disallow the proposal of the sewerage undertaker; or
(b) in a subsection (1)(b) case, determine that the undertaker was not under the relevant duty in relation to the sewer, lateral drain or sewage disposal works in question,
or, in either case, make any declaration that the sewerage undertaker might have made, unless the proposal is disallowed.
(7) If, in a subsection (1)(a) case, the Authority finds that the making of the proposed declaration would be seriously detrimental to the appellant, it shall disregard any duty on the part of the sewerage undertaker to make the proposal for the purpose of determining whether to allow or disallow the proposal.
(8) If, in a subsection (1)(a) case, the Authority disallows the proposal of the sewerage undertaker, the scheme pursuant to which it was made shall have effect as if there were no duty under section 105A(4) above on the sewerage undertaker in relation to the sewer, lateral drain or sewage disposal works in question.
(9) Where the Authority makes a declaration under subsection (6) above, it may, if it thinks fit
(a) specify conditions, including conditions as to the payment of compensation by the sewerage undertaker; and
(b) direct that its declaration shall not take effect unless any conditions so specified are accepted.
(10) A declaration made under subsection (6) above shall have the same effect as if it had been made by the undertaker.
(11) The Secretary of State may by regulations make further provision in connection with appeals under this section.
(12) The regulations may, in particular, require the Authority to have regard to prescribed matters when determining an appeal under this section.
105C Adoption schemes: supplementary
(1) The Secretary of State may vary any scheme, or revoke it.
(2) Before making regulations or any scheme under section 105A above, and before amending or revoking the regulations or varying or revoking a scheme, the Secretary of State shall consult
(a) each sewerage undertaker which would be affected;
(b) the Authority;
10 Nov 2003 : Column 73
(c) the Council;
(d) such other persons as the Secretary of State considers appropriate.
(3) The Secretary of State shall publish each scheme he makes, and any such scheme as varied, in the way he considers best for the purpose of bringing it to the attention of those likely to be affected by it.".'.[Mr. Morley.]
Brought up, and read the First time.
I beg to move, That the clause be read a Second time.