Memorandum by Roger Goodier, Chairman,
CICAP (PAP 54)
In reply to your e-mail of 16 April and the
PASC "Issues and Questions" document dated 13 March
2002, I set out below my answers to those questions I feel able
5. So long as the independent assessors
are informed and independent, the system seems to be satisfactory.
7. (a) Not in my experience; (b) none.
12. Worthy of consideration.
13. I am not convinced that the widest pool
of candidates apply. Many who would be appropriate appointments
do not have sufficient time to take on appointments.
15. Appropriate remuneration is always required.
For example, there are specialist medically qualified people who
would be suitable candidates but who find the remuneration inadequate.
20. It is not clear to me how independent
assessors are appointed. Perhaps their appointments should be
25. I do not see why not.