House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2003 - 04
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business 29 June 2004

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for 29 June 2004.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


At 11.30 a.m. Prayers
Afterwards

Private Business

        Note: Private business is not debated at this time, and may not be proceeded with if opposed.

Consideration of Bill ordered to lie upon the table

Medway Council Bill.


Afterwards
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Scotland
*1 Andrew Selous (South West Bedfordshire):    When he last met the Chancellor of the Exchequer to discuss the effects of road fuel taxation on business in Scotland.
( 180229 )
*2 Mr Russell Brown (Dumfries):    What discussions he has had with the First Minister about returning cash seized under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 to local communities worst affected by the criminals.
( 180230 )
*3 Mr Michael Moore (Tweeddale, Ettrick & Lauderdale):    What discussions he has held with the Department of Trade and Industry on the future of Regional Selective Assistance.
( 180231 )
*4 John Robertson (Glasgow Anniesland):    What recent discussions he has had with the First Minister on the Dungavel Immigration Removal Centre.
( 180232 )
*5 Ann McKechin (Glasgow Maryhill):    When he last had discussions with the Health and Safety Executive on its work in Scotland.
( 180233 )
*6 Mr David Marshall (Glasgow Shettleston):    What plans he has to meet the Scottish Executive to discuss the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation; and if he will make a statement.
( 180234 )
*7 Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith):    What recent discussions he has had regarding funding arrangements for students from Scotland who wish to study at higher education institutions in England.
( 180235 )
*8 Pete Wishart (North Tayside):    What discussions he has held with (a) the Chancellor of the Exchequer and (b) the Scottish Executive on the effect of fuel duty levels on rural Scotland.
( 180236 )
*9 David Cairns (Greenock & Inverclyde):    When he next plans to visit Inverclyde to discuss regeneration.
( 180238 )
*10 Anne Picking (East Lothian):    If he will discuss with the Minister for Energy the introduction of location charging to Scottish power stations.
( 180239 )
*11 Bob Spink (Castle Point):    If he will make a statement on manufacturing industry in Scotland.
( 180240 )
*12 Mr Henry Bellingham (North West Norfolk):    What recent representations he has received from Scottish small business organisations about the tax treatment of dividends.
( 180241 )
*13 Jim Sheridan (West Renfrewshire):    If he will make a statement on the recent publication of the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation.
( 180242 )
*14 Mr Bill Tynan (Hamilton South):    What discussions he has had with the Scottish Executive regarding the Barker Review.
( 180243 )

At 11.55 a.m.
Oral Questions to the Advocate General
*15 Ann McKechin (Glasgow Maryhill):    What devolution issues she has considered since 25th May.
( 180244 )
*16 Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    What devolution issues she has considered since 25th May.
( 180245 )
*17 Mr Tam Dalyell (Linlithgow):    What human rights issues she has considered since 25th May.
( 180248 )

At 12 noon
Oral Questions to the Parliamentary Secretary, Department for Constitutional Affairs
*18 Ann Winterton (Congleton):    What assessment the Department has made of the efficacy of the recent trials for postal voting in the North West of England.
( 180752 )
*19 Mr Simon Burns (West Chelmsford):    If he will make a statement on the future of reform of the House of Lords.
( 180753 )
*20 Norman Baker (Lewes):    What progress is being made in implementing the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
( 180754 )
*21 Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    What assessment the Department has made of the integrity of the electoral roll following the postal ballots in the recent elections.
( 180755 )
*22 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire):    What representations the Department has received from the legal profession on the legal products the Tesco supermarket chain plans to put on sale.
( 180757 )
*23 Chris Bryant (Rhondda):    What plans the Department has to provide a new system of arbitration of disputes between the Westminster Parliament and the devolved assemblies.
( 180758 )
*24 Bob Russell (Colchester):    When he expects that planning permission will be given for the new court house in Colchester.
( 180760 )
*25 Mr Patrick McLoughlin (West Derbyshire):    What plans the Department has to implement the Government's pledge to make the House of Lords more democratic.
( 180761 )
*26 Sir Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield):    What plans the Department has to extend trials of postal voting during the next general election.
( 180762 )
*27 Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):    If he will make a statement on the role of magistrates' courts committees in camera safety partnerships.
( 180763 )
*28 Mr Graham Allen (Nottingham North):    What discussions the Department has had with Mr Billy Bragg on using a secondary mandate as a way of electing part of the Second Chamber.
( 180765 )

At 12.20 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Leader of the House
*29 Ms Karen Buck (Regent's Park & Kensington North): To ask the Leader of the House, what plans he has to propose the removal of the term stranger from the Standing Orders.
( 180767 )
*30 Mr Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North & Leith): To ask the Leader of the House, what steps he will take in response to the Select Committee on the Modernisation of the House of Commons' report on Connecting Parliament with the Public.
( 180769 )
*31 Mr Graham Allen (Nottingham North): To ask the Leader of the House, what discussions he has had with the BBC regarding its coverage of online pre-legislative scrutiny by the House.
( 180770 )
*32 Bob Spink (Castle Point): To ask the Leader of the House, what recent representations he has received on the House's sitting hours.
( 180771 )
*33 Ann Coffey (Stockport): To ask the Leader of the House, what action he is taking on the recommendation of the Select Commmittee on the Modernisation of the House of Commons to end the use of the term stranger.
( 180772 )
*34 Mr Peter Viggers (Gosport): To ask the Leader of the House, what consideration he is giving to a revision of the House's sitting hours.
( 180773 )
*35 Chris Bryant (Rhondda): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will introduce electronic voting in the lobbies of the House.
( 180774 )

At 12.30 p.m.Urgent Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Ten minute rule Motion

  1  

ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR

[Up to 20 minutes]

      Mr Wayne David
        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to make provision about anti-social behaviour.

        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).


Main Business

+  2  

ADJOURNMENT

      The Prime Minister
        That this House do now adjourn.

        Proposed subject for debate: London schools.

        Proceedings may continue for three hours or until Four o'clock, whichever is the later, and shall then lapse if not previously disposed of (Order of 24th June).

  3  

PUBLIC ACCOUNTS

      Mr Edward Leigh
      Mr Alan Williams
      Mr Richard Allan
        That this House takes note of the 1st to the 16th, and the 18th and 19th Reports of the Committee of Public Accounts of Session 2003-04, and of the Treasury Minutes and the Northern Ireland Department of Finance and Personnel Memorandum on these Reports, Cm 6130, 6136, 6155, 6175, 6191 and 6244.

        The Speaker shall put the Questions necessary to dispose of proceedings not later than Seven o'clock or three hours after their commencement, whichever is the later; proceedings may continue after the moment of interruptions; and the Orders of the House of 28th June 2001 and 6th November 2003 relating to deferred Divisions shall not apply (Order of 24th June).

At the end of the sitting:

  4  

ADJOURNMENT

        Proposed subject: Provocation in domestic violence killings (Vera Baird).

        Debate may continue until 7.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9 and Order of 29th October 2002).


COMMITTEES

STANDING COMMITTEES

1Standing Committee F8.55 a.m.Room 9 (private)
(Programming Sub-Committee) (Health Protection Agency Bill [Lords]).
2Standing Committee F9.05 a.m.
2.30 p.m.
Room 9 (public)
(public)
To consider the Health Protection Agency Bill [Lords].
3Standing Committee E9.10 a.m.
2.30 p.m.
Room 11 (public)
(public)
Further to consider the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Bill [Lords].
4Standing Committee D9.25 a.m.
2.30 p.m.
Room 12 (public)
(public)
To consider the Public Audit (Wales) Bill [Lords].
5Second Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation9.55 a.m.Room 10 (public)
To consider the draft Stansted Airport Aircraft Movement Limit (Revocation) Order 2004.
6Third Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation9.55 a.m.Room 14 (public)
To consider the draft Rights of Re-entry and Forfeiture (Prescribed Sum and Period) (England) Regulations 2004.

SELECT COMMITTEES

7Welsh Affairs8.45 a.m.
9.00 a.m.
Room 8 (private)
(public)
Subject: Wales Office Annual Report 2004.
Witnesses: Rt Hon Peter Hain MP, Secretary of State for Wales, and Wales Office officials.
8Office of the Deputy Prime Minister: Housing, Planning, Local Government and the Regions9.00 a.m.


9.15 a.m.
The Thatcher Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Gypsy and Traveller Sites.
Witnesses: Commission for Racial Equality; Ms Pat Niner, University of Birmingham (at approximately 9.30 a.m.); Cottenham Residents Association (at approximately 9.45 a.m.); Travellers Advice Team, Community Law Partnership (at approximately 10.00 a.m.); National Association of Gypsy and Traveller Officers (at approximately 10.15 a.m.).
9Constitutional Affairs9.15 a.m.
9.30 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
Subject: Draft Criminal Defence Service Bill.
Witnesses: The Law Society and the Criminal Law Solicitors' Association; the Legal Aid Practitioners' Group (at approximately 10.15 a.m.); the Bar Council (at approximately 10.45 a.m.).
10Culture, Media and Sport10.00 a.m.


10.30 a.m.
The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: BBC Charter Renewal.
Witnesses: BSkyB; Telewest and NTL (at approximately 11.15 a.m.); British Internet Publishers Alliance, Internet Watch Foundation, Two Way TV and Video Networks (at approximately 12 noon).
11Regulatory Reform10.00 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 16 (private)
(public)
Subject: Proposal for the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2004.
Witnesses: Mr Tony Taig, TTAC Ltd; Phil Hope MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, and Andy Jack, Head of Fire Safety Legislation Branch, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (at approximately 11.00 a.m.).
12Scottish Affairs2.00 p.m.
2.15 p.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
Subject: The Scotland Office Annual Report 2004.
Witness: Rt Hon Alistair Darling MP, Secretary of State for Scotland, Mrs Anne McGuire MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Scotland, and Mr David Crawley, Head of Office, the Scotland Office.
13Foreign Affairs2.30 p.m.


3.00 p.m.
The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: FCO Annual Report 2003-04.
Witnesses: Sir Michael Jay KCMG, Permanent Under-Secretary of State, Mr Dickie Stagg CMG, Mr Simon Gass CMG CVO, and Mr David Warren, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
14International Development2.45 p.m.Room 6 (private)
15Environment, Food and Rural Affairs: Food Information Sub-Committee2.50 p.m.


3.00 p.m.
The Thatcher Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Food Information.
Witnesses: The Co-op; Tesco and Asda (at approximately 3.30 p.m.); Whitbread (at approximately 4.15 p.m.); McDonald's (at approximately 5.00 p.m.); and Dr Richard Baines, Royal Agricultural College, Gloucester (at approximately 5.30 p.m.).

JOINT COMMITTEE

16Statutory Instruments4.15 p.m.Room 7 (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]


Written Ministerial Statements to be made today

1    Prime Minister:      Annual Report for 2003-04 of the Chief Surveillance Commissioner.
2    Secretary of State for Northern Ireland:      Police Service of Northern Ireland: 2003-04 Report of the Chief Constable.
3    Secretary of State for Northern Ireland:      Independent Assessor of Military Complaints Procedures in Northern Ireland: 11th Annual Report.
4    Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs:      Review of FCO Security Overseas.
5    Deputy Prime Minister:      Building Regulations (Electrical Safety in Dwellings).
6    Secretary of State for Work and Pensions:      Departmental efficiency.
7    Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer:      2004 Spending Review.

Written Question tabled on Monday 28th June for answer today‡

1 Kevin Brennan (Cardiff West): To ask the Prime Minister, when he expects to lay the Intelligence and Security Committee's Annual Report for 2003-04 before Parliament.
( 181700 )


 

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2004
Prepared 29 June 2004