Amendments proposed to the Higher Education Bill - continued House of Commons

back to previous text
Government interest rate and fee deferral


Mr Graham Allen


*To move the following Clause:—

    '(1)   All fees shall be deferred, to be repaid on an income contingent basis at a government rate of interest.

    (2)   A government rate of interest shall also be charged on all student loans.

    (3)   All monies raised from interest payments shall be used to finance loans to students, to be repaid on terms set out by the Secretary of State, which must take into account a student's personal and household financial circumstances.'.

Access to student loans


Mr Phil Willis
Mr David Rendel


*To move the following Clause:—

       'In determining eligibility for student loans age may not be taken into account.'.

Application of limit on time for complaints relating to disability


Mr Tim Collins
Chris Grayling
Mr Mark Francois


*To move the following Clause:—

       'For the purposes of paragraph 13(2) of Schedule 3 to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (c. 50) a complaint referred to the body designated by the Secretary of State or the Assembly in Wales under section 13 shall be deemed to be concilliation under section 31B of that Act.'.

Distribution principle for funding by research councils


Mr Simon Thomas


*To move the following Clause:—

    '(1)   In distributing funding, the research councils to which this section applies shall have regard to the distribution principle in this section.

    (2)   That principle is that, in any period of twelve months, 10 per cent. of funds to be distributed shall be awarded to those institutions that have benefited the least from the distribution of the other 90 per cent. of funds.

    (3)   This section applies to—

      (a) the Arts and Humanities and Research Council,

      (b) the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council,

      (c) the Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council,

      (d) the Natural Environment Research Council,

      (e) the Medical Research Council,

      (f) the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council,

      (g) the Economic and Social Research Council, and

      (h) the Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils.'.


That the following provisions shall aply to the Higher Education Bill:


    1.   The Bill shall be committed to a Standing Committee.

Proceedings in Standing Committee

    2.   Proceedings in the Standing Committee shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion on Thursday 4th March 2004.

    3.   The Standing Committee shall have leave to sit twice on the first day on which it meets.

Consideration and Third Reading

    4.   Proceedings on consideration shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion one hour before the moment of interruption on the day on which those proceedings are commenced.

    5.   Proceedings on Third Reading shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion at the moment of interruption on that day.

    6.   Sessional Order B (programming committees) made on 28th June 2001 shall not apply to proceedings on consideration and Third Reading.

Programming of proceedings

    7.   All other proceedings on the Bill (including any proceedings on consideration of Lords Amendments or on any further Messages from the Lords) may be programmed.

previous section contents
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

©Parliamentary copyright 2004
Prepared 6 Feb 2004