|Amendments proposed to the Children Bill [Lords] - continued||House of Commons|
|back to previous text|
Consistency of legislation with the UNCRC and children's well-being|
Mr Hilton Dawson
NC13To move the following Clause:
'(1) A Minister of the Crown in charge of a Bill in either House of Parliament must, before Second Reading of the Bill
(2) The statement must be in writing and be published in such manner as the Minister making it considers appropriate.
(3) For the purposes of subsection (1)(a), the aspects of children's well-being are
NC14To move the following Clause:
'Without prejudice to the other provisions of this Act, Children's Services Authorities in Wales and their relevant partners shall have regard to combating social exclusion and discrimination based on sex, racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation.'.
Children's services in Wales: principles
NC15To move the following Clause:
'In the delivery of children's services in Wales, Children's Services Authorities and their relevant partners specified in section 21 shall have regard to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.'.
Duty of school governing body in relation to pupils in public care
NC16To move the following Clause:
'The governing body of a community, foundation or voluntary school or a maintained nursery school shall designate a teacher to act as a resource and advocate for children and young people in public care.'.
Co-operation of schools
NC17To move the following Clause:
'Governing bodies of schools maintained by local authorities, academies, city colleges and independent schools must
Extension of the powers of the Children's Commissioner for Wales
NC18To move the following Clause:
'(1) Section 75A of the Care Standards Act 2000 (additional power of consideration and representation) is amended as follows.
Leave out subsections (1) and (2) and insert
Non-availability of the United Kingdom Youth Parliament
Mr Andrew Turner
NC19To move the following Clause:
'If in relation to any responsibility under this Part the United Kingdom Youth Parliament is not able to act, the Secretary of State shall nominate a similar body largely representative (by election) of and comprised of persons under the age of 18.'.
Requirement to review the working of the effect of the creation of a UK children's commissioner on the function of the existing commissioners in the nations of the UK
NC33To move the following Clause:¸
'(1) Each of the Children's Commissioners in the UK shall monitor the effect of having more than one Children's Commissioner operating in their nation simultaneously.
(2) Each of the Children's Commissioners shall make reports to the Secretary of State, the National Assembly, Scottish Parliament and the Northern Ireland Assembly on the findings of the provisions specified in section 1(a) and (b) above and in accordance with the following provisions of this section.
(3) The report shall, in particular, consider the impact of having more than one Children's Commissioner representing children in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, including
(4) The reports under this section shall be made as soon as practicable after the second anniversary of the coming into force of Part 1 of this Act.
(5) In producing a report under this section the Children's Commissioners shall consult
(6) A Report under this section
(7) The Secretary of State shall lay a copy of every report sent to him under this section before each House of Parliament.'.
Provision of services
NC34To move the following Clause:
'(1) The National Assembly for Wales may direct a local authority
(3) In this section "children" means persons under the age of 18.
(4) A direction under subsection (1)
(5) A direction under subsection (1)
Review of exercise of functions of Assembly and other persons
NC35To move the following Clause:
'( ) Section 72B of the Care Standards Act 2000 (c. 14) (review of exercise of functions of Assembly and other persons) is amended as follows.
( ) In subsection (3), omit paragraphs (a) and (c)
( ) Omit subsections (4) and (6).'.
Assessment of children in need
NC37To move the following Clause:
'After section 213A(3) of the Housing Act 1996 (c.52), insert
"(3A) Upon receiving a referral under subsection (2) or (3), the social services authority shall carry out an assessment of the needs of the child or children in question for the purposes of Part 3 of the Children Act 1989.".'.
Provision of housing assistance for children in need
NC38To move the following Clause:
'After section 17(6) of the Children Act 1989 (c. 41), insert
"(6A) Where a child is in need because, or partly because, he has no accommodation, in exercising their powers under subsection (6), the authority shall have regard in particular to the following factors
(6B) Where an authority has reason to believe that a child may be a child in need because, or partly because, he has no accommodation, they shall have the power to provide accommodation or appropriate assistance on an interim basis pending an assessment of the child's needs under section 213A(3A) of the Housing Act 1996.
(6C) Where an authority declines to provide services under this section or decides to provide services other than those requested, whether on an interim basis or otherwise, they shall give reasons in writing for their decision.".'.