House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2003 - 04
Publications on the internet
The Questions Book

Part 1: Written Questions for Answer on
Wednesday 20 October 2004

Notes:
* Indicates a Question for Oral Answer.
+ Indicates a Question not included in the random selection process but accepted because the quota for that day had not been filled.
[N] Indicates a Question for Written Answer on a named day, i.e. the Member has indicated under S.O. No. 22(4) the day on which he wishes the Question to be answered.
[R] Indicates that a relevant interest has been declared.
 


 

Questions for Oral or Written Answer
beginning on Wednesday 20 October 2004
(the 'Questions Book')

Part 1: Written Questions for Answer on
Wednesday 20 October 2004


This paper contains only Written Questions for answer on Wednesday 20 October of which previous notice has been given in the Notices of Questions paper. They are arranged in alphabetical order of answering Department.

For other Written Questions for answer on Wednesday 20 October of which no previous notice has been given, see the Order Paper.

For Written and Oral Questions for answer after Wednesday 20 October see Part 2 of this paper.


Questions to the Chairman of the Catering Committee
1
Norman Baker (Lewes):To ask the Chairman of the Catering Committee, if he will make representations to the Director of Catering Services to implement a strategy to minimise food miles.
(193095)
2
Norman Baker (Lewes):To ask the Chairman of the Catering Committee, if he will make representations to the Director of Catering Services to increase the percentage of food sourced organically.
(193103)
Questions to Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer
3
Mr Stephen Dorrell (Charnwood):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how many full-time equivalent government information officers were employed by HM Treasury in each year since 1997.
(192940)
4
Mr Michael Foster (Worcester):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will estimate the economically active population in Worcester (a) in May 1997 and (b) now.
(193097)
5
Chris Grayling (Epsom & Ewell):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what representations he has received about the impact of the taxation of venture capital companies on university start-ups.
(193134)
6
N
Mr John Horam (Orpington):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how many meetings of the Ministerial Sub-Committee of Green Ministers were attended by the Department's Green Minister in (a) 2002-03 and (b) 2003-04.
(190871)
7
N
Mr Greg Knight (East Yorkshire):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what assessment he has made of the effect on payments to working tax credit claimants of overtime working; and if he will make a statement.
(192629)
8
Adam Price (Carmarthen East & Dinefwr):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will make a statement on the costs of public liability insurance.
(192909)
9
Adam Price (Carmarthen East & Dinefwr):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will make a statement on proposals by Siemens Business Services to transfer National Savings and Investment jobs to India.
(192910)
10
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how many times during the Greek presidency of the EU the Economic Policy Committee: working party on reduced compositions met; when and where these meetings took place; which UK Government expert was present at each meeting; what (a) technical and (b) financial issues were raised by the UK Government expert at each meeting; what recommendations the Committee produced during that period; what actions were (i) proposed and (ii) taken by (A) the EU and (B) the UK Government as a result of the Committee's recommendations; and if he will make a statement.
(193023)
11
Mr Bill Tynan (Hamilton South):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how many requests for remission of overpayments of tax credits have been submitted.
(192984)
12
Mr Bill Tynan (Hamilton South):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what the average time taken is from submission of remission of overpayments of tax credits requests to the final decision being made.
(192985)
13
Mr Bill Tynan (Hamilton South):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what discussions are taking place with the IT contractors to resolve problems with tax credits.
(192986)
14
Keith Vaz (Leicester East):To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what the United Kingdom is doing to promote the Lisbon Agenda.
(193075)
Questions to the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
15
Mr Frank Field (Birkenhead):To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, when she approved the change of the name of the National Galleries of Merseyside to the National Galleries of Liverpool.
(192886)
Questions to the Secretary of State for Defence
16
Mr Gerald Howarth (Aldershot):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, when he expects the UK to be granted access to sensitive technology to permit maintenance and logistic support for the Joint Strike Fighter in the UK.
(193108)
17
Mr Gerald Howarth (Aldershot):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what consultations the Government has had with the US Administration about technology transfer and access with regard to the Joint Strike Fighter.
(193109)
18
Mr Gerald Howarth (Aldershot):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what effect the changes to the internal weapons bays of the Joint Strike Fighter will have on the UK's future weapons requirement for that aircraft.
(193110)
19
Mr Gerald Howarth (Aldershot):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, when he expects to sign a contract for the STOVL variant of the Joint Strike Fighter.
(193122)
20
Mr Gerald Howarth (Aldershot):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, when he expects the Technology Demonstrator Programmes for the systems and sub-systems of the Future Rapid Effects System to be completed.
(193123)
21
Mr Gerald Howarth (Aldershot):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, when he expects to award the Technology Demonstrator Programmes Contracts for the systems and sub-systems of the Future Rapid Effects System; and what he estimates the costs of the programmes to be.
(193124)
22
Mr Gerald Howarth (Aldershot):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, when he expects the Airborne Stand-Off Radar (ASTOR) to enter service.
(193125)
23
Mr Gerald Howarth (Aldershot):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, when he expects the engineering difficulties with the Airborne Stand-Off Radar (ASTOR) to be corrected; and what effect this will have on ASTOR's in-service date.
(193126)
24
Mr Gerald Howarth (Aldershot):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, whether he expects the solution for the Military Afloat Reach and Sustainability (MARS) requirement to be achieved as part of a private finance initiative.
(193127)
25
Mr Gerald Howarth (Aldershot):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, when he expects the Military Afloat Reach and Sustainability (MARS) Project to complete its concept phase.
(193128)
26
Mr Robert Jackson (Wantage):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how many trained Arabic speakers serve in the British armed forces stationed in Iraq.
(192890)
27
N
Chris McCafferty (Calder Valley):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what the strength of the (a) Duke of Wellington's Regiment, (b) 3 Parachute Regiment and (c) Prince of Wales Royal Regiment was in each of the last nine years.
(192270)
28
Richard Ottaway (Croydon South):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, whether he plans to have statutory recycling targets beyond 2005-06.
(193129)
29
Llew Smith (Blaenau Gwent):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, pursuant to his Written Statement on missile defence, of 12th October, Official Report, columns 9-10WS, for what reasons the copy of the agreement to which he referred was not placed in the Library when the statement was made.
(192937)
30
Llew Smith (Blaenau Gwent):To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what discussions he has had with his United States counterpart in respect of the deployment on United Kingdom territories of ballistic missile interceptors.
(192956)
Questions to the Deputy Prime Minister
31
Mr David Drew (Stroud):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what the gap is in funding for Fire Service pensions.
(192960)
32
Mr David Drew (Stroud):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what discussions he has had with the Fire Brigades Union on pensions.
(192961)
33
Mr David Drew (Stroud):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, when he plans to raise the normal retirement age for firefighters to (a) 55 and (b) 65 years.
(192962)
34
Mr David Drew (Stroud):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what plans he has to enhance the policing of agreements under Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990; and what advice he plans to offer to local authorities to ensure that developers deliver on their commitments.
(192963)
35
N
Mr John Horam (Orpington):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, how many meetings of the Ministerial Sub-Committee of Green Ministers were attended by the Department's Green Minister in (a) 2002-03 and (b) 2003-04.
(190870)
36
Helen Jones (Warrington North):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what assessment he has made of the demand for affordable housing (a) in Warrington and (b) in the North-West over the next five years.
(193047)
37
Helen Jones (Warrington North):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, how many homeless households are awaiting accommodation in each local authority in the North-West.
(193048)
38
Helen Jones (Warrington North):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, how many applicants are on the waiting list for council properties in each local authority in the North-West.
(193049)
39
Helen Jones (Warrington North):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, how many council houses each local authority in the North-West owns; and how many each owned in 1997.
(193050)
40
Helen Jones (Warrington North):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, how many homes are available for rent from housing associations in each local authority in the North-West; and how many were available in 1997.
(193051)
41
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, how many local plans the Government Office for the West Midlands has objected to on the grounds of their gypsy policies.
(193107)
42
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what the time-scale is for publication of a replacement for Circular 1/94.
(193111)
43
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, whether the replacement for Circular 1/94 will put a duty on local authorities to make adequate provision for gypsy sites.
(193112)
44
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what evidential basis there is for a national need for gypsy sites; and what plans the Government has to produce national data on the need for gypsy site provision.
(193113)
45
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, whether the replacement for Circular 1/94 will require all local authorities (a) to have policies relating to gypsies in their development plans and (b) to ensure that they each make provision for gypsies.
(193114)
46
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what assessment he has made of the impact of large-scale and deliberate breaches of planning control by travellers in setting up large encampments on the integrity of the planning system.
(193115)
47
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what guidance he plans to offer local authorities on assessing the need for gypsy sites in local development plans.
(193116)
48
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what guidance he plans to offer local authorities on the methodology for carrying out needs assessments for the travelling community.
(193117)
49
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what role the Government expects (a) regional assemblies, (b) regional housing boards and (c) regional planning boards to play in the formulation and development of policies to deal with gypsies.
(193118)
50
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, on what basis he determined in relation to the gypsy encampment case at Wyre Piddle dated 4th October that need was unmet; and how he reached this conclusion.
(193119)
51
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what account local authorities will be required to take of the (a) national and (b) regional need for traveller sites when allocating land for such sites in their local development plans.
(193120)
52
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, whether (a) he and (b) planning inspectors will require applicants for gypsy site provision to demonstrate (i) local need, (ii) local connections with the area and (iii) both (i) and (ii) to overturn a decision against them by a local planning authority.
(193121)
53
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, whether it is his policy that a local authority's record in making provision for gypsies should be taken into account when considering the need to make further provision.
(193136)
54
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, whether it is his policy that local authorities which have made little or no provision for gypsies should be required to make significant provision in the future.
(193137)
55
N
Diana Organ (Forest of Dean):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what weight he will give to local knowledge of location and geography in delivering good response times in rescue services when deciding whether rescue control centres in the South West are merged into one Regional Centre.
(192187)
56
N
Diana Organ (Forest of Dean):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, if he will ensure that each of the fire authorities of the South West will continue to set and maintain standards and service if the rescue control centres are merged into one Regional Control Centre.
(192188)
57
N
Mr Martin Salter (Reading West):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, if he will list the amount of revenue support grant awarded to (a) district councils, (b) metropolitan councils, (c) unitary authorities and (d) county councils in each year since 2001.
(192299)
58
Bob Spink (Castle Point):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what assessment his Department has made of complaints regarding park homes; and what investigations have been made regarding such complaints.
(192894)
59
Bob Spink (Castle Point):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, how many complaints regarding the operation of park homes were received by his Department in each of the last five years for which figures exist; and how many of these were (a) investigated and (b) substantiated.
(192895)
60
Bob Spink (Castle Point):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what proportion of park homes have been the subject of (a) multiple substantiated complaints and (b) any complaints over each of the last five years for which figures exist.
(192896)
61
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what estimate he has made of the cost of abolishing the means test on parents of disabled children for the disabilities facilities grant.
(192893)
62
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, whether his Department plans to commission a study to assess the impact of the Code of Best Practice on Mobile Network Development, with specific reference to how it is perceived by local authorities and the public; and if he will make a statement.
(192906)
63
Sarah Teather (Brent East):To ask the Deputy Prime Minister, what public funds are available to women's refuges for support of women and children.
(192964)
Questions to the Secretary of State for Education and Skills
64
Mr James Clappison (Hertsmere):To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what funding he plans to make available to universities to enable them to promote applications.
(192924)
65
Mr James Clappison (Hertsmere):To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what estimate he has made of the costs of (a) establishing and (b) running the Office for Fair Access (OFFA); what the salary is of the director general of OFFA; how many staff he expects to be employed by OFFA; and what funds OFFA will have available (i) to raise standards in schools and (ii) to promote applications to universities.
(192929)
66
Mr James Clappison (Hertsmere):To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what plans he has to review the benchmarks for university admissions based on (a) state schools and (b) socio-economic status; and if he will make a statement.
(192930)
67
Mr James Clappison (Hertsmere):To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what use he expects the Office for Fair Access to make of the benchmarks for university admissions published by the Higher Education Statistics Agency; and if he will publish the guidance he has given to the director general of the Office for Fair Access.
(192931)
68
N
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, how many language assistants are employed in primary schools in Coventry.
(192155)
69
Dr Hywel Francis (Aberavon):To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what (a) financial and (b) other support is available to private childcare providers.
(193078)
70
N
Chris Grayling (Epsom & Ewell):To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, how many students who applied for student loans (a) before and (b) after the deadline are waiting for (i) the loan to be finalised and (ii) the money to be issued.
(192798)
71
Mr Nigel Jones (Cheltenham):To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what assistance he is providing to (a) head teachers and (b) local education authorities to combat the carrying of knives and other bladed weapons in schools; and if he will make a statement.
(193038)
72
Mr Nigel Jones (Cheltenham):To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, if he will review advice given to (a) local education authorities, (b) head teachers and (c) school governors over disciplinary action to be taken over pupils found carrying knives and other bladed weapons in schools; and if he will make a statement.
(193039)
73
Mr Bob Laxton (Derby North):To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, what guidance is given to CAFCASS as to whether a parent should be present when a child is interviewed during proceedings to decide how much contact each parent should have with the child.
(193013)
74
Keith Vaz (Leicester East):To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills, how many reported (a) incidents and (b) accidents involving knives there have been in schools over the last 12 months.
(193071)
Questions to the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
75
Mr David Drew (Stroud):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what plans she has to reclassify used vegetable oil so that it is not considered as a waste product.
(193028)
76
Paul Flynn (Newport West):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what estimate she has made of the percentage of compensation payments for animals destroyed because of (a) suspected foot and mouth and (b) bovine tuberculosis which may have been paid at above the level of average market values in each of the past five years.
(192881)
77
N
Mr John Horam (Orpington):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, how many meetings of the Ministerial Sub-Committee of Green Ministers were attended by the Department's Green Minister in (a) 2002-03 and (b) 2003-04.
(190874)
78
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she will make a statement on (a) the management of her Department's burial site at RAF Pershore and (b) its plans for the future use of the site and the land adjacent to it owned by her Department.
(193094)
79
Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, if she will make representations to the EU Commission (a) to close the sole fishery in the Eastern Irish Sea and (b) to make a minimum 110 mesh size for cod ends mandatory.
(192941)
80
Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what assessment she has made of the sustainability of the plaice fishery in the Eastern Irish Sea.
(192945)
81
Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, whether she plans to seek EU Commission approval for Fleetwood fishermen to use 110mm mesh in cod ends in the plaice fishery in the Eastern Irish Sea whilst retaining their full allocation of 22 days at sea per month.
(192946)
82
Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what the cod by-catch from hauls using (a)80 mm and (b)110 mm mesh in cod ends deployed by the Fleetwood over 10 metre fishing fleet in the Eastern Irish Sea were in the last 10 years for which figures are available.
(192947)
83
Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what the cod by-catch from beam trawlers fishing for sole in the Eastern Irish Sea was in the last 10 years for which figures are available.
(192948)
84
Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what the (a) quota allocations and (b) landings for cod were for the Fleetwood over 10 metre fishing fleet in the last five years.
(192949)
85
Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what the (a) quota allocations and (b) landings for cod for the (i) Belgian, (ii) French and (iii) Irish fleets operating in the Eastern Irish Sea were for the last 10 years for which figures are available.
(192950)
86
Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what the estimated level of discards were from the beam trawler fleet operating in the Eastern Irish Sea for the last 10 years for which figures are available.
(192951)
87
Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what reports she has received from the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science this year on (a) the operation of the Cod Recovery Plan and (b) the effects of the Cod Recovery Plan on the plaice fishery in the Eastern Irish Sea; and what action she has taken in response.
(192952)
88
Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what representations she has received from Fleetwood fishermen on effects of the operation of the Cod Recovery Plan on the plaice fishery in the Eastern Irish Sea; and what action she has taken in response.
(192953)
89
Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what discussions she has had within the Fisheries Council on introducing selective gear to reduce discards in the Eastern Irish Sea.
(192958)
90
Mr Owen Paterson (North Shropshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what assessment she has made of the effects of the use of 80mm mesh cod ends on the level of by-catch of other species in a mixed fishery in the Eastern Irish Sea, with particular reference to cod and plaice.
(192959)
Questions to the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
91
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on the destruction of cultural heritage of the Baha'i faith that has taken place in Iran, with particular reference to the (a) Resting Place of Quddus and (b) House of Mirza Buzurg.
(193130)
92
N
Sir Menzies Campbell (North East Fife):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, which Minister and officials represented the Government at the ASEM Summit meeting in Hanoi from 7th to 9th October; and if he will make a statement.
(191945)
93
Mr David Drew (Stroud):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will take steps to ensure there is transparency in joint projects between the UK Government and governments who are using, or whose agents are using, mercenaries.
(192957)
94
Mr David Drew (Stroud):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what discussions he is having with other governments about the replacement of Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara when the UN's mandate comes to an end.
(192992)
95
Mr David Drew (Stroud):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, when he last met representatives from the Polisario Front.
(192993)
96
Mr David Drew (Stroud):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what recent discussions he has had with (a) the Sudanese Liberation Army and (b) the Justice and Equality Movement in Darfur.
(193006)
97
Chris Grayling (Epsom & Ewell):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, how many overseas students who have applied to study at universities in the UK have yet to be granted a visa to enter the country.
(193135)
98
N
Mr John Horam (Orpington):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, how many meetings of the Ministerial Sub-Committee of Green Ministers were attended by the Department's Green Minister in (a) 2002-03 and (b) 2003-04.
(190872)
99
Glenda Jackson (Hampstead & Highgate):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, pursuant to his Answer of 13th October, Official Report, column 306W, on Iraq, if he will request US authorities to furnish him with a copy of the (a) terms of reference and (b) findings of the investigation; and if he will place copies in the Library.
(192987)
100
Mr Robert Jackson (Wantage):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will make a statement on progress on the proposed EU-Syrian Association agreement.
(192888)
101
Mr Robert Jackson (Wantage):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, how many fully trained Arabic speakers work for the Foreign Office.
(192889)
102
Tony Lloyd (Manchester Central):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, when UK Visas intends to reply to the letters dated (a) 14th July regarding Mr MA, ref ISB/725541, (b) 16th July regarding Mr MA, Yemen, ref 301/04, (c) 4th August regarding Ms HE and (d) 19th August regarding Mrs RO, ref GV 100/83235.
(193026)
103
Alice Mahon (Halifax):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what assessment he has made of the (a) provenance and (b) reliability of the intelligence that the UK has received on Uzbekistan from (i) the CIA and (ii) other sources.
(193025)
104
Mr Gary Streeter (South West Devon):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what representations he has received from the United States about Mr Craig Murray's speech at Freedom House on 17th August 2002.
(192933)
105
Mr Gary Streeter (South West Devon):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what assessment he has made of Uzbekistan's decertification by the United States State Department for receipt of financial aid because of its human rights record.
(192934)
106
Mr Gary Streeter (South West Devon):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what representations he has made to the United States about Mr Craig Murray's reports that the (a) British and (b) US intelligence services were using information extracted from prisoners in Uzbekistan under torture; and if he will make a statement.
(192935)
Questions to the Secretary of State for Health
107
N
Mr Richard Bacon (South Norfolk):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what the financing arrangements are for the National Programme for IT in the National Health Service; and what steps the Government is taking to secure the buy-in of clinicians to the programme.
(190820)
108
Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many patients were registered with an NHS dentist in Sutton and Merton Primary Care Trust in each year since 1997.
(192938)
109
N
Andy Burnham (Leigh):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many tooth extractions under general anaesthetic were carried out on children aged under 10 years in the last two years in each strategic health authority in England.
(191277)
110
Mr Paul Burstow (Sutton & Cheam):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will estimate the expected total income from prescription charges in real terms in (a) 2005-06, (b) 2006-07, (c) 2007-08, (d) 2008-09 and (e) 2009-10.
(192900)
111
Mr Paul Burstow (Sutton & Cheam):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will estimate the total cost of administering (a) the system for collecting prescription charges and (b) prescription charge exemptions in the last year for which figures are available.
(192902)
112
Michael Fabricant (Lichfield):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, pursuant to the Answer of 16th March, Official Report, column 247W, on Hospital Construction (Lichfield), when he expects construction work to begin on the new hospital at the St Michael's site in Lichfield; when he expects the new hospital to be completed and opened; and what changes there have been in the car parking and future hospital expansion arrangements for the hospital; and if he will make a statement.
(192883)
113
Michael Fabricant (Lichfield):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will make a statement on the financial shortfall of the Burntwood, Lichfield and Tamworth Primary Care Trust.
(192903)
114
N
Paul Flynn (Newport West):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what recent assessment has been made of the merits of using cannabinoids for the relief of (a) pain and (b) symptoms of multiple sclerosis and nausea.
(190526)
115
Mr Paul Goodman (Wycombe):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what the cost was of (a) the Shaping Health Services document published by the Mid and South Bucks Health Community before the consultation into its healthcare proposals for Buckinghamshire and (b) the Shaping Health Services document on Women and Children's Services entitled Creating Better Healthcare for Buckinghamshire, published recently.
(192983)
116
Mr Gerald Howarth (Aldershot):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many nurses have been trained in the UK in each year since the launch of the NHS plan in 2000; and how many he anticipates will be trained in the UK in each of the next 10 years.
(193106)
117
Mr Andrew Hunter (Basingstoke):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will take measures to ensure that all UK recipients of the St Jude Silzone heart valve are alerted to the problems associated with these valves.
(193086)
118
Mr Andrew Hunter (Basingstoke):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will make representations to the relevant authorities in the Republic of Ireland that they should alert Irish citizens who have received the St Jude Silzone heart valve to the problems associated with these valves.
(193087)
119
Mr Andrew Hunter (Basingstoke):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will place in the Library copies of the reports which the Medicines and Health Care Products Regulatory Agency has received concerning adverse incidents involving the St Jude Silzone heart valve.
(193088)
120
Mr Andrew Hunter (Basingstoke):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will place in the Library information collated by the UK Heart Valve Registry concerning adverse incidents involving the St Jude Silzone heart valve.
(193089)
121
Mr Andrew Hunter (Basingstoke):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will place in the Library copies of his departmental advice to UK cardiothoracic surgeons and cardiologists in (a) November 1999 and (b) January 2000 regarding Silzone heart valves.
(193090)
122
Mr Andrew Hunter (Basingstoke):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what information he has collated on the compliance of cardiothoracic surgeons and cardiologists with the departmental advice of (a) November 1999 and (b) January 2000 regarding Silzone heart valves.
(193091)
123
Mr Andrew Hunter (Basingstoke):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if he will take measures to ensure that cardiothoracic surgeons and cardiologists maintain long-term follow-up with the recipients of Silzone heart valves.
(193092)
124
Mr Andrew Hunter (Basingstoke):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what reports he has (a) commissioned and (b) evaluated on the risk of complications to recipients of the St Jude Silzone heart valve.
(193093)
125
Mr Nigel Jones (Cheltenham):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, how many people were treated for stab wounds in each year since 1997 for which figures are available; and if he will make a statement.
(193042)
126
Mrs Jacqui Lait (Beckenham):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, when he expects the first Queen's Ambulance Medal to be announced; and what steps are being taken to ensure that its existence is widely known.
(192879)
127
Mr Mark Oaten (Winchester):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, if his Department will adopt the service standards developed by industry for NHS wheelchair services.
[R] (192864)
128
Sarah Teather (Brent East):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, pursuant to the Answer of 15th October, Official Report, column 404W, on sexually transmitted diseases, if he will break down the number of cases by disease diagnosed.
(192925)
129
Keith Vaz (Leicester East):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what percentage of staff in the NHS are of each ethnic group.
(193072)
130
Keith Vaz (Leicester East):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what powers the newly-appointed NHS Equality and Human Rights Tsar will have to ensure that the NHS employs a fair number of people from all backgrounds.
(193073)
131
Keith Vaz (Leicester East):To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what the terms of reference of the NHS Equality and Human Rights Tsar are; what targets he is expected to meet; and what powers he will have to enforce his remit.
(193074)
Questions to the Secretary of State for the Home Department
132
Janet Anderson (Rossendale & Darwen):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what plans he has to extend the Group Intervention Referral Panel scheme.
(193104)
133
Norman Baker (Lewes):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make a statement on the classification of animal testing procedures as (a) mild, (b) moderate and (c) substantial severity, with particular reference to their effect on animals.
(193084)
134
Norman Baker (Lewes):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what his policy is in respect of the testing of finished household products on animals.
(193085)
135
Mr Huw Edwards (Monmouth):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make a statement on the incident on 6th October when a convicted sex offender absconded from open conditions at HMP Prescoed near Usk; what assessment of risk was made of the prisoner (a) when he was transferred to HMP Prescoed and (b) after he absconded from HMP Prescoed; and what advice was given to local schools following the incident.
(192865)
136
Michael Fabricant (Lichfield):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what percentage of animal experimentation undertaken in the UK in 2003 was not for purely medical research.
(192897)
137
Michael Fabricant (Lichfield):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what percentage of animal experimentation undertaken in the UK in 2003 was for household product testing; and if he will make a statement.
(192898)
138
Michael Fabricant (Lichfield):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will seek the setting up of a Royal Commission to (a) review the (i) effectiveness of and (ii) justification for animal experiments and (b) examine alternatives set out in the document, New Life for Animals published by the Labour Party in 1997.
(192905)
139
Mr Stephen Hepburn (Jarrow):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many cases of anti-social behaviour have been reported to the police in (a) the Jarrow constituency, (b) South Tyneside, (c) Tyne and Wear and (d) the UK in each year since 1997.
(192866)
140
Mr Stephen Hepburn (Jarrow):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many anti-social behaviour orders have been taken out in each constituency in (a) England and Wales, (b) South Tyneside and (c) Tyne and Wear since the scheme's inception.
(192880)
141
Mr Stephen Hepburn (Jarrow):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many (a) arrests and (b) convictions for anti-social behaviour there have been in (i) the Jarrow constituency, (ii) South Tyneside, (iii) Tyne and Wear and (iv) England and Wales in each year since 1997.
(192882)
142
Mr Douglas Hogg (Sleaford & North Hykeham):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many citizens from the new members of the European Union have registered for work in Britain in each of the last five months; and how many have registered under contractors' arrangments.
(193077)
143
N
Mr John Horam (Orpington):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many meetings of the Ministerial Sub-Committee of Green Ministers were attended by the Department's Green Minister in (a) 2002-03 and (b) 2003-04.
(190873)
144
Mr Nigel Jones (Cheltenham):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many incidents involving knives and other bladed weapons were reported to the police in each year since 1997 for which figures are available; and if he will make a statement.
(193040)
145
Mr Nigel Jones (Cheltenham):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many victims of reported crimes were (a) injured and (b) killed by knives or other bladed weapons in each year since 1997; and if he will make a statement.
(193041)
146
Mr Nigel Jones (Cheltenham):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will make it his policy to review (a) sentencing for and (b) provisions for deterrence of crimes using knives and other bladed weapons; and if he will make a statement.
(193043)
147
Mr Nigel Jones (Cheltenham):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will introduce a licensing system for owners of (a) swords, (b) machetes, (c) meat cleavers and (d) similar bladed instruments; and if he will make a statement.
(193044)
148
Ms Oona King (Bethnal Green & Bow):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many failed Palestinian asylum seekers have been removed in the last 12 months.
(192885)
149
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, whether the Government plans to commission further research programmes on the effects on human health of exposure to TETRA radiation modulated at approximately 16Hz, using human volunteer studies.
(192891)
150
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what consultation exercises have taken place with police officers regarding the use of TETRA headsets.
(192892)
151
Keith Vaz (Leicester East):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if he will implement a ban on carrying all kinds of knife other than for professional use.
(193068)
152
Keith Vaz (Leicester East):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps the Government is taking to prevent under-aged children from purchasing knives on the internet.
(193069)
153
Keith Vaz (Leicester East):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps the Government is taking to tackle the problem of assaults on children involving knives.
(193070)
154
Keith Vaz (Leicester East):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what the main targets for the Tampere 2 Agenda are.
(193131)
155
Keith Vaz (Leicester East):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what assessment he has made of (a) the reaction to the outcome of Tampere 1 in (i) Poland, (ii) Hungary, (iii) Slovenia, (iv) Slovakia, (v) Czech Republic, (vi) Estonia, (vii) Latvia, (viii) Lithuania, (ix) Cyprus and (x) Malta; and (b) how Tampere 2 has been received in each country.
(193132)
156
Derek Wyatt (Sittingbourne & Sheppey):To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, on what basis a further Prison Service inquiry is taking place into the case of Gary Rowland, Malcolm Watkins and Shaun Kerry of Elmley Prison.
(193014)
Questions to the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission
157
Kate Hoey (Vauxhall):To ask the honourable Member for Roxburgh and Berwickshire, representing the House of Commons Commission, what the cost of (a) consultants, (b) materials, (c) labour, (d) design and (e) supervision of work was for the changes to the Oriel Room; and where the high desks have been stored.
(193105)
Questions to the Secretary of State for International Development
158
Paul Flynn (Newport West):To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what his assessment is of the effects of the Common Agricultural Policy sugar regime on local sugar production in developing nations in (a) Africa and (b) Asia; and if he will make a statement.
(192869)
159
Mr Robert Jackson (Wantage):To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, how many fully trained Arabic speakers work for the Department for International Development.
(192863)
160
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, how many times during the Greek presidency of the EU the committees on (a) co-financing operations with European non-governmental organisations in fields of interest to the developing countries and (b) food security and food aid met; when and where these meetings took place; which UK Government expert was present at each meeting; what (i) technical and (ii) financial issues were raised by the UK Government expert at each meeting; what recommendations the committees produced during that period; what actions were (A) proposed and (B) taken by (1) the EU and (2) the UK Government as a result of the committee's recommendations; and if he will make a statement.
(193009)
161
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what discussions (a) he and (b) members of his Department have had with (i) the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, (ii) members of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, (iii) the Secretary of State for Defence and (iv) members of the Ministry of Defence concerning (A) the humanitarian situation in Somalia and (B) Somalia's President Abdullahi Yusef's call for international intervention on 14th October; and if he will make a statement.
(193010)
162
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, how many times during the Greek presidency of the EU the (a) European Development Fund Committee and (b) the Advisory Committee on the special system of assistance to traditional ACP suppliers of bananas met; when and where these meetings took place; which UK Government expert was present at each meeting; what (i) technical and (ii) financial issues were raised by the UK Government expert at each meeting; what recommendations the committees produced during that period; what actions were (A) proposed and (B) taken by (1) the EU and (2) the UK Government as a result of the committee's recommendations; and if he will make a statement.
(193016)
163
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what assessment his Department has made of the Sphere standards for relief work; and if he will make a statement.
(193017)
164
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what input his Department had into the establishment of the Humanitarian Accountability Partnership International (HAP-1); what programmes his Department is funding to encourage membership of HAP-1 by (a) UK and (b) EU non-governmental organisations; and if he will make a statement.
(193018)
165
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, how many times during the Greek presidency of the EU the Committee on implementation of humanitarian aid operations met; when and where these meetings took place; which UK Government expert was present at each meeting; what (a) technical and (b) financial issues were raised by the UK Government expert at each meeting; what recommendations the Committee produced during that period; what actions were (i) proposed and (ii) taken by (A) the EU and (B) the UK Government as a result of the Committee's recommendations; and if he will make a statement.
(193024)
Questions to the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland
166
N
Lady Hermon (North Down):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, what he expects the (a) set-up and (b) running costs of the Public Prosecution Service for Northern Ireland to be.
(192564)
167
N
Lady Hermon (North Down):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, what review has taken place of the salaries and staff allowances paid to Members of the Northern Ireland Assembly; and whether he plans to reduce the salaries and staff allowances due to suspension of the Assembly.
(192565)
168
N
Lady Hermon (North Down):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, what steps are being taken to ensure there is no public confusion between the roles of the Public Prosecution Service of Northern Ireland and the Police Service of Northern Ireland.
(192566)
169
N
Lady Hermon (North Down):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, what assessment has been made of whether the co-location of police officers in the regional offices of the Public Prosecution Service will lead to closures of police stations; and what research has been undertaken into the effects of such co-location on public perception of the independence of the Public Prosecution Service.
(192567)
170
Mr Eddie McGrady (South Down):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, whether there will be further consultation on the Government's proposed household water charges in Northern Ireland.
(192989)
171
N
Mr Seamus Mallon (Newry & Armagh):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, what action has been taken to ensure that (a) pupils' work placements in Northern Ireland and (b) the network of local Business Education Partnerships do not suffer as a result of the closure of Northern Ireland Business Education Partnerships (NIBEP); and what steps have been taken to ensure that the knowledge and information system developed by NIBEP as a basis for planning in this area are not lost.
(190658)
172
N
Mr Seamus Mallon (Newry & Armagh):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, what central government funds have been allocated to each local authority district in Northern Ireland in each of the last five years for (a) urban regeneration, (b) job creation and (c) economic development, broken down by funds routed through (i) the Department of Enterprise Trade and Investment, (ii) the Department of Regional Development, (iii) the Department for Social Development, (iv) Invest Northern Ireland, (v) the Tourist Board, (vi) Peace I & II, (vii) Leader and (viii) Interreg III.
(190659)
173
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, if he will make a statement on the level of occupancy of child and adolescent psychiatry in-patient beds in the Province.
(192867)
174
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, how much funding will be provided in the Province for the UK Clinical Research Collaboration for each year of its work.
(192868)
175
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, if he will make a statement on access for health visitors and community nurses in the Province to (a) computers, (b) the internet and (c) IT training.
(192870)
176
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, how many medical school places there are in the Province.
(192871)
177
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, how many missed hospital appointments there were in the Province in each of the last five years; and what the estimated resultant costs were in each year.
(192872)
178
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, how many school nurses per head of population of school age there are in the Province.
(192873)
179
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, what the average duration of delayed discharge was at each hospital in the Province in each of the last five years.
(192875)
180
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, how many bed days were lost as a result of delayed discharges at each hospital in the Province in each of the last five years.
(192876)
181
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, what long-term workforce planning has taken place for child and adolescent psychiatry services in the Province.
(192877)
182
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, if he will make a statement on (a) recruitment and (b) retention of qualified staff in child and adolescent psychiatry services in the Province.
(192878)
183
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, how many child pedestrian deaths there were in the Province in each of the last 10 years.
(192904)
184
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, if he will make a statement on staff recruitment for the new regional cancer centre.
(192907)
185
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, what action has been taken in response to the Lewis Report in the case of David and Samuel Briggs, in relation to (a) multi-disciplinary working, (b) access to supervision for health and social care staff and (c) workforce planning policies for health visiting staff.
(192908)
186
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, how much funding was provided for cancer care in the Province in each of the last 10 years.
(192932)
Questions to the Prime Minister
187
Glenda Jackson (Hampstead & Highgate):To ask the Prime Minister, when and from whom in the Iraqi Interim Government he first received a request for British troops to be moved from their present duties in Southern Iraq to unspecified positions south of Baghdad.
(192942)
188
Glenda Jackson (Hampstead & Highgate):To ask the Prime Minister, when and with whom in the US Administration he last discussed the proposed military assault on Fallujah.
(192954)
189
Glenda Jackson (Hampstead & Highgate):To ask the Prime Minister, when and with whom in the Iraqi Interim Government he last discussed the proposed military assault on Fallujah.
(192955)
190
Glenda Jackson (Hampstead & Highgate):To ask the Prime Minister, when and with whom in the US Administration he last discussed the terms of engagement for the deployment of British troops south of Baghdad.
(192965)
191
Glenda Jackson (Hampstead & Highgate):To ask the Prime Minister, when and with whom in the Iraqi Interim Government he last discussed the terms of engagement for the deployment of British troops south of Baghdad.
(192966)
192
Glenda Jackson (Hampstead & Highgate):To ask the Prime Minister, pursuant to his oral Answer of 13th October, to the Right honourable Member for Folkestone and Hythe, Official Report, column 277, if he will commission an inquiry into why the intelligence information which he defined as wrong was (a) furnished to and (b) accepted by the Government.
(192988)
Questions to the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry
193
N
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what assessment she has made of the effects the closure of Jaguar Motor Production sites in Coventry will have on small business in Coventry.
(192156)
194
Mr Stephen Dorrell (Charnwood):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, how many full-time equivalent employees were working for the East Midlands Development Agency in each year since its establishment.
(192939)
195
Mr David Drew (Stroud):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what discussions she has had with members of the Association of Payment Clearing Services on the sharing of credit card data.
(192991)
196
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what assessment she has made of the implications for the provision of post offices in market towns of the imminent closure of the Evesham post office, situated in a supermarket.
(192916)
197
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, if she will make it her policy to instruct Ofgem to give a high priority to investment by electricity distribution companies to secure supplies to rural areas in the current price renewal process.
(192918)
198
Mr Stephen O'Brien (Eddisbury):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, pursuant to her written statement of 11th October, Official Report, columns 6-8WS, on the Women and Work Commission, what elements of the terms of reference of the Women and Work Commission are distinct from the remit and responsibilities of (a) the Equal Opportunities Commission and (b) the Women and Equality Unit; and what steps she is taking to avoid overlap and duplication of responsibility.
(192887)
199
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, who funds the running costs of (a) vision boards in the North West and (b) Lancaster vision board.
(192919)
200
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, under whose authority a vision board is set up.
(192920)
201
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what the procedures are for (a) appointing to and (b) removing members from a vision board.
(192921)
202
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, how many vision boards there are in the North West of England.
(192922)
203
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, how many jobs have been created as a result of the Luneside East development; how many jobs have been created to be taken up by residents of communities in need; and what the estimated cost per job created is.
(192923)
204
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, who is entitled to apply to become a member of a vision board; and what the procedures governing such applications are.
(192926)
205
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, where copies of the constitution for the Lancaster vision board are made available.
(192927)
206
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what critiera are used for appointing members to the Lancaster vision board.
(192928)
207
Geraldine Smith (Morecambe & Lunesdale):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, how many jobs have been created by the (a) Heysham Business Park, (b) Mellishaw North and (c) Luneside West developments; how many jobs have been created by each development to be taken up by residents of communities in need; and what the estimated cost per job created by each development is.
(192936)
208
Mr Richard Spring (West Suffolk):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, how many sub-post offices have closed in (a) Suffolk and (b) the West Suffolk parliamentary constituency since 1997.
(192884)
209
Mr John Whittingdale (Maldon & East Chelmsford):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what her policy is on the extension of the term of copyright protection granted in the EU to the creators of sound recordings.
(193045)
210
Mr John Whittingdale (Maldon & East Chelmsford):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, what response she intends to make to the Internal Market Directorate-General's consultation on the review of the Term of Protection Directorate (DIR 93/98/EEC).
(193046)
Questions to the Secretary of State for Transport
211
Norman Baker (Lewes):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, if he will estimate the level of carbon emissions from road haulage in each year from 1990 to date.
(193079)
212
Norman Baker (Lewes):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, if he will publish a report on the action he has taken since the publication of the White Paper on Aviation to achieve the goals set out therein.
(193081)
213
Norman Baker (Lewes):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what plans he has to ensure air flights carrying only freight reflect to a greater degree in their costs the environmental impact of such flights, with particular reference to climate change.
(193082)
214
Norman Baker (Lewes):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what steps he is taking to increase awareness among the population about the link between the aviation industry, carbon emissions and climate change.
(193083)
215
Sue Doughty (Guildford):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, which roads have been subject to noise attenuation measures during each of the last three years; and what the average noise level experienced in gardens adjacent to those sites was.
(193076)
216
Mr David Drew (Stroud):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, if he will make a statement on the decision to permit First Great Western to increase the number of intercity trains stopping at Slough; and what plans he has to assess the impact of this decision.
(192943)
217
Mr David Drew (Stroud):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, how many points failures there were between Swindon and Paddington in each month of the last two years for which figures are available.
(192944)
218
Mr Michael Foster (Worcester):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what guidance his Department gives train operating companies on the appropriateness of discharging effluent onto the track.
(193096)
219
N
Mr Greg Knight (East Yorkshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, for what reason all lanes on the northbound carriageway of the M1 motorway other than the hard shoulder were closed on the evening of 30th September between junctions 24 and 25; why such closure was allowed to take place before midnight; when he expects this stretch of motorway to be free of roadworks; and if he will make a statement.
(192271)
220
N
Mr Greg Knight (East Yorkshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what guidance he has issued in respect of the trigger level for speed cameras in the past 12 months; and what changes have been made.
(192628)
221
Mr Peter Luff (Mid Worcestershire):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, if he will investigate possible health and safety implications for commuters between Droitwich Spa and Birmingham of serious overcrowding on rail services.
(192917)
222
Lembit Öpik (Montgomeryshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, on what date he responded to the communication from the Chief Executive of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association UK, dated 22nd September; and if he will make a statement.
(193029)
223
Lembit Öpik (Montgomeryshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what plans he has to charge users of global positioning systems in road vehicles for navigation services; and if he will make a statement.
(193030)
224
Lembit Öpik (Montgomeryshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what plans he has to charge aircraft flying under visual flight rules for aircraft navigation services; and if he will make a statement.
(193031)
225
Lembit Öpik (Montgomeryshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what exemptions he will be introducing to the mandatory installation of Mode 5 transponders in aircraft; and if he will make a statement.
(193032)
226
Lembit Öpik (Montgomeryshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what plans he has to provide non-commercial air traffic with air navigation services without charge; and if he will make a statement.
(193033)
227
Lembit Öpik (Montgomeryshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what meetings he has held with UK Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association representatives to discuss the effect of proposed Eurocontrol charges on general and light aviation; and if he will make a statement.
(193034)
228
Lembit Öpik (Montgomeryshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what plans he has to impose Eurocontrol charges on aircraft with maximum take off weight below 2,000 kilograms; and if he will make a statement.
(193035)
229
Lembit Öpik (Montgomeryshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what plans he has to impose Eurocontrol charges on (a) gliders, (b) microlight aircraft, (c) hangliders, (d) paragliders and (e) balloons; and if he will make a statement.
(193036)
230
Lembit Öpik (Montgomeryshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what plans he has to charge for air navigation services in airspace classified as (a) E, (b) F and (c) G; and if he will make a statement.
(193037)
231
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, how many times during the Greek presidency of the EU (a) the Committee for the establishment of conditions for the interoperability of the trans-European high-speed rail system, (b) the Committee on the adaptation to scientific and technical progress of legislation concerning the transport of dangerous goods and (c) the Committee for the adaptation to technical progress of recording equipment in road transport (tachographs) met; when and where these meetings took place; which UK Goverment expert was present at each meeting; what (i) technical and (ii) financial issues were raised by the UK Government expert at each meeting; what recommendations each committee produced during that period; what actions were (A) proposed and (B) taken by (1) the EU and (2) the UK Government as a result of each committee's recommendations; and if he will make a statement.
(193007)
232
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, how many times during the Greek presidency of the EU the (a) Advisory Committee on transport, (b) Community-Switzerland Transport Committee (rail and road) and (c) Committee on the system of charging for the use of transport infrastructure met; when and where these meetings took place; which UK Government expert was present at each meeting; what (i) technical and (ii) financial issues were raised by the UK Government expert at each meeting; what recommendations the committees produced during that period; what actions were (A) proposed and (B) taken by (1) the EU and (2) the UK Government as a result of the committee's recommendations; and if he will make a statement.
(193011)
233
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, how many times during the Greek presidency of the EU the (a) Committee for granting Community financial aid in the field of trans-European telecommunications networks, (b) Advisory Committee on the management of the research programme for management and storage of radioactive waste and management of the Community plan of action in the field of radioactive waste and (c) Advisory Committee on measures to be taken in the event of a crisis in the market in the carriage of goods by road and for laying down the conditions under which non-resident carriers may operate national road haulage services within a Member State met; when and where these meetings took place; which UK Government expert was present at each meeting; what (i) technical and (ii) financial issues were raised by the UK Government expert at each meeting; what recommendations the committees produced during that period; what actions were (A) proposed and (B) taken by (1) the EU and (2) the UK Government as a result of the committee's recommendations; and if he will make a statement.
(193012)
234
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, how many times during the Greek presidency of the EU (a) the Committee on implementation of Protocol 9 to the Act of Austria concerning transport by road and rail and combined transport (Ecoprints), (b) the Committee for the adaptation to technical progress of roadworthiness tests of vehicles and (c) the Committee for a transparent system of harmonised rules for restrictions on heavy goods vehicles involved in international transport on designated roads met; when and where these meetings took place; which UK Government expert was present at each meeting; what (a) technical and (b) financial issues were raised by the UK Government expert at each meeting; what recommendations each committee produced during that period; what actions were (i) proposed and (ii) taken by (1) the EU and (2) the UK Government as a result of each committee's recommendations; and if he will make a statement.
(193015)
235
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, how many times during the Greek presidency of the EU the Committee on the driving licence met; when and where these meetings took place; which UK Government expert was present at each meeting; what (a) technical and (b) financial issues were raised by the UK Government expert at each meeting; what recommendations the Committee produced during that period; what actions were (i) proposed and (ii) taken by (1) the EU and (2) the UK Government as a result of the Committee's recommendations; and if he will make a statement.
(193019)
236
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, how many times during the Greek presidency of the EU (a) the Advisory Committee for the application of legislation on the development of the Community railways met, (b) the Advisory Committee for the application of uniform principles on costing for railway undertakings and (c) the Advisory Committee for the harmonisation and comparability of the accounting and annual accounts of railway undertakings met; when and where these meetings took place; which UK Government expert was present at each meeting; what (i) technical and (ii) financial issues were raised by the UK Government expert at each meeting; what recommendations each Committee produced during that period; what actions were (A) proposed and (B) taken by (1) the EU and (2) the UK Government as a result of each Committee's recommendations; and if he will make a statement.
(193020)
237
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, how many times during the Greek presidency of the EU (a) the Advisory Committee for the application of legislation on the conditions under which non-resident carriers may operate national road passenger transport services within a Member State, (b) the Committee on the reciprocal recognition of national boatmasters' certificates for the carriage of goods and passengers by inland waterway and (c) the Advisory Committee on aids to transport by rail, road and inland waterway met; when and where these meetings took place; which UK Government expert was present at each meeting; what (i) technical and (ii) financial issues were raised by the UK Government expert at each meeting; what recommendations each Committee produced during that period; what actions were (A) proposed and (B) taken by (1) the EU and (2) the UK Government as a result of each Committee's recommendations; and if he will make a statement.
(193021)
238
Angus Robertson (Moray):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, how many times during the Greek presidency of the EU (a) the Committee on the development of trans-European transport networks, (b) the Committee for granting Community financial aid in the field of trans-European energy networks and (c) the Committee for granting Community financial aid in the field of trans-European transport networks met; when and where these meetings took place; which UK Government expert was present at each meeting; what (i) technical and (ii) financial issues were raised by the UK Government expert at each meeting; what recommendations each Committee produced during that period; what actions were (A) proposed and (B) taken by (1) the EU and (2) the UK Government as a result of each Committee's recommendations; and if he will make a statement.
(193022)
239
Mrs Iris Robinson (Strangford):To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, how many child pedestrian deaths there were in each of the last 10 years.
(192874)
Questions to the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions
240
N
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if he will make a statement on the progress of the Pathways to Work pilots.
(192153)
241
N
Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if he will make a statement on the level of take-up of pension credits.
(192154)
242
Mr Andrew Hunter (Basingstoke):To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, when the Chief Executive of the Pension Service expects to reply to the letters to him of 18th May and 3rd August from the honourable Member for Basingstoke on behalf of his constituent, Mrs F Hughes.
(193080)
243
Sir Archy Kirkwood (Roxburgh & Berwickshire):To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what estimate he has made of the cost of increasing the allowable period of absence for pension credit claimants who leave the country to 13 weeks.
(192967)
244
Keith Vaz (Leicester East):To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, when Mrs S Master of Rushey Mead, Leicester will receive her National Insurance number.
(193027)
Questions to the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
245
Mr David Heathcoat-Amory (Wells):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what proportion of meetings of the Iraqi National Security Committee have been attended by a British representative.
[Transferred] (192990)
246
Keith Vaz (Leicester East):To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what assessment he has made of the ease of access for a British citizen on holiday in Latvia to the Latvian judicial system if he or she should be a victim of crime.
[Transferred] (193133)
Questions to the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry
247
Mr Paul Burstow (Sutton & Cheam):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, if she will make it her policy that, during the UK's presidency of (a) the EU and (b) the G8, all hospitality is sourced from fair trade producers.
[Transferred] (192899)
248
Mr Paul Burstow (Sutton & Cheam):To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, if she will make it her policy to ensure that all Government-funded hospitality is sourced from fair trade producers.
[Transferred] (192901)

 
contents
 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries

© Parliamentary copyright 2004
Revised 20 October 2004