House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2005 - 06
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business 5 July 2005

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for 5 July 2005.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


At 2.30 p.m.      Prayers
Afterwards
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Scotland
*1 Daniel Kawczynski (Shrewsbury & Atcham):    What assessment he has made of the economic impact of the G8 summit on Scotland.
( 8165 )
*2 Ann McKechin (Glasgow North):    What discussions he has made with the Home Secretary on the operation of the National Asylum Support Service scheme in Scotland.
( 8166 )
*3 Mr David Marshall (Glasgow East):    If he will make a statement on the Make Poverty History demonstration in Edinburgh on 2nd July.
( 8167 )
*4 Angus Robertson (Moray):    What discussions he has had with the First Minister about current arrangements for Scottish representation in the European Union.
( 8168 )
*5 Mr David Hamilton (Midlothian):    What discussions he has had with the Secretary of State for International Development on encouraging fair trade in Scotland.
( 8169 )
*6 John Barrett (Edinburgh West):    What assessment he has made of the impact of the Government's aviation policy in Scotland.
( 8170 )
*7 Jo Swinson (East Dunbartonshire):    What recent discussions he has had with his ministerial colleagues about the future of post offices in Scotland; and if he will make a statement.
( 8171 )
*8 Mr Angus MacNeil (Na h-Eileanan an Iar):    What discussions he has held with the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Scottish Executive on off-shoring tax arrangements for crew of Caledonian MacBrayne.
( 8172 )
*9 Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    What recent devolution issues the Advocate General has considered.
( 8173 )
*10 John Robertson (Glasgow North West):    What discussions he has had with the Scottish Executive regarding the development of an integrated energy policy for Scotland.
( 8174 )
*11 Pete Wishart (Perth and North Perthshire):    What plans he has to ensure lasting beneficial effects for Scotland following the G8 summit.
( 8175 )
*12 Stewart Hosie (Dundee East):    What discussions he has had with the Home Office and the Scottish Executive on the introduction of identity cards in Scotland.
( 8176 )
*13 David Mundell (Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale):    What discussions he has had with the Chancellor of the Exchequer on the implications for the rest of the UK of the introduction of a local income tax in Scotland.
( 8177 )
*14 Mr Alex Salmond (Banff and Buchan):    When he last met the Chancellor of the Exchequer to discuss Scotland's economic performance.
( 8178 )
*15 Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North and Leith):    What his assessment is of the implications for Scotland of the G8 summit to be held in Gleneagles.
( 8179 )

At 3 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Minister of State, Department for Constitutional Affairs
*16 Richard Burden (Birmingham, Northfield):    What plans her Department has to involve the public in the Government's review of electoral systems.
( 9184 )
*17 Mr Philip Dunne (Ludlow):    What her policy is on the use of National Insurance numbers as an identifier in electoral registration.
( 9185 )
*18 Mr Stewart Jackson (Peterborough):    If she will conduct research on the ability of juries to understand complex trials.
( 9186 )
*19 Mr Mark Lancaster (North East Milton Keynes):    What her policy is on the minimum legal qualifications necessary for a judicial appointment.
( 9187 )
*20 Miss Anne Begg (Aberdeen South):    What assessment she has made of the different voting systems in operation in the UK.
( 9188 )
*21 Michael Fabricant (Lichfield):    If she will make a statement on the Department's plans to reform the law on duress and undue influence on voters; and if she will make a statement.
( 9190 )
*22 Sandra Gidley (Romsey):    What plans she has to take steps to increase voter participation.
( 9191 )
*23 Norman Baker (Lewes):    What plans she has to review the operation of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
( 9192 )
*24 Dr Alan Whitehead (Southampton, Test):    What steps she is taking to ensure that electoral registration officers have adequate resources.
( 9193 )
*25 Mr Rob Wilson (Reading East):    What her policy is on use of National Insurance numbers as an identifier in electoral registration.
( 9194 )
*26 Keith Vaz (Leicester East):    When the Lord Chancellor last met the Lord Chief Justice to discuss judicial appointments.
( 9195 )
*27 Mr David Jones (Clwyd West):    What her policy is on the minimum legal qualifications necessary for a judicial appointment.
( 9196 )
*28 Mr Edward Leigh (Gainsborough):    What her policy is on use of National Insurance numbers as an identifier in electoral registration.
( 9197 )
*29 Andrew Rosindell (Romford):    What plans she has to change voter registration arrangements for military service personnel; and if she will make a statement.
( 9198 )

At 3.20 p.m.
Oral Questions to the honourable Member for North Devon, representing the House of Commons Commission, and to the Leader of the House
*30 Norman Baker (Lewes): To ask the honourable Member for Middlesbrough, representing the House of Commons Commission, what recent discussions the Commission has had with authorities in the House of Lords on the environmental impact of the parliamentary estate.
( 9199 )
*31 Barbara Follett (Stevenage): To ask the Leader of the House, what plans he has to bring forward proposals for post-legislative scrutiny of complex legislation.
( 9200 )
*32 Mr Andrew Turner (Isle of Wight): To ask the honourable Member for Middlesbrough, representing the House of Commons Commission, how many honourable Members had no office at the end of each week since the state opening of Parliament.
( 9201 )
*33 Dr Tony Wright (Cannock Chase): To ask the Leader of the House, what proposals he plans to bring forward to ensure that legislation is scrutinised more effectively.
( 9202 )
*34 Mr Graham Allen (Nottingham North): To ask the Leader of the House, which Bills the Government plans to submit for pre-legislative scrutiny in this Parliamentary session.
( 9203 )
*35 Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon): To ask the honourable Member for Middlesbrough, representing the House of Commons Commission, what plans the Commission has to relax the rules relating to the use of House stationery.
( 9204 )
*36 Bob Spink (Castle Point): To ask the Leader of the House, what recent discussions he has had on the timetable for House of Lords reform.
( 9205 )
*37 Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North and Leith): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will bring forward proposals to improve the effectiveness of House of Commons committees in scrutinising legislation.
( 9206 )

At 3.30 p.m.Urgent Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Ten minute rule Motion

  1  

PHARMACEUTICAL LABELLING (WARNING OF COGNITIVE FUNCTION IMPAIRMENT)

[Up to 20 minutes]

      Mr Andrew Dismore
        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to make provision for a warning symbol to be prominently displayed on the packaging of pharmaceuticals which act on the brain and central nervous system so as to impair dangerously the consumer's ability to carry out certain activities; and for connected purposes.

        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).


Main Business

+  2  

IMMIGRATION, ASYLUM AND NATIONALITY BILL:      Second Reading.

[Until 10.00 p.m.]

Relevant documents:
Fifth Report from the Constitutional Affairs Committee, Session 2004-05,
Second Report from the Constitutional Affairs Committee, Session 2003-04, HC 211-I, on Asylum and Immigration Appeals, and the Government reply thereto, Cm 6236.
Debate may continue until 10.00 p.m.

+  3  

IMMIGRATION, ASYLUM AND NATIONALITY BILL (PROGRAMME)

[No debate]

      Mr Secretary Clarke
      Mr Geoffrey Hoon
        That the following provisions shall apply to the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Bill:

Committal

        1.   The Bill shall be committed to a Standing Committee.

Proceedings in Standing Committee

        2.   Proceedings in the Standing Committee shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion on Tuesday 25th October 2005.

        3.   The Standing Committee shall have leave to sit twice on the first day on which it meets.

Consideration and Third Reading

        4.   Proceedings on consideration shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion one hour before the moment of interruption on the day on which those proceedings are commenced.

        5.   Proceedings on Third Reading shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion at the moment of interruption on that day.

        6.   Standing Order No. 83B (Programming committees) shall not apply to proceedings on consideration and Third Reading.

Other proceedings

        7.   Any other proceedings on the Bill (including any proceedings on consideration of Lords Amendments or on any further message from the Lords) may be programmed.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 83A(6)).

+  4  

IMMIGRATION, ASYLUM AND NATIONALITY BILL [MONEY]:      Queen's recommendation signified.

[No debate]

      John Healey
        That, for the purposes of any Act resulting from the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Bill, it is expedient to authorise the payment out of money provided by Parliament of—

      (1)   expenditure of the Secretary of State in connection with the Act, and

      (2)   any increase attributable to the Act in sums payable out of money provided by Parliament under another enactment.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 52(1)(a)).

+  5  

IMMIGRATION, ASYLUM AND NATIONALITY BILL [WAYS AND MEANS]

[No debate]

      John Healey
        That, for the purposes of any Act resulting from the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Bill, it is expedient to authorise—

      (1)   the charging of fees in connection with immigration and nationality applications, claims, services, processes, advice and information, and

      (2)   the payment of sums into the Consolidated Fund.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 52(1)(a)).

At the end of the sitting:

  6  

ADJOURNMENT

        Proposed subject: G8 meeting of July 2005 (Mr George Galloway).

        Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m., or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).


COMMITTEES

STANDING COMMITTEES

1Standing Committee D (Programming Sub-Committee) (Identity Cards Bill)10.15 a.m.Room 14 (private)
2Standing Committee A10.30 a.m.
4.00 p.m.
Room 9 (public)
Further to consider the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill.
3Standing Committee B10.30 a.m.
4.00 p.m.
Room 11 (public)
To consider the Civil Aviation Bill.
4Standing Committee D10.30 a.m.Room 14 (public)
To consider the Identity Cards Bill.
5Standing Committee E10.30 a.m.
4.30 p.m.
Room 10 (public)
To consider the Regulation of Financial Services (Land Transactions) Bill.
6Third Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation10.30 a.m.Room 12 (public)
To consider the draft Companies (Audit, Investigations and Community Enterprise) (Northern Ireland) Order 2005.
7Fourth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation4.30 p.m.Room 12 (public)
To consider the draft Local Government (Northern Ireland) Order 2005.

SELECT COMMITTEE

8Statutory InstrumentsAs soon as convenient after 4.15 p.m.Room 7 (private)

JOINT COMMITTEE

9Statutory Instruments4.15 p.m.Room 7 (private)

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]


Written Ministerial Statements to be made today

1    Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer:      HM Revenue and Customs enforcement activitiy.
2    Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer:      The economy.
3    Minister of State, Department for Constitutional Affairs:      A fairer deal for Legal Aid.
4    Secretary of State for Defence:      FALCON Secure Trunk Communication System.
5    Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs:      UK's second report on the Council of Europe's Charter for Regional or Minority Languages.
6    Secretary of State for Health:      Consultation on the independent mental capacity advocate service.
7    Secretary of State for Health:      Review of National Health Service foundation trusts by the Healthcare Commission.
8    Solicitor General:      Revenue and Customs Prosecutions Office.
9    Secretary of State for Trade and Industry:      The 2004 Government Chemist Review.


 

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2005
Prepared 5 July 2005