House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2005 - 06
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business 18 October 2005

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for 18 October 2005.

Notes:
* indicates a question for oral answer.
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer.
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


At 2.30 p.m.      Prayers
Afterwards
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Scotland
*1 Miss Anne McIntosh (Vale of York):    What recent devolution issues the Advocate General has considered.
( 17062 )
*2 John Robertson (Glasgow North West):    What discussions he has had with the First Minister about the level of business rates.
( 17063 )
*3 Jo Swinson (East Dunbartonshire):    What discussions he has had with ministerial colleagues about the proposed closure of the Aberdeen Meteorological Office.
( 17064 )
*4 Pete Wishart (Perth and North Perthshire):    What discussions he has had with the Department for Culture, Media and Sport on a Scottish Olympic team participating in the 2012 Olympics.
( 17065 )
*5 Mark Lazarowicz (Edinburgh North and Leith):    Whether he has plans to mark the 300th anniversary of the Union of Parliaments.
( 17066 )
*6 Ms Katy Clark (North Ayrshire and Arran):    What representations he has made to the EU Commission on the tendering of Caledonian MacBrayne Ferries.
( 17067 )
*7 Mr Tom Clarke (Coatbridge, Chryston and Bellshill):    What discussions he has had with the Scottish Executive on crime prevention, with particular reference to a strategy against drug misuse in Scotland.
( 17068 )
*8 Mr Philip Hollobone (Kettering):    What assessment he has made of the impact on the Scottish economy of congestion on the M1 and A1.
( 17069 )
*9 Anne Moffat (East Lothian):    What assessment he has made of the effects of energy prices on the Scottish economy and consumers.
( 17070 )
*10 Jim Sheridan (Paisley and Renfrewshire North):    When he last met representatives of the Scottish Road Haulage Association to discuss matters of mutual interest; and what issues were discussed.
( 17071 )
*11 Stewart Hosie (Dundee East):    What discussions he has had with the Treasury regarding the impact on businesses in Scotland of the cost of electricity.
( 17072 )
*12 Eric Joyce (Falkirk):    What discussions he has had with the Department for Culture, Media and Sport regarding the potential benefits of the 2012 Olympics for Scotland.
( 17073 )
*13 Mr Jim McGovern (Dundee West):    What discussions he has had with the Scottish First Minister regarding legislation to ban dangerous knives.
( 17074 )
*14 Ann McKechin (Glasgow North):    If he will make a statement regarding the Commonwealth Games 2014 bid by Glasgow City Council.
( 17075 )
*15 Mr John MacDougall (Glenrothes):    When he last met the First Minister of Scotland to discuss drug abuse in Scotland; and if he will make a statement.
( 17076 )

At 3.00 p.m.
Oral Questions to the Minister of State, Department for Constitutional Affairs
*16 Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West):    If she will make a statement on the Judicial Appointments Commission.
( 18516 )
*17 Laura Moffatt (Crawley):    What progress is being made in the appointment of women to senior posts in the judiciary.
( 18517 )
*18 Tony Baldry (Banbury):    What recent discussions the Lord Chancellor has had with the Lord Chief Justice concerning judges making public statements on proposed law reforms.
( 18518 )
*19 Mr Sadiq Khan (Tooting):    When the Department intends to proceed with the next steps towards establishing a reformed House of Lords.
( 18519 )
*20 Mr Mark Harper (Forest of Dean):    What steps she plans to take in response to strike action in respect of publicly funded work by barristers in criminal practice.
( 18520 )
*21 Mr David Kidney (Stafford):    What further measures she proposes to put in place to prevent fraud in postal voting.
( 18521 )
*22 Mr Gordon Prentice (Pendle):    How many barristers are on strike in respect of publicly funded work; and if she will make a statement.
( 18522 )
*23 Jon Trickett (Hemsworth):    If she will bring forward legislation to introduce a statutory duty on electoral registration officers to maximise voter registration.
( 18523 )
*24 Kitty Ussher (Burnley):    If she will seek to make it an offence to make a false application for a postal vote.
( 18524 )
*25 Mr Jim Cunningham (Coventry South):    What plans the Department has to conduct a review of the legal aid process.
( 18525 )
*26 Dr Alan Whitehead (Southampton, Test):    What measures her Department is taking to encourage the registration of electors.
( 18526 )
*27 Richard Ottaway (Croydon South):    What her policy is on all-postal vote elections.
( 18527 )
*28 Norman Baker (Lewes):    What recent assessment she has made of the adherence to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 by Government departments.
( 18528 )
*29 Mr James Gray (North Wiltshire):    What contingency plan she has in place in the event of a strike by criminal barristers dealing with publicly-funded work.
( 18529 )
*30 Mr Khalid Mahmood (Birmingham, Perry Barr):    What steps she plans to take to increase voter registration in inner city areas.
( 18530 )

At 3.20 p.m.
Oral Questions to the the honourable Member for North Devon, representing the House of Commons Commission, and the Leader of the House
*31 David Taylor (North West Leicestershire): To ask the honourable Member for North Devon, representing the House of Commons Commission, what recent discussions the Commission has had on pay and conditions for cleaners employed in the House.
( 18508 )
*32 Hugh Bayley (York, City of): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will invite the Select Committee on Modernisation of the House to examine the case for providing more time for Private Members' Bills to be considered on the floor of the House.
( 18509 )
*33 Ms Sally Keeble (Northampton North): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will bring forward proposals to implement the Procedure Committee's recommendations on the sub judice rule.
( 18510 )
*34 Mr Patrick McLoughlin (West Derbyshire): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will make arrangements for the tabling of written parliamentary questions in any recess longer than three weeks.
( 18511 )
*35 Sir Nicholas Winterton (Macclesfield): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will review the procedures for the programming of legislation.
( 18512 )
*36 Mr George Mudie (Leeds East): To ask the honourable Member for North Devon, representing the House of Commons Commission, if he will make a statement on the wages paid to cleaning staff in the House and the rest room accommodation available to them.
( 18513 )
*37 Mr Graham Allen (Nottingham North): To ask the honourable Member for North Devon, representing the House of Commons Commission, if the Commission will take steps to initiate an architectural competition to redesign the Chamber; and if he will make a statement.
( 18514 )
*38 Chris Bryant (Rhondda): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will ask the Select Committee on the Modernisation of the House to consider the extension of e-tabling to Early Day Motions and other business of the House.
( 18515 )

At 3.30 p.m.Urgent Questions (if any)
Ministerial Statements (if any)

Preliminary Business

Notice of Presentation of Bill

+  1  

WORK AND FAMILIES

[No debate]

      Secretary Alan Johnson
        Bill to make provision about statutory rights to leave and pay in connection with the birth or adoption of children; to amend section 80F of the Employment Rights Act 1996; to make provision about workers' entitlement to annual leave; to provide for the increase in the sums specified in section 186(1) and 227(1) of that Act; and for connected purposes.

Formal first reading: no debate or decision.

Ten minute rule Motion

  2  

AGE OF SALE OF TOBACCO

[Up to 20 minutes]

      Jeff Ennis
        That leave be given to bring in a Bill to raise the minimum age of sale of tobacco and tobacco products from 16 years to 18 years.

        The Member moving and a Member opposing this Motion may each speak for up to ten minutes (Standing Order No. 23).


Main Business

+  3  

IDENTITY CARDS BILL (PROGRAMME) (No. 3)

[Up to 45 minutes]

      Mr Secretary Clarke
      Mr Geoffrey Hoon
        That the Order of 28th June 2005 (Identity Cards Bill (Programme)) be further varied as follows:

        For paragraph 4 substitute—

        "4.   Proceedings on consideration shall (so far as not previously concluded) be brought to a conclusion at this day's sitting at the time specified in the second column of the following Table.

                              TABLE

ProceedingsTime for conclusion of proceedings
New clauses and amendments relating to Clause 15.45 p.m.
Amendments relating to Clauses 2 to 77.15 p.m.
Remaining proceedings on considerationOne hour before the moment of interruption."

        The Speaker will put the Question not later than 45 minutes after proceedings begin (Standing Order No. 83A(8)).

+  4  

IDENTITY CARDS BILL:      As amended in the Standing Committee, to be considered.

[Until 10.00 p.m.]

      Mr Charles Kennedy
      Sir Menzies Campbell
      Mr Mark Oaten
      Mr Alistair Carmichael
      Mr David Heath
      Andrew Stunell
        On consideration of the Identity Cards Bill, as amended, to move, That the Bill be re-committed to a Select Committee.

        If the re-committal Motion is selected, the Member moving it and a Member opposing it may each make a brief statement, after which the Speaker will put the Question (Standing Order No. 74).

For Amendments, see separate paper.

Third Reading will also be taken.

        Proceedings on Consideration shall, so far as not previously concluded, be brought to a conclusion at 9.00 p.m. and proceedings on Third Reading shall, so far as not previously concluded, be brought to a conclusion at 10.00 p.m. (Order of 28th June).

+  5  

MARKETING OF FOODS DERIVED FROM GENETICALLY MODIFIED MAIZE

[No debate]

      Caroline Flint
        That this House takes note of the unnumbered Explanatory Memorandum dated 15th July 2005, submitted by the Food Standards Agency, relating to the Draft Council Decision authorising the placing on the market of foods and food ingredients derived from genetically modified Roundup Ready maize line GA21; and supports the Government's view that products derived from this maize meet the necessary requirements for authorisation under Regulation No. 258/97.

To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 119(9)).

At the end of the sitting:

  6  

ADJOURNMENT

        Proposed subject: Ministry of Defence procurement (Mr Lindsay Hoyle).

        Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m., or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).


COMMITTEES

STANDING COMMITTEES

1Standing Committee E (Programming Sub-Committee) (Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Bill)10.15 a.m.Room 9 (private)
2Standing Committee B10.30 a.m.
4.00 p.m.
Room 12 (public)
(public)
Further to consider the Violent Crime Reduction Bill.
3Standing Committee D10.30 a.m.
4.00 p.m.
Room 11 (public)
(public)
Further to consider the London Olympics Bill.
4Standing Committee E10.30 a.m.Room 9 (public)
To consider the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Bill.

SELECT COMMITTEES

5Constitutional Affairs9.30 a.m.
10.00 a.m.
Room 8 (private)
(public)
Subject: Department for Constitutional Affairs: key policies and priorities.
Witnesses: Rt Hon Lord Falconer of Thoroton QC, Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs and Lord Chancellor and Alex Allan, Permanent Secretary, Department for Constitutional Affairs.
6Defence10.00 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 16 (private)
(public)
Subject: Future Carrier and Joint Combat Aircraft Programmes.
Witnesses: Mr John Coles CB, Ministry of Defence, Mr Allan Cameron, Thales UK, Mr Chris Geoghegan, BAE SYSTEMS, and Mr Tony Pryor CBE, Kellogg, Brown and Root; Commodore Simon Henley MBE RN, Ministry of Defence, Mr Tom Burbage, Lockheed Martin and Mr Steve Mogford, BAE SYSTEMS (at approximately 11.45 a.m.).
7International Development10.00 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 6 (private)
(public)
Subjects: (i) The Autumn Meetings of the IMF and the World Bank(ii) The UN World Summit 2005.
Witnesses: Bretton Woods Project, and The Rainforest Foundation UK; Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP, Secretary of State for International Development, and officials (at approximately 11.15 a.m.).
8Welsh Affairs10.00 a.m.
10.30 a.m.
Room 15 (private)
(public)
Subject: Government White Paper: Better Governance For Wales.
Witnesses: Alan Cogbill, Director, and officials, Wales Office, and Hugh Rawlings, Director, and officials, Welsh Assembly Government; Professor Richard Rawlings, London School of Economics, Professor David Miers, Cardiff University, Dr Roger Scully, and Dr Richard Wyn Jones, University of Wales, Aberystwyth (at approximately 11.45 a.m.).
9Culture, Media and Sport10.15 a.m.


10.30 a.m.
The Grimond Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: London 2012 Olympics: First Steps.
Witnesses: Lord Coe, Chairman, and Mr Keith Mills, Deputy Chairman, London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games; Mr Craig Reedie, former Chairman, British Olympic Association and International Olympic Committee Member, Sue Campbell, Chair, UK Sport, Mr David Moorcroft, Chief Executive, UK Athletics, and Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson (at approximately 11.15 a.m.); Mr Tom Wright, Chief Executive, and Mr Bernard Donoghue, Head of Corporate Affairs, VisitBritain, and Mr James Bidwell, Chief Executive, Visit London (at approximately 12 noon).
10Standards and Privileges10.30 a.m.Room 13 (private)
11Trade and Industry10.30 a.m.


11.00 a.m.
The Thatcher Room, Portcullis House (private)
(public)
Subject: Royal Mail after liberalisation.
Witness: Royal Mail Group.
12Adminstration2.30 p.m.Room 16 (private)

13Public Accounts Commission4.00 p.m.
4.15 p.m.
Room 8 (private)
(public)
Subjects: (i)   The National Audit Office's Corporate Plan for 2006-07 to 2008-09 (ii)   The Northern Ireland Audit Office's Corporate Plan for 2006-07 to 2008-09.
Witnesses: (i) Sir John Bourn, KCB, Comptroller and Auditor General, and officers of the National Audit Office (ii) Mr John Dowdall CB, Comptroller and Auditor General for Northern Ireland, and officers of the Northern Ireland Audit Office.

[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]


Written Ministerial Statements to be made today

1    Minister of State, Department for Constitutional Affairs:      Chair of the Judicial Appointments Commission.
2    Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport:      Government Indemnity Scheme.
3    Secretary of State for Defence:      Chaplains to the armed forces from other faith communities.
4    Secretary of State for Health:      NHS Purchasing and Supply Agency: Annual Business Plan 2005-06.
5    Secretary of State for Health:      Changes to primary care trusts and strategic health authorities.
6    Secretary of State for Northern Ireland:      Controls on smoking in Northern Ireland.
7    Secretary of State for Trade and Industry:      Proposed windfarm at Little Cheyne Court, Walland Marsh, Kent.
8    Secretary of State for Trade and Industry:      National minimum wage: Government evidence to the low pay commission.
9    Secretary of State for Transport:      Rail franchising.
10    Secretary of State for Work and Pensions:      Draft Occupational Pension Schemes (Disclosure of Information) Regulations 2006.


 

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2005
Prepared 18 October 2005