House of Commons portcullis
House of Commons
Session 2005 - 06
Publications on the internet
Summary Agendas and Orders of Business

Order of Business Monday 10 July 2006

Here you can browse the House of Commons Order of Business for Monday 10 July 2006.

+ indicates Government business.
Timings are indicative only.


House of Commons
Order of Business

 
At 2.30 p.m.
  Prayers
Afterwards
Notes:
  indicates a question for oral answer.
 
[R] indicates that the Member has declared a relevant interest.
 
Questions for oral answer not reached receive a written answer
 
Supplementary questions will also be asked. Other Ministers may also answer.
Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions
 1
Mr Stephen Crabb (Preseli Pembrokeshire): What interim targets have been set in relation to his target to reduce the number of people on incapacity benefits by one million by 2016; and if he will make a statement.
(83298)
 2
James Duddridge (Rochford & Southend East): What headcount reductions there have been in his Department since the Gershon Review; and if he will make a statement.
(83299)
 3
Mark Pritchard (The Wrekin): How many people were unemployed in Shropshire in June 2005 and June 2006; and if he will make a statement.
(83300)
 4
Mr Jamie Reed (Copeland): What steps he is taking to increase the number of women of pensionable age who are eligible to claim a full basic state pension.
(83301)
 5
Helen Jones (Warrington North): What steps he is taking to ensure that more staff in Jobcentres are trained to deal with clients suffering from mental illness.
(83302)
 6
Mr Andrew Love (Edmonton): What further discussions he plans to have with employers on the Pensions White Paper.
(83303)
 7
Mr Desmond Swayne (New Forest West): If he will make a statement on his plans for the Welfare Reform Bill.
(83304)
 8
Mr Rob Wilson (Reading East): What assessment he has made of the latest unemployment figures; and if he will make a statement.
(83305)
 9
Ms Diana R. Johnson (Kingston upon Hull North): What progress is being made on improving the take-up of council tax benefit by pensioners.
(83306)
 10
Rosie Cooper (West Lancashire): What steps he is taking to extend access to affordable credit for low income families.
(83307)
 11
Danny Alexander (Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey): What assessment he has made of the effectiveness of Pathways to Work for people whose primary reason for being on incapacity benefit is mental ill-health.
(83308)
 12
Mr Jim Devine (Livingston): What further assistance he plans to make available to people with disabilities who live independently in the community.
(83309)
 13
Simon Hughes (North Southwark & Bermondsey): If he will make a statement on the Department's progress towards reducing the number of people on incapacity benefit by one million by 2016.
(83310)
 14
Paul Rowen (Rochdale): If he will make a statement on compensation for people with mesothelioma.
(83311)
 15
Ms Karen Buck (Regent's Park & Kensington North): What steps he has taken to improve work incentives for households in temporary accommodation.
(83312)
 16
Ben Chapman (Wirral South): If he will make a statement on reform of the Child Support Agency.
(83313)
 17
Mr Peter Bone (Wellingborough): What the total pension liabilities are of his Department and the agencies for which he is responsible; and if he will make a statement.
(83314)
 18
Mr Peter Lilley (Hitchin & Harpenden): If he will make a statement on progress with his plans for pension reform.
(83315)
 19
Keith Vaz (Leicester East): If he will make a statement on the progress of the New Deal in Leicester.
(83316)
 20
Bob Spink (Castle Point): What assessment he has made of the likely impact of pensions reform on (a) business and (b) future pensioners.
(83317)
 
At 3.20 p.m.
Oral Questions to the honourable Member for North Devon, representing the House of Commons Commission, and the Leader of the House
 21
John Mann (Bassetlaw): To ask the honourable Member for North Devon, representing the House of Commons Commission, what recent representations he has received about the use of House dining room facilities for party political fundraising.
(83318)
 22
Andrew Selous (South West Bedfordshire): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will make a statement on how corrections sought by Ministers to matters recorded in the Official Report should be implemented.
(83319)
 23
Mr Graham Allen (Nottingham North): To ask the Leader of the House, what recent representations he has received from hon. Members on improving public accessibility to the proceedings on the floor of the House; and if he will make a statement.
(83320)
 24
Mark Pritchard (The Wrekin): To ask the Leader of the House, what assessment he has made of the merits of enabling more Select Committee reports to be debated on the floor of the House; and if he will make a statement.
(83321)
 25
Paul Rowen (Rochdale): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will make a statement on his plans to modernise the proceedings of the House.
(83322)
 26
Mr Philip Hollobone (Kettering): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will bring forward proposals to provide that Ministerial Statements are not begun on a Thursday until a full hour has been spent on Business Questions.
(83323)
 27
Keith Vaz (Leicester East): To ask the Leader of the House, what steps he is taking to improve the scrutiny of EU legislation.
(83324)
 28
Ben Chapman (Wirral South): To ask the Leader of the House, if he will make a statement on reform of the House of Lords.
(83325)


At 3.30 p.m.
  Urgent Questions (if any)
 
  Ministerial Statements (if any)

Main Business
  indicates Government Business
1
BROADCASTING
[Until 10.00 p.m.]
Secretary Tessa Jowell
 
   That this House approves the Agreement (Cm 6872) dated 30th June 2006, between the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport and the British Broadcasting Corporation, which was laid before this House on 3rd July 2006.
 
   As Amendments to Secretary Tessa Jowell’s proposed Motion (Broadcasting):
Adam Price
Pete Wishart
Elfyn Llwyd
Mr Alex Salmond
Hywel Williams
Angus Robertson
 
   Line 1, leave out from ‘House’ to end and add ‘is concerned that the BBC is failing the countries of the United Kingdom by offering London-centric 6 o’clock news coverage; notes that there is a lack of a mass circulation national Welsh newspaper in Wales; is concerned that the current programme schedule of a “network” 6 o’clock news programme followed by “regional” news programmes provides an unacceptable advantage to London-based parties in the context of post-devolution Wales and Scotland; further believes that “Welsh 6” and “Scottish 6” national and international news services made and produced in Scotland and Wales respectively are required to provide a balanced coverage of Wales’s and Scotland’s cultural and political lives post devolution; acknowledges that such a service is already provided through the Welsh language by BBC Cymru for S4C; and believes a fully distinctive BBC Scotland is necessary to present Scotland’s priorities and establish a sustainable television industry north of the border.’.
Mr David Cameron
Mr Hugo Swire
Mr Malcolm Moss
Mr Mark Field
Hugh Robertson
Mr Patrick McLoughlin
 
   Line 3, at end add ‘but regrets that the proposed BBC Trust will not be sufficiently independent as a regulator for the BBC; believes that the National Audit Office should have full access to the BBC’s accounts; is concerned that the announcement of the licence fee has been delayed without adequate explanation; further regrets the fact that the Charter Renewal process has been separated from the final licence fee decision; and further believes that the BBC’s bid for an increase in the licence fee of 2.3 per cent. on top of the Retail Price Index is excessive.’.
Sir Menzies Campbell
Dr Vincent Cable
Mr Don Foster
Paul Holmes
Richard Younger-Ross
Mr Paul Burstow
 
   Line 3, at end add ‘but regrets that plans for the establishment of the BBC Trust will not provide a wholly independent regulator for the BBC; believes that the planned increase in the role for the National Audit Office is inadequate; further believes that the costs of digital switchover, including the provision of targeted assistance, should not be borne by licence fee payers; and further believes that the BBC’s proposed licence fee increase of Retail Price Index plus 2.3 per cent. is excessive.’.
   The draft of the BBC’s new Charter for the continuance of the British Broadcasting Corporation is relevant.
Debate may continue until 10.00 p.m.
2
CLIMATE CHANGE LEVY
[No debate]
Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer
 
   That the draft Climate Change Agreements (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2006, which were laid before this House on 12th June, be approved.
To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).
3
NORTHERN IRELAND
[No debate]
Mr Secretary Hain
 
   That the draft Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Northern Ireland) Order 2006, which was laid before this House on 12th June, be approved.
To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).
4
DATA PROTECTION
[No debate]
Ms Harriet Harman
 
   That the draft Data Protection (Processing of Sensitive Personal Data) Order 2006, which was laid before this House on 13th June, be approved.
To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).
5
REHABILITATION OF OFFENDERS
[No debate]
Secretary John Reid
 
   That the draft Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2006, which was laid before this House on 12th June, be approved.
To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).
6
ROAD TRAFFIC
[No debate]
Mr Secretary Alexander
 
   That the draft Motor Vehicles (Wearing of Seat Belts) (Amendment) Regulations 2006, which were laid before this House on 14th June, be approved.
To be decided without debate (Standing Order No. 118(6)).
 
At the end of the sitting:
7
ADJOURNMENT
 
   Proposed subject: Funding of bus services in Mid Dorset and North Poole constituency  (Annette Brooke).
   Debate may continue until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later (Standing Order No. 9).

COMMITTEES
STANDING COMMITTEES
1
Standing Committee B (Programming Sub-Committee) (Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Bill [Lords])
6.00 p.m.
Room 7 (private)
2
First Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation
4.30 p.m.
Room 9 (public)
   To consider the draft General Lighthouse Authorities (Beacons: Automatic Identification System) Order 2006.
SELECT COMMITTEES
3
Quadripartite
2.00 p.m.
Room 16 (private)
4
Education and Skills
3.30 p.m.
The Wilson Room, Portcullis House (private)
 
4.15 p.m.
(public)
   Subject: Research Funding.
   Witnesses: Sir Alan Wilson, Director-General for Higher Education, Department for Education and Skills, and Professor David Eastwood, Chief Executive designate of the Higher Education Funding Council for England.
5
Work and Pensions
4.00 p.m.
Room 8 (private)
JOINT COMMITTEES
6
Draft Legal Services Bill
2.00 p.m.
Room 3 (private)
7
Human Rights
4.00 p.m.
Room 6 (private)
[The decision of a Committee to sit in public may be rescinded without notice.]

Written Ministerial Statements to be made today
1
Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer: Publication of the Provisional Outturn for Public Expenditure in 2005-06 on 20th July 2006.
2
Secretary of State for the Home Department: Re-publication of 2005 Race and Criminal Justice Statistics.
3
Secretary of State for Trade and Industry: Review of UK Assisted Areas (2007–2013).
4
Secretary of State for Work and Pensions: Equality 2025: the United Kingdom Advisory Network on Disability Equality.


Standing Committee Notice
        The Programming Sub-Committee of Standing Committee B in respect of the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Bill [Lords] will meet on Monday 10th July at 6.00 p.m.
        Standing Committee A will meet on Tuesday 11th July at 10.30 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. and Thursday 13th July at 9.00 a.m. and 1.00 p.m. further to consider the Charities Bill [Lords].
        Standing Committee B will meet on Tuesday 11th July at 10.30 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. to consider Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Bill [Lords].
        Standing Committee D will meet on Tuesday 11th July at 10.30 a.m. and 4.30 p.m. and Thursday 13th July at 9.00 a.m. and 1.00 p.m. further to consider the Company Law Reform Bill [Lords].
        A European Standing Committee will meet on Tuesday 11th July at 4.30 p.m. to consider the Unnumbered Explanatory Memorandum dated 23rd May, 2006, relating to the Preliminary Draft Budget 2007.
        The First Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Monday 10th July at 4.30 p.m. to consider the draft General Lighthouse Authorities (Beacons: Automatic Identification System) Order 2006.
        The Second Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Wednesday 12th July at 2.30 p.m. to consider the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Regulated Activities) (Amendment) Order 2006 (S.I., 2006, No. 1969).
        The Third Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Wednesday 12th July at 2.30 p.m. to consider the draft Criminal Defence Service (Financial Eligibility) Regulations 2006, the draft Criminal Defence Service (Representation Orders: Appeals etc) Regulations 2006, and the draft Criminal Defence Service (Representation Orders and Consequential Amendments) Regulations 2006.
        The Fourth Standing Committee on Delegated Legislation will meet on Thursday 13th July at 2.30 p.m. to consider the draft Television Licensable Content Services Order 2006, and the draft Radio Multiplex Services (Required Percentage of Digital Capacity) Order 2006.

 

 

 
House of Commons home page Houses of Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries ordering index

© Parliamentary copyright 2006
Prepared 10 July 2006