|Previous Section||Index||Home Page|
The National Statistician has been asked to reply to your recent Parliamentary Question about net change in jobs in agriculture and manufacturing in Wales in 2004. I am replying in his absence. (1084)
The attached table provides estimates of the net change in employee jobs in 'agriculture, hunting, forestry and fishing' and 'manufacturing' in Wales, between December 2003 and the latest available date, December 2004.
|As at December:||Agriculture, hunting, forestry and fishing||Manufacturing|
Mr. Laws: To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer if he will list the 10 local authority areas in the UK with the (a) lowest employment rate and (b) highest unemployment rate; and if he will make a statement. 
The attached tables give estimates respectively of the lowest and the highest employment rates for Unitary Authorities and Local Authority Districts in United Kingdom, for the twelve-month period ending February 2004.
|Easington (County Durham)||57.3|
|City of London||(10)100.0|
|North West Leicestershire||87.0|
|Taunton Deane (Somerset)||86.8|
|Forest Heath (Suffolk)||86.7|
Dawn Primarolo [holding answer 23 May 2005]: Chatham entry processing unit has not been closed. Customs are considering alternative ways of discharging their responsibilities and these will be discussed with the trade prior to implementation.
Dawn Primarolo [holding answer 23 May 2005]: Import and export entry clearance can now be handled, via electronic means, from any location. Given this, it is sensible to locate clearance activity where the best service can be provided to UK trade. Dover has three times as many staff as Chatham and, unlike Chatham, can provide a 24-hour service, seven days a week. Preliminary soundings among trade representatives has confirmed that this level of service will meet their operational needs.
[holding answer 23 May 2005]: Felixstowe, Tilbury, Dover, Southampton, Manchester and Heathrow have been identified as the locations with the greatest volumes of activity. Together they currently handle around 85 per cent. of all UK imports and exports, have substantial numbers of trained staff who can handle the remaining 15 per cent. and are strategically located throughout the UK. The future of non location critical activity at these locations is being considered as part of a major international trade project. The trade are being consulted during this project.
26 May 2005 : Column 200W
Angus Robertson: To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer how many times during the (a) Italian, (b) Irish and (c) Dutch presidency of the EU the (i) Customs Code Committeecounterfeit and pirated goods, (ii) Customs Code Committeesingle administrative document and (iii) Customs Code Committeemovement of air or sea passengers' baggage (technical problems) met; when and where these meetings took place; what UK Government expert was present; and if he will make a statement. 
Mr. Des Browne: The Government fully accepted the recommendations contained within Sir Peter Gershon's report and embedded these efficiency targets into the 2004 Spending Review settlements. Like all Government Departments, the Ministry of Defence is committed to deliver its agreed efficiency targets by 200708,
|Next Section||Index||Home Page|