|Previous Section||Index||Home Page|
Mrs. Spelman: To ask the Deputy Prime Minister what guidance his Department has issued to local authorities in relation to ward councillors sitting on planning committees considering planning applications from their own ward; and if he will make a statement. 
Yvette Cooper: The Office of The Deputy Prime Minister has issued no guidance specifically in respect of actions by councillors sitting on planning committees. However, in 2001 the Government issued the statutory Model Code of Conduct for local government members, which sets out standards of conduct expected of all members. Guidance on the operation of the code has been issued by the Standards Board for England.
In addition, The Local Government Association issued guidance in January this year Probity in Planning: The Role of Councillors and Officers" and this makes clear that members who take an active stand in supporting or assisting a planning application should not take part in discussions on that application and should withdraw from the planning committee.
Yvette Cooper: Article 8 of the Town and Country Planning (General Development Procedure) Order 1995 says that no application may be determined until 21 days have elapsed since notice of the application was displayed or served. This period is to allow people time to comment. Most householder and other minor development must be publicised by notice near the application site, or by letter to those with land adjoining it. Larger schemes should also be publicised by advertisement in local newspapers and on the authority's website. In DoE Circular 15/92, Publicity for Planning Applications", authorities are urged to do more than comply with the legal requirement. Moreover, the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 requires each authority to prepare Statements of Community Involvement, which should include the authority's policy for community involvement on planning applications.
No statistics are kept on the numbers of complaints about the consultation process for planning permissions. If a planning decision ignores some crucial, relevant consideration, it might be open to challenge through the courts.
An authority sets its own closing date for representations about a proposal. There is nothing in law to prevent it accepting a late comment if appropriate. However, if the matter is to go to committee, the authority will need to make sure it complies with the Local Government Act 1972 as amended, which requires relevant committee papers to be made public at least five days before the committee discusses the case.
Yvette Cooper: The Housing Corporation has a range of policies in place to encourage tenant involvement. The Office of the Deputy Prime Minister and the Housing Corporation are looking at ways to strengthen tenant involvement in the future.
Mr. Austin Mitchell: To ask the Deputy Prime Minister what his estimate is of the total number of council houses transferred to (a) housing associations and (b) arm's length management organisations (i)before May 1997 and (ii) since May 1997. 
The first Arm's Length Management Organisations (ALMOs) were set up in 2002. They manage local authorities' housing stock but ownership of that stock is not transferred to them. Currently about 682,000 homes owned by local authorities are managed by ALMOs.
Mr. Austin Mitchell: To ask the Deputy Prime Minister if he will revise his calculations of the amount of social housing necessary over the period to 2010 to take account of the proportion of young people unable to raise the deposit to become first-time buyers. 
Yvette Cooper: Provision of social rented housing to 2010 will be subject to the outcome of the 2007 Spending Review and a variety of policy decisions including our response to the Barker Review. The Government recently announced a number of measures to help households into low cost home ownership.
Yvette Cooper: The Government have reduced the number of non-decent social homes by more than one million. Work completed and plans in place take us 90 per cent. of the way to meeting the target. We are now focusing our efforts on dealing with the remaining 10 per cent.
Paul Goggins: The Department awards all contracts in line with the UK's objective of achieving value for money, and in line with EU treaty obligations on transparency and free movement of goods and services.
Mr. Peter Robinson: To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many football supporters in (a) England and (b) Wales are subject to football banning orders preventing travel to football matches outside the UK. 
|Next Section||Index||Home Page|