House of Commons
Session 2006 - 07|
Publications on the internet
Other Bills before Parliament
Bill Home Page
|Digital Switchover (Disclosure Of Information) Bill|
These notes refer to the Lords Amendment to the Digital Switchover (Disclosure of Information) Bill, as brought from the House of Lords on 22nd May 2007 [Bill 112]
DIGITAL SWITCHOVER (DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION) BILL
EXPLANATORY NOTES ON LORDS AMENDMENT
1. These explanatory notes relate to the Lords Amendment to the Digital Switchover (Disclosure of Information) Bill, as brought from the House of Lords on 22nd May 2007. They have been prepared by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport in order to assist the reader of the Bill and the Lords Amendment and to help inform debate on the Lords Amendment. They do not form part of the Bill and have not been endorsed by Parliament.
2. These notes, like the Lords Amendment itself, refer to HL Bill 35, the Bill as first printed for the Lords.
3. These notes need to be read in conjunction with the Lords Amendment and the text of the Bill. They are not, and are not meant to be, a comprehensive description of the effect of the Lords Amendment.
4. The only Lords Amendment (No. 1) was in the name of the Minister.
COMMENTARY ON LORDS AMENDMENT 1
5. Clause 5(1) of the Bill contains a definition of the term "local authority" in relation to England, Wales and Scotland. Paragraph (a)(ii) of the definition (which relates to England) refers to "a district council for an area in relation to which it has the functions of a county council". This wording is suitable for any district councils in non-metropolitan counties that exercise functions which would (in areas with both county and district councils) be exercisable by county councils.
6. Lords Amendment No. 1 amends paragraph (a)(ii) of the definition so that it refers instead to "a district council, other than a council for a district in a county for which there is a county council". The effect of the amendment is that metropolitan district councils are also covered by the definition.
Bill 112EN 54/27. The amendment corresponds to amendments made in Public Bill Committee to the Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Bill, and will bring the wording of the definition into line with corresponding provisions of that Bill.
FINANCIAL EFFECTS OF THE LORDS AMENDMENTS
8. The amendment is not expected to have any financial effects.
|© Parliamentary copyright 2007||Prepared: 23 May 2007|