|Previous Section||Index||Home Page|
Ms Buck: To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills what the average expenditure per head was on children in (a) primary and (b) secondary schools in (i) the denominational and (ii) the maintained sectors in each London local authority in (A) 1997 and (B) 2006. 
|School-based expenditure per pupil by local authority maintained primary schools in London, 1997-98 and 2005-06|
|School-based expenditure per pupil|
|Local authority name||All local authority maintained pre-primary and primary schools||All local authority maintained primary schools||Local authority maintained primary schools with no religious denomination||Local authority maintained primary schools with a specified religious denomination|
|School-based expenditure per pupil by local authority maintained secondary schools in London, 1997-98 and 2005-06|
|Secondary school-based expenditure per pupil|
|Local authority name||All local authority maintained secondary schools||All local authority maintained secondary schools||Local authority maintained secondary schools with no religious denomination||Local authority maintained secondary schools with a specified religious denomination|
|(1) Figures not available.|
1. School-based expenditure includes only expenditure incurred directly by the schools. This includes the pay of teachers and school-based support staff, school premises costs, books and equipment, and certain other supplies and services, less any capital items funded from recurrent spending and income from sales, fees and charges and rents and rates. This excludes the central cost of support services such as home to school transport, local authority administration and the financing of capital expenditure. Central local authority expenditure cannot, in all cases, be attributed to a particular phase of education and consequently is excluded from the table.
2. Pupil numbers are full-time equivalent pupil numbers and are drawn from the DfES annual schools census adjusted to be on a financial year basis.
3. Expenditure was not distinguished between the pre-primary and primary sectors until the inception of section 52 for financial year 1999-2000. Comparable figures for school-based expenditure in local authority maintained nursery schools are not available for 2002-03 onwards and hence direct comparisons of the combined pre-primary and primary unit cost in 1997-98 should not be made with the unit cost for primary only in 2005-06.
4. The religious denomination of a school is drawn from the religious character field on Edubase (the DfES database of educational establishments). Schools that are known not to have a particular religious denomination are included in the no denomination column whereas the specified religious denomination column includes all local authority maintained schools in London with a specified religious character. Expenditure data for individual schools is not available in 1997-98 and hence we are unable to split the LA level figures for 1997-98 into schools with and without a religious denomination.
5. Spending in 1997-98 reflects the transfer of monies from local government to central Government for the nursery vouchers scheme. These were returned to local government from 1998-99.
6. 1999-2000 saw a change in data source when the data collection moved from the RO1 form collected by the CLG to the section 52 form from the DfES. 2002-03 saw a further break in the time series following the introduction of Consistent Financial Reporting (CFR) to schools and the associated restructuring of the outturn tables.
7. The calculation for 2005-06 onwards is broadly similar to the calculation in 1997-98. However, 1997-98 includes all premature retirement compensation (PRC) and Crombie payments, mandatory PRC payments and other indirect employee expenses whereas in 2005-06 only the schools element of these categories is included. Also, for some local authorities, expenditure that had previously been attributed to the school sectors was reported within the central local authority expenditure part of the form in 2005-06 and would therefore be excluded from the 2005-06 unit cost.
8. All data are subject to change by the local authority.
9. Figures are rounded to the nearest £10.
|Next Section||Index||Home Page|