|Previous Section||Index||Home Page|
27 Nov 2007 : Column 372Wcontinued
|Table 3: Table LAC1: Children who started to be looked after during the years ending 31 March 2003 to 2007( 1,)( )( 2,)( )( 3,)( )( 4) , England|
|2003( 5)||2004( 6)||2005( 6)||2006( 6)||2007( 6)|
|(1) Source SSDA903 return on children looked after.|
(2) Only the first occasion on which a child started to be looked after in the year has been counted.
(3) Figures exclude children looked after under an agreed series of short term placements.
(4) Historical data may differ from older publications. This is mainly due to the implementation of amendments and corrections sent by some local authorities after the publication date of previous materials.
(5) Figures are derived from the SSDA903 one-third sample survey.
(6) Figures are taken from the SSDA903 return which since 2003-04 covered all children looked after.
|Table 4: Average time between child starting to be looked after and being placed for adoption for years ending 31 March 2004 to 2007, England|
|Age at start of period of care||2004||2005||2006||2007||Average time between entry into care and adoption placement for all years|
SSDA903 return on children looked after
Dr. Starkey: To ask the Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families how many children in the care of local authorities in Greater London were housed outside the borough responsible for their care in the latest period for which figures are available. 
Kevin Brennan: The information requested can be found in table 22 of the statistical volume entitled Children Looked After by Local Authorities, Year Ending 31 March 2006 accessible at:
An edited version of table 22 is shown as follows:
|Edited version of table 22: Children looked after at 31 March 2006 by placement in or out of local authoritys area at 31 March 2006( 1,2,3,4,5,6) England|
|Children for whom local authority is responsible||Placement of children|
|All children( 3)||Placed within LA boundary( 3)||Placed outside LA boundary( 3)||Area of placement unknown( 3,4)||External children placed within LA boundary( 5)||All children placed within LA boundary( 6)||Net gain of children by responsible LA( 6)|
|(1) Source: SSDA903 return on children looked after.|
(2) Figures exclude children looked after under an agreed series of short term placements.
(3) Children who are the responsibility of the LA.
(4) Placement is not known or not collected (not collected where child placed for adoption).
(5) Children who are the responsibility of another LA.
(6) Figures exclude children whose LA of placement is not known.
1. Rounding and suppressionto ensure that no individual child can be identified, we have used the following conventions throughout the tables:
Regional figures have been rounded to the nearest 10
Local authority figures have been rounded to the nearest 5
Numbers from 1 to 5 inclusive have been suppressed and replaced by a hyphen (). Zero (0) is shown only when the number submitted was zero.
2. At 31 March 2006, 6,980 children looked after by local authorities in Greater London were placed outside the area of the local authority responsible for their care. This represents 59 per cent. of all the children looked after by local authorities in Greater London.
Information on children looked after by local authorities is collected for the period 1 April to 31 March in the annual SSDA903 return which is completed by 150 local authority social services departments in England.
|Next Section||Index||Home Page|