Tom Brake: To ask the Secretary of State for Health how many operations were cancelled at each London hospital within (a) seven days and (b) 24 hours of the appointment in each of the last five years. 
An error has been identified in the written answer given to the hon. Member for Carshalton and Wallington (Tom Brake) on 10 December 2007. The table contains information about NHS organisations in London but unfortunately two were missed out and one trust from outside of London was included in error. In providing a new table, we have also changed slightly the title to make it more accurate, and included an additional footnote. The correct answer should have been:
|Number of cancellations in NHS organisations in London on the day the patient is due to arrive, after they have arrived and in hospital, or on the day of their operation|
|Name||2002-03||2003-04||2004-05||2005 - 06||2006-07||2007-08 Q1 only|
|(1) Hammersmith Hospitals NHS Trust and St. Marys NHS Trust merged in October 2007 to become The Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust.|
1. Q1 2007-08 denotes Quarter 1, April-June 2007, latest period for which data is available.
2. The table shows the organisations as they existed, at the time of each collection.
3. Some common non-clinical reasons for cancellations by the hospital include: ward beds unavailable; surgeon unavailable; emergency case needing theatre; theatre list over-ran; equipment failure; admin error; anaesthetist unavailable; theatre staff unavailable; and critical care bed unavailable.
4. An operation which is rescheduled to a time within 24 hours of the original scheduled operation should be recorded as a postponement and not as a cancellation.
5. The QMCO collection does not record the number of postponements.
Department of Health dataset Quarterly Monitoring Cancelled Operations (QMCO)
Mr. Laurence Robertson: To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs if he will consider assigning the proceeds of the fine imposed on Severn Trent plc to improvement of the sewage and drainage systems in areas affected by last year's flooding; and if he will make a statement.