Select Committee on Members Estimate Committee Second Report


54. The word "allowance" can be confusing. As the SSRB points out "most of the so-called allowances are in fact mechanisms for the reimbursement of expenditure actually and necessarily incurred by MPs in order to do their jobs." The Committee has not yet heard any opposition to the SSRB recommendation that all allowances should be renamed "expenses". We would welcome comments on this recommendation or alternative suggestions.

Is this change sensible? Or is there more appropriate terminology for House expenditure on Members?

previous page contents next page

House of Commons home page Parliament home page House of Lords home page search page enquiries index

© Parliamentary copyright 2008
Prepared 2 April 2008