The fleet is equipped with a combination of submarine and principal surface combatants, including elements of Russia's sea-based nuclear deterrent force:
- 10 strategic ballistic missile submarines (SSBN)
- 23 tactical submarines, comprising 16 attack submarines and 7 Kilo-class patrol submarines with anti-submarine warfare capability
- 8 submersible support vessels
- 10 principal surface combatants including 1 aircraft carrier, 1 guided missile cruiser and 2 nuclear powered guided missile cruisers, one of which is in reserve, and 7 guided missile destroyers (one of which is in reserve)
- 14 patrol and coastal combatants (8 frigates and 4 corvettes)
- 10 mine warfare vessels
- 5 amphibious and in excess of 130 logistics and support vessels.
The naval aviation arm of the Northern Fleet also comprises 38 Tu-22M bombers, 20 Su-33 (the naval equivalent of the Su-27) which is designed to deploy aboard Russia's only aircraft carrier, 10 Su-25 ground attack aircraft and a number of transport aircraft, in addition to anti-submarine warfare, assault and support helicopters.
Similarly to the Northern Fleet, the fleet is equipped with a combination of submarines (including elements of the sea-based nuclear deterrent) and principal surface combatants, although the forces of the Northern fleet are significantly larger:
- 4 Delta III SSBN equipped with 16 RSM-50 SLBM and 1 Delta IV-class equipped with 16 RSM-54 Sineva SLBM (5 SSBN in total)
- 20 tactical submarines, including 4 attack submarines (7 in reserve) and 6 Kilo-class patrol submarines with anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capability (3 in reserve)
- 15 principal surface combatants, including 1 guided missile cruiser, 5 guided missile destroyers (a further three in reserve) and 9 frigates
- 16 patrol and coastal combatants with surface-to-surface missiles
- 9 mine countermeasures vessels
- 4 amphibious and 57 logistics and support vessels.
The naval aviation arm of the fleet comprises 14 Tu-22M bomber aircraft, 30 MiG-31 fighter/interceptor aircraft, a number of ASW and transport aircraft, in addition to ASW, assault and support helicopters. Naval infantry and one division of coastal defence forces are also deployed as part of the ground forces of the Far Eastern military district.
Black Sea Fleet
Assets of the fleet include:
- 1 patrol submarine with ASW capability (and a further 1 in reserve)
- 11 principal surface combatant, comprising 2 guided missile cruisers, 3 guided missile destroyers and 8 frigates/corvettes
- 10 patrol and coastal combatants
- 7 mine warfare and mine countermeasures vessels
- 7 amphibious and in excess of 90 logistics and support vessels
The naval aviation arm of the fleet comprises 18 Su-24 ground attack aircraft, 18 ASW and transport aircraft and 42 ASW and support helicopters. Naval infantry and coastal defence forces are deployed with the ground forces of the North Caucasus military district.
- 2 patrol submarines with ASW capability (one of which is in reserve)
- 5 Principal surface combatants, including 2 guided missile destroyers and 3 frigates
- 22 patrol and coastal combatants
- 11 mine warfare and mine countermeasures vessels (one of which is in reserve)
- 4 amphibious and 130 logistics and support vessels
The naval aviation arm of the fleet consists of 23 Su-27 fighter/interceptor aircraft, 26 Su-24 ground attack aircraft, 14 transport aircraft and a number of attack, ASW, assault and support helicopters. In addition, the naval infantry and coastal defence forces of the Kaliningrad special region operate under the command of the Baltic fleet.
Caspian Sea Flotilla
The Caspian Sea Flotilla is a multinational venture between Azerbaijan, Russia, Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan, intended for coastal defence and waterways patrol. Joint forces are operating under Russian command, currently based at Astrakhan. Russian assets assigned to the flotilla include:
- 1 frigate
- 6 patrol and coastal combatants
- 9 mine warfare and mine countermeasures vessels
- 6 amphibious and 15 logistics and support ships