1. The financial information used in the answer to this PQ is taken from the Department's s52 data collection.
2. 1999-2000 saw a change in data source when the data collection moved from the RO1 form collected by CLG to the Section 52 form from the DCSF. 2002-03 saw a further break in the time series following the introduction of Consistent Financial Reporting (CFR) and the associated restructuring of the outturn tables. The change in sources is shown by the blank rows.
3. Pupil numbers include only those pupils attending maintained establishments within each sector and are drawn from the DCSF Annual Schools Census adjusted to be on a financial year basis.
4. Local government reorganisation (LGR) took place during the mid to late 1990s.
5. Expenditure was not distinguished between the pre-primary and primary sectors until the inception of Section 52 for financial year 1999-2000.
6. School based expenditure in LA maintained nursery schools was not recorded in 2002-03 and comparable figures are not available for 2003-04 onwards.
7. Figures are rounded to the nearest £10. Cash terms figures as reported by local authorities as at 22 February 2010.